Pengupi

raspberry pi 3 slower than it should

Sun May 22, 2016 12:08 pm

My friend who's got a pi 2 b witch is more responsive than my pi 3 b. I can bearly watch youtube videos at 360p not fullscreen. And it struggles with loading pictures from the search results(DuckDuckGo and Google). And after some browsing the Epiphany browser just closes without anny error. And last, the "sudo apt-get update" command takes forever. Even with a solid 60/60 internet speed over ethernet.

broe23

Re: raspberry pi 3 slower than it should

Sun May 22, 2016 4:45 pm

It has nothing to do with the connection. It has to do with the fact that if he is only using the SD card, the unit will choke.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 22, 2016 4:49 pm

Pengupi wrote:My friend who's got a pi 2 b witch is more responsive than my pi 3 b. I can bearly watch youtube videos at 360p not fullscreen. And it struggles with loading pictures from the search results(DuckDuckGo and Google). And after some browsing the Epiphany browser just closes without anny error. And last, the "sudo apt-get update" command takes forever. Even with a solid 60/60 internet speed over ethernet.
The 2 basic checks are:

Power Supply, a RPi 3B recommend is 5V 2.5A

SD Card a good quality brand and Class 10, which is not a Chines Fake.
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

Pengupi

Sun May 22, 2016 5:33 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Pengupi wrote:My friend who's got a pi 2 b witch is more responsive than my pi 3 b. I can bearly watch youtube videos at 360p not fullscreen. And it struggles with loading pictures from the search results(DuckDuckGo and Google). And after some browsing the Epiphany browser just closes without anny error. And last, the "sudo apt-get update" command takes forever. Even with a solid 60/60 internet speed over ethernet.
The 2 basic checks are:

Power Supply, a RPi 3B recommend is 5V 2.5A

SD Card a good quality brand and Class 10, which is not a Chines Fake.

Got a class 10, but i'm running it from an ipad charger. 5.1V 2.1A

Pengupi

Sun May 22, 2016 5:33 pm

broe23 wrote:It has nothing to do with the connection. It has to do with the fact that if he is only using the SD card, the unit will choke.
what do you mean

Sleep Mode zZ

Sun May 22, 2016 9:13 pm

1. Barely to be able to watch youtube at 360p: That is normal unless you are using omxplayer to play the videos. Are you sure that your friend's Pi 2 is doing better?
2. I suspect that you might have a slower SD card than your friend. The perception of speed of a Pi is heavily dependent on the speed of the SD card. Samsung Pro is a very good card. Samsung Evo and Evo+ are cheaper but should be quite good also.
3. Don't use Epiphany. Best bet is to use Chromium.

gkreidl

Mon May 23, 2016 3:35 am

Sleep Mode zZ wrote: 1. Barely to be able to watch youtube at 360p: That is normal unless you are using omxplayer to play the videos. Are you sure that your friend's Pi 2 is doing better?
The following browsers play 360p youtube video in perfect quality (RPi 3 only):
Software only: kweb, Midori, chromium-browser (after applying this fix: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=148452 ) - Iceweasel/Firefox are too slow!
HW accelerated (all RPis): epiphany and kweb3, but the webkitgtk3 engine is buggy. kweb3 is more stable than epiphany, because it has HW accelerated scrolling disabled. Playing higher resolutions than 360p will sooner or later crash the webkit3 engine (memory leak?). Unfortunately there haven't been any bug fixes for months.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon May 23, 2016 4:17 am

gkreidl wrote: The following browsers play 360p youtube video in perfect quality (RPi 3 only):
Software only: kweb, Midori, chromium-browser (after applying this fix: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=148452 ) - Iceweasel/Firefox are too slow!
HW accelerated (all RPis): epiphany and kweb3, but the webkitgtk3 engine is buggy. kweb3 is more stable than epiphany, because it has HW accelerated scrolling disabled. Playing higher resolutions than 360p will sooner or later crash the webkit3 engine (memory leak?). Unfortunately there haven't been any bug fixes for months.
Thank you for the corrections. I had problems with smooth 360p playback in Chromium but that was some time ago, and without that fix you linked to. (And possibly even with the CPU accidentally limited to 1000MHz.)

Edit.: Tested the Chromium fix. 360p in windowed mode worked perfectly.

Maybe the OP then has a real problem, and should check that his Pi 3 runs at 1200MHz when under load...

Pengupi

Mon May 23, 2016 6:32 am

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:
1. Barely to be able to watch youtube at 360p: That is normal unless you are using omxplayer to play the videos. Are you sure that your friend's Pi 2 is doing better?
2. I suspect that you might have a slower SD card than your friend. The perception of speed of a Pi is heavily dependent on the speed of the SD card. Samsung Pro is a very good card. Samsung Evo and Evo+ are cheaper but should be quite good also.
I dont know how to get chromiun. Tried the "sudo apt-get install chromium". Maby just a spilling error.

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 23, 2016 6:35 am

Pengupi wrote:
Sleep Mode zZ wrote:
I dont know how to get chromiun. Tried the "sudo apt-get install chromium". Maby just a spilling error.
Chromium Browser:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

Pengupi

Thu May 26, 2016 7:56 am

Cant install it, cant remember the error

gkreidl

Thu May 26, 2016 8:07 am

Pengupi wrote:Cant install it, cant remember the error
How should anyone be able to help you if you don't report the error you got?
Try again, note the error and post it here.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 26, 2016 8:15 am

IMO

Use the Official PSU like: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-in-p ... ly/9098135

Start again with a Fresh Install of Raspbian Jessie Standalone: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian

Then fully update as per the Blog: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... e-raspbian

Then install Chromium Browser from the link above.......................
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

Pengupi

Mon May 30, 2016 4:27 pm

gkreidl wrote:

Here is the error:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package chromium is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
chromium-inspector chromium-bsu

E: Package 'chromium' has no installation candidate

kusti8

Mon May 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Copy and paste everything in the code box from that link and it will automatically be installed.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Pengupi wrote:
gkreidl wrote:

Here is the error:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package chromium is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
chromium-inspector chromium-bsu

E: Package 'chromium' has no installation candidate
Why did you not read the link regards Chromium Browser for Jessie on a RPi 2B & 3B ??

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

Pengupi

Tue May 31, 2016 12:55 pm

kusti8 wrote:Copy and paste everything in the code box from that link and it will automatically be installed.
huh?

kusti8

Tue May 31, 2016 6:13 pm

Pengupi wrote:
kusti8 wrote:Copy and paste everything in the code box from that link and it will automatically be installed.
huh?
Go to this link: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195

See everything in the code box? Type / copy and paste that into the terminal.
You will have to press enter for the last command and answer y to all questions.
Presto! Installed!

The instructions in the link are quite clear.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Pengupi

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:42 pm

kusti8 wrote:
Pengupi wrote:
huh?
Go to this link: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195

See everything in the code box? Type / copy and paste that into the terminal.
You will have to press enter for the last command and answer y to all questions.
Presto! Installed!

The instructions in the link are quite clear.
got these errors:
- -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
- and after entering this code "sudo apt-key add - echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" ". It just does nothing. No errors, no progression. Just that usual square.
- ant the same story after this command "sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list"

rpdom

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:07 pm

Read the commands again and copy/paste each line.
Pengupi wrote:after entering this code "sudo apt-key add - echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" ". It just does nothing.
Because that is not the command that was posted.

First command, all one line, including the "|" character

Code: Select all

wget -qO - http://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=bintray | sudo apt-key add -
Second command

echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
Third command

sudo apt-get update
Fourth command

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser rpi-youtube -y

Pengupi

Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:08 pm

rpdom wrote:Read the commands again and copy/paste each line.
Pengupi wrote:after entering this code "sudo apt-key add - echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" ". It just does nothing.
Because that is not the command that was posted.

First command, all one line, including the "|" character

wget -qO - http://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=bintray | sudo apt-key add -
Second command

echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
Third command

sudo apt-get update
Fourth command

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser rpi-youtube -y
Thanks, this really helped. I din't understand it when it wasn't separated :P

Return to “Troubleshooting”