CWbyDesign

OS does not boot after power down...

Thu May 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Please help - I am new to Raspberry Pi and struggling.
I have loaded an OS and it all seems to be working fine, but power down and it never re-boots (only with a fresh OS on the SD Card)

What am I doing wrong?

Regards
Carl

ecotec

Re: New to Pi

Thu May 19, 2016 7:18 pm

which os and what do you mean by power down and never restarts?
b raspbian running get-iplayer and mini dlna server
b+ running volumio
pi 2 - dietpi - pihole, ssh and a few other bits

ViaBitz

Thu May 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi Carl,

How are you powering down ?
Asking as you might have problems rebooting if you're just switching the power off rather than doing a shutdown !

@ecotec, you beat me to it...

Bee_Steward

Thu May 19, 2016 9:22 pm

My footprints into this RasPi World are still very fresh and I share your teething pain.

The experts will tell you never-Never-NEVER just pull the plug on this unit. You'll likely goober the OS on the SD card and thereafter blow another hour diddling with the NOOBS service. But telling you what NOT to do isn't all that helpful.

In hopes this will help, here's a clip from my Diary -Day #1 (and invite any seasoned users to correct or enhance):

====================

Initial OOB Setup - 2016-04-26
Web Browser Preferences – changed to disable pop-ups, turned ON notification to 'Tell sites I don't want to be tracked', and turned OFF 'Remember Passwords.'

Told Network about local network and its Security Key. Connected Ethernet AND WiFi now apparently working together. Don't yet know which one is really doing the work just now.

Discovered QUOTES key is disabled. Fixed by going into Menu:Preferences:Keyboard and Mouse. Now in US Keyboard mode, not UK.

Examined File Manager – no shovelware! [THANK YOU!!]

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW MOST #1: “How do you stop this thing?”

ANSWER: if you lock up while in Terminal mode (big ugly black box with tiny text), don't remove power as this can cause sdcard data corruption. Reboot with 'Alt'+'SysRq'+'B' Also, there's a "shutdown" command in there somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

ANSWER: And if you're running in the GUI "Desktop" mode, just click on MENU|Shutdown.

But (and to repeat) DON'T JUST PULL THE #$@*%! PLUG!!

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW MOST #2: How do I make a copy of the Rasbian disk once I've spent so much time setting it up?

ANSWER #1: In the very latest/greatest version of Raspbian (released May 16, 2016), there's a new app in MENU|Accessories called SDCard Copier. It failed to work for me 18 May 2016 but it will probably get fixed by the time I need it again. Failing that, there's

ANSWER #2: Win32 Disk Imager. A free Windows app that saves a bit-by-bit image of the entire SD card to the hard drive on a PC – and writes it back again to a new SD card, making a backup. I made two backups tonight (18May2016).

=================

CWbyDesign

Fri May 20, 2016 8:50 am

ViaBitz wrote:Hi Carl,

Asking as you might have problems rebooting if you're just switching the power off rather than doing a shutdown !

Hi ViaBitz - I was previously just 'pulling the plug', but after some research, I am now shutting down (re-boot works fine) still no joy.
BTW - the SD light stays on permanent when I shut down (over 1 hr) is this significant?

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 20, 2016 9:22 am

CWbyDesign wrote:

Hi ViaBitz - I was previously just 'pulling the plug', but after some research, I am now shutting down (re-boot works fine) still no joy.
BTW - the SD light stays on permanent when I shut down (over 1 hr) is this significant?
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

klricks

Fri May 20, 2016 1:08 pm

CWbyDesign wrote:

The green light on after shutdown is normal on a recent but older OS version. The newest update changes that back work as it did previously. Now with the very latest update, the green light goes out at the end of the shutdown sequence.
Note do not remove the USB power plug (restart) until after the green LED flashes 10 times.

The red power LED MUST be lit at all times while powered. If it goes out or flickers then you have a bad or insufficient power supply and/or micro USB power cable.

Try a freshly downloaded image on a new card.
Try a different power supply and micro USB cable.

Edit: How are you doing the restart? Pulling and replacing the micro USB, OR pulling or removing mains power to the power supply?
If you are pulling the power supply then make sure you wait some time (20-30 seconds) before restoring the power.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Troubleshooting”