spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

STICKY: Bluetooth not working after update - need info

Sun May 15, 2016 8:34 pm

We're seeing quite a few reports of people who have downloaded the new update and are then getting a "no Bluetooth hardware" error found. We've not seen this problem at Pi Towers, so we'd appreciate help in debugging this from people who have the problem. So, if your Pi 3 is running the latest image and you are having problems, we'd be grateful if you could answer the questions below...

1) Did you install a clean image, or did you update?

2) Had you ever used the Bluetooth hardware on the image before you did the update?

3) If you open a terminal and type "bluetoothctl", what messages come up?

4) If you updated, and you have a spare SD card, please try downloading the clean image and installing it to see if the behaviour is different - can that image find the Bluetooth controller?

5) On the image which doesn't work, try removing the Bluetooth plugin from the taskbar (right-click and choose "remove this plugin") and rebooting, and then try "bluetoothctl" in the terminal again - any difference?

Finally, just in case we struggle to reproduce this, if there is someone in the UK who could post us an SD card which shows the problem, that would be great - we'd send it back, promise!

Many thanks in advance for any help - we want to get this working asap, and the more assistance you can give, the sooner we'll be able to do so.

bleep42

Re: Bluetooth not working after update - information needed!

Mon May 16, 2016 1:49 pm

On a Pi3, WiFi working perfectly.
1) Updated.
2) Never tried to use Bluetooth before.
3) bluetoothctl I'm assuming you also want "show" in which case I get.

Code: Select all

[bluetooth]# show
No default controller available
4) Fresh installation, the Bluetooth works ok.
5) I only get option to 'Remove "bluetooth" from panel' which I did & rebooted.

[bluetooth]# show
No default controller available
Regards, Kevin.
Last edited by bleep42 on Mon May 16, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkanton

Mon May 16, 2016 5:44 pm

After the 5/13/16 upgrade (incl. new 4.4.9 kernel) my pi3 Bluetooth stopped working. I narrowed it down to /dev/serial0 and /dev/serial1 were missing and hence the /lib/systemd/system/hciuart.service failed since it now uses "serial1" instead of "ttyAMA0" in previous releases.

This is the script snippet in question:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/hciattach /dev/serial1 bcm43xx 921600 noflow -

In a separate post - DirkS, indicated that these files were created by 99-com.rules which I did not have on my system.

Using apt-file I figured out that I was missing the raspberrypi-sys-mods package. Once I did an apt-get of the package Bluetooth is working again.

> apt-file search 99-com.rules
raspberrypi-sys-mods: /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules
> apt-get install raspberrypi-sys-mods

1) update (via apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade)
2) yes it was working well until the 5/13/16 update
3) n/a - I have it working now
4) n/a - I have it working now
5) n/a - I have it working now

PhilE

Mon May 16, 2016 6:26 pm

You're a star - thank you from all those affected, and from us engineers who've been unable to reproduce the problem.

bleep42

Mon May 16, 2016 6:53 pm

PhilE wrote:You're a star - thank you from all those affected, and from us engineers who've been unable to reproduce the problem.
Hi Phil,
This hasn't worked for me, as I already have raspberrypi-sys-mods

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-sys-mods
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
raspberrypi-sys-mods is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libxfce4ui-1-0 wiringpi xfce-keyboard-shortcuts
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Regards, Kevin.

PhilE

Re: [SOLVED] Bluetooth not working after update

Mon May 16, 2016 6:59 pm

Do you have /dev/serial*?

bleep42

Mon May 16, 2016 7:09 pm

PhilE wrote:Do you have /dev/serial*?
Hi Phil,
Yes serial0 and serial1 on my original installation.
I have now been able to download the image and flash it, the Bluetooth works ok on that fresh installation, similarly I have serial0 and serial1 on the fresh installation.
Regards, Kevin.

timjstone

Tue May 17, 2016 1:28 pm

i have the same problem, but even with a fresh install, jessie 2016-05-10, i still get nothing.

the only thing extra that is attached is a 7" touchscreen, but i can't see how that will make a difference.

Tim

Douglas6

Tue May 17, 2016 2:19 pm

There was another report of an Adafruit touchscreen interfering with the onboard Bluetooth. Could you test Bluetooth before installing the touchscreen?

PhilE

Tue May 17, 2016 2:23 pm

@timjstone A fresh installation should work out of the box. What is your power supply rated at, and do you have anything else drawing power? As Douglas6 says, try without the screen first.

@kevin42 I'm happy you have a working system now. We're trying to get hold of a card with a failed update so we can see what went wrong.

bleep42

Tue May 17, 2016 4:54 pm

PhilE wrote:@timjstone A fresh installation should work out of the box. What is your power supply rated at, and do you have anything else drawing power? As Douglas6 says, try without the screen first.

@kevin42 I'm happy you have a working system now. We're trying to get hold of a card with a failed update so we can see what went wrong.
Hi Phil, I don't really, as I don't want to use a fresh install, I have a lot of stuff on my original installation which I want to keep and don't want to go through setting up again, so I'll wait to hear if you find a fix and hopefully implement that as I'm in no rush for BT.
Regards Kevin.

timjstone

Wed May 18, 2016 7:58 am

using the official touch screen and the offical power supply, wifi is fine, just bluetooth adaptor not found. did work with the previous build, just when updating it stopped working - i think i will try with an old build to see if that fixes it

spl23

Wed May 18, 2016 1:05 pm

OK, we think we have found the problem - the card we have examined which had this problem was missing the Pi-specific Bluetooth support package that was released in the previous Jessie release.

If your Bluetooth controller is not found, please try "sudo apt-get install pi-bluetooth" and see if that fixes it. (If the package is already present, try "sudo apt-get --reinstall install pi-bluetooth" to force a reinstall.)

Bee_Steward

Wed May 18, 2016 2:33 pm

My Bluetooth is WORKING as before. No problems here.

But "as before" also means my RasPi still refuses to boot up fully functional and connected to my iPazzPort Bluetooth mini keyboard/mouse pad. I still have to boot up with an old USB keyboard/mouse and then manually fiddle with the Bluetooth service to connect iPazzPort. When THAT connects, I can then disconnect the original keyboard/mouse and proceed normally.

So, while you're tweaking the Bluetooth code, could you let the user boot up with Bluetooth already enabled and looking to connect to a paired keyboard/mouse device?

THANKS!

Rick

tkerwel

Wed May 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Moinzeit from Bremen, Germany,
well after updating i had trouble with the manual installed blueman packet. after removing it, i could use bloototh and find my device and pair.
just when i try to use it (thru the speaker symbol) i get the error:
Failed to connect to device - GDBus.org.bluez.Error.Failed:No such file or directory
Try to connect again
any idea to solve it, i dont like to start with a fresh installation, cause i add a lot of other stuff and did not make a clone of the sd card before updating...
greetings thomas

bleep42

Wed May 18, 2016 4:15 pm

spl23 wrote:OK, we think we have found the problem - the card we have examined which had this problem was missing the Pi-specific Bluetooth support package that was released in the previous Jessie release.

If your Bluetooth controller is not found, please try "sudo apt-get install pi-bluetooth" and see if that fixes it. (If the package is already present, try "sudo apt-get --reinstall install pi-bluetooth" to force a reinstall.)
Yay, that works perfectly for me :-) didn't even need a reboot, the Bluetooth symbol just turned blue and it seems to be behaving now. :)
I also did the "sudo apt-get install pi-bluetooth" (it wasn't installed), on a Pi2 that I use a lot and then plugged a Bluetooth dongle in and that worked as well. :D
Many thanks for sorting this out.
Regards, Kevin.
Last edited by bleep42 on Wed May 18, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tkerwel

Wed May 18, 2016 4:47 pm

by the way when i try sudo apt-get --reinstall install pi-bluetooth"

i got the message:

Job for hciuart.service failed. See 'systemctl status hciuart.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

timjstone

Wed May 18, 2016 8:42 pm

i tried to reinstall pi-bluetooth and i get the same message "No Bluetooth Adapter found" and also the same systemctl error as previously reported

spl23

Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Bee_Steward wrote:My Bluetooth is WORKING as before. No problems here.

But "as before" also means my RasPi still refuses to boot up fully functional and connected to my iPazzPort Bluetooth mini keyboard/mouse pad. I still have to boot up with an old USB keyboard/mouse and then manually fiddle with the Bluetooth service to connect iPazzPort. When THAT connects, I can then disconnect the original keyboard/mouse and proceed normally.

So, while you're tweaking the Bluetooth code, could you let the user boot up with Bluetooth already enabled and looking to connect to a paired keyboard/mouse device?

THANKS!

Rick
That should work - it certainly does in my testing here. I have paired my Pi with both an Apple Magic Mouse and an old Palm portable Bluetooth keyboard. If they are connected and I reboot the Pi, both are usable when the Pi restarts - you need to click the mouse button and hit a key on the keyboard to wake them both up, but they then connect automatically and work from there on.

I suspect your keyboard/mouse combo is not waking from sleep properly; from what I have seen, the keyboard / mouse need to be trying to connect to make the reconnection happen.

timjstone

Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 am

More info
running "sudo systemctl status hciuart.service -l " gives the following
it seems to fail to talk to the module

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl status hciuart.service -l ● hciuart.service - Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/hciuart.service; enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2016-05-18 21:13:31 UTC; 10h ago
Process: 1059 ExecStart=/usr/bin/hciattach /dev/serial1 bcm43xx 921600 noflow - (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi hciattach[1059]: Initialization timed out.
May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi hciattach[1059]: bcm43xx_init
May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: hciuart.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART.
May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit hciuart.service entered failed state.

aoakley

Thu May 19, 2016 10:26 am

Hit this problem when updating a headless image based off Jessie Lite on a Pi3.

What worked for me to resolve it, was installing raspberrypi-sys-mods as indicated in earlier post (thanks):

> systemctl status hciuart.service
Shows failed. Also if you reboot, you see a hciuart error message during the boot-up messages.

To fix this:
> sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-sys-mods
When prompted to overwrite the config, type Y

> sudo apt-get install --reinstall pi-bluetooth
Still shows an error, let's reboot to pick up the new UART config

> sudo shutdown -r now
Note that we no longer get an hciuart error message during boot

Once rebooted, do:
> systemctl status hciuart.service
Now shows Bluetooth loaded and active (running)
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

spl23

Thu May 19, 2016 10:26 am

timjstone wrote:More info
running "sudo systemctl status hciuart.service -l " gives the following
it seems to fail to talk to the module

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl status hciuart.service -l ● hciuart.service - Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/hciuart.service; enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2016-05-18 21:13:31 UTC; 10h ago
Process: 1059 ExecStart=/usr/bin/hciattach /dev/serial1 bcm43xx 921600 noflow - (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi hciattach[1059]: Initialization timed out.
May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi hciattach[1059]: bcm43xx_init
May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: hciuart.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART.
May 18 21:13:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit hciuart.service entered failed state.

If you are seeing this with a clean install of the new Jessie image (which I think is what you said you had done above?), it sounds as if you may have a hardware problem on the board; we've never seen a clean image have any problems talking to the BT hardware here.

baoshi

Sun May 22, 2016 12:22 am

Mine situation:
Burn clean 2016-05-10 image, BT/Wifi works for a while.
After update: both BT/WiFi gone
Redo a clean image, still no BT/WiFi
Having /dev/serial1, but no serial0
bluetoothctl says no Bluetooth adapter found even if I only boots into console.
Theses an error boot message "mmc1: error -110 whilst initialising SDIO card"

PhilE

Sun May 22, 2016 7:26 am

What's in your config.txt?

UglyMike

Sun May 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi, more or less similar situation here:
1 working bluetooth setup
2 follow the update/dist-upgrade instructions in the Raspbian Update post
3 Bluetooth no longer functioning after several reboots. bluetoothctl shows 'No default controller available'
4 Now I have 2 bluetooth icons, one grey: no controller found, one blue but with red x lower right
5 try re-install of raspberrypi-sys-mods to no avail (had it to begin with)
6 try re-install of pi-bluetooth to no avail (had it to begin with)
7 remove bluetooth icons, reboot, no difference

However, when I do "sudo systemctl -l status hciuart.service", I get:
May 22 19:46:44 raspberrypi hciattach[1313]: Can't open serial port: No such file or directory
and indeed, I have no serial in /dev
Earlier in this thread, someone asked already to check this file/device. The person with the issue however had the serial entry. I do not. So, any ideas on what steps I need to take to fix this serial issue? (and how to make the bluetooth icon reappear in the taskbar?)

Thanks for the help.

Uglymike

Return to “Troubleshooting”