nuggetz

Something broke youtube

Sat May 14, 2016 6:48 pm

I'm running Raspbian on a pi3 because it seems to give the best performance. Anyway, I recently installed some packages to get an adafruit temperature sensor working over i2c and now every time I try and view youtube videos via epiphany I see the "missing plug-in" message in the play window and a video never appears. I used to see that message for a split second before on occasion but it would go away and the video would start. Not sure what broke it but does anyone know if I can reinstall anything to restore functionality?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Something broke youtube

Sat May 14, 2016 6:59 pm

guaranteed one has nothing to do with the other...

nuggetz

Sat May 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Why do you say that? Been watching videos all morning and the only thing that I changed was following the guide on adafruit's site to set up one of their temperature sensors and enabling i2c. That's it. Why would it stop working all of a sudden?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 pm

because I2C is hardware, or a most a driver issue, and viewing youtube is 100% software, or at most a GPU issue, hardly anything in those two systems that overlaps, and it must for one thing to affect the other.
its simply logic.

off course, it all depends on the "some packages" you installed.

nuggetz

Sat May 14, 2016 7:14 pm

What about python packages? This is what the guide had me install. Maybe you can do the same and tell me if it kills youtube for you.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential python-dev python-pip python-smbus git

sudo pip install RPi.GPIO

cd ~
git clone https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Python_MCP9808.git
cd Adafruit_Python_MCP9808
sudo python setup.py install

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 14, 2016 7:29 pm

I do not use my PI to watch YouTube, so no sorry, can't help you...

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 14, 2016 7:50 pm

nuggetz wrote:I'm running Raspbian on a pi3 because it seems to give the best performance. Anyway, I recently installed some packages to get an adafruit temperature sensor working over i2c and now every time I try and view youtube videos via epiphany I see the "missing plug-in" message in the play window and a video never appears. I used to see that message for a split second before on occasion but it would go away and the video would start. Not sure what broke it but does anyone know if I can reinstall anything to restore functionality?
YouTube missing plugin normally relates to videos in Flash Format

Youtube should use HTML5 Player see: https://www.youtube.com/html5
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

stderr

Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 pm

nuggetz wrote:What about python packages? This is what the guide had me install. Maybe you can do the same and tell me if it kills youtube for you.
I don't know how you are viewing youtube, is this within a browser? If you download the video using youtube-dl and then view it with omxplayer, does it work?

nuggetz

Sat May 14, 2016 8:16 pm

Was using Epiphany to view youtube videoes. Anyway, I tried visiting the html5 page and then clicked on request HTML5 player and now it seems to work. This is strange. Only thing that changed were the install of the packages I listed earlier. Thanks fruitoftheloom for posting that.

Rive

Sat May 14, 2016 8:18 pm

nuggetz wrote:Was using Epiphany to view youtube videos.
Youtube works alot better using Chrome (chromium) browser on the Pi 3.
https://youtu.be/EvDg2yiyd1w
DNPNWO

Return to “Troubleshooting”