JonB

Horrifying USB error count

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:40 pm

I am trying out Rasbian "Pisces" image v3, the latest.

Today I thought I would try and install Mate as I don't cate that much for LXDE. On apt-get install mate-core I see what looks like an output from the system log. There are thousands of USB related errors flying past:

cannot reset port 1
usb new high speed USB device detected (it's talking about the keyboard)
USB Disconnect

etc, etc, round and round.

Is this a problem with Rasbian or the Pi's USB implementation in general? I have been reading the "Elephant in our room" thread with interest. The whole thing is dreadful and I am surprised we are not running out of disk space, such is the volume of repeated messages sent to the log file - and it might explain why I find Raspberian is no faster than the old softfloat Debian image...

For the record, I am using a Motorola Lapdock setup, so there is a hub connected (it is inside the lapdock itself).

What the deuce is going on?

Cheers

JonB

[Edit: Removing the lapdock USB connection on the Pi stopped it dead. Of course now I don't have a keyboard or mouse...]

RaTTuS

Re: Horrifying USB error count

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:42 pm

try unplugging things
make sure you have the
rpi-update
and
hci-bcm2708.sync_after_dma=0
at the end of /boot/cmdline.txt
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

JonB

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for your advice, RaTTuS. Sadly this does not have any effect in Raspbian (or the old Debian Squeeze image, either).

The USB hub inside the Lapdock seems to be disconnecting of its own accord, then reconnecting. It's like the plug is being pulled then reinserted every 3 seconds.

I think this may be an "Elephant" problem. What a shame, the Lapdock is such a lovely integrated solution.... have to stop using it now. :(

Unplugging physically after testing it is even worse. Gazillions of errors, and cannot ^C out of the tail command. Pull the power plug is only solution. Imagine if I had a HDD plugged in! Boom.

redhawk

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:48 pm

What rated power supply are you using??

Richard S.

JonB

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Lapdock's own built in battery.

I have also used various others successfully - iPhone, generic USB power supply (1 amp), etc. Point is, the Lapdock is a powered hub and there is no power connected to the Pi's USB port, only the Pi's power socket (per the "I made a Raspberry Pi Laptop" thread, the Y cable connects only the data lines to the Pi's USB).

Update - Still doesn't work. I have run rpi-update and set config.txt per RaTTuS's comment (also tried sdhci-... config which is mentioned in the Elephant thread, no joy).

Lob0426

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:26 am

Are you trying to use a USB WiFi attached to the Lapdock? Thats when I saw this problem on mine.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

JonB

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Nope, it is just the Lapdock with nothing plugged into the rear ports. Of course, the keyboard and trackpad are connected to the Lapdock's internal hub, but then so is yours.

Krella Krentoshi

Sun May 24, 2015 4:59 am

Has this ever been fixed? I too am having USB error messages on startup of raspbian with the y lapdock cable. Watching my boot script it says something about a 'low power USB device'.......and it eventually quits trying to connect the data side of the y cable...so no keyboard or mouse. The power side works fine.

RaTTuS

Mon May 25, 2015 8:20 am

yes - this was 3 years back - post a new thread with all the info you can muster and see what we can find
RPi versions, model numbers, urls to everythig you have plkugged in
what voltage you get when measuring
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “Troubleshooting”