Asdfgh1995

Yay old tech?.... wifi question

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:00 am

Hello All,

So I have my Raspberry Pi 3B with 802.11n wifi support built in, awesome. I have my own personal router, not something on loan from the cable company/ISP, another awesome.

But that is where the awesome ends because the router is probably about half as old as I am and I am a college junior... It only supports B and G wifi and so I am trying to figure out if this is the end of my router/wifi connected Pi dreams or if there is some way I can make the 802.11n muddle through with what I have just at a lower speed.

For the record, at this point I am not even completely interested in finding/implementing a fix because I have ethernet cables running all over my apartment so it is not the end of the world if I can't get my pi on wifi but I am genuinely curious as to if anyone else has had or solved this problem. At this point all of my internet research so far pretty much points to the opposite scenario, having an N or AC level router and whether or not it would work with other older a, b, and g tech.

Any insights or additional thoughts to this situation would be appreciated.

PS ignore the username, all of my usual go to's were already taken.
Last edited by Asdfgh1995 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Yay old tech?.... wifi question

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:47 am

Asdfgh1995 wrote:Hello All,

So I have my Raspberry Pi 3B with 802.11n wifi support built in, awesome. I have my own personal router, not something on loan from the cable company/ISP, another awesome.

But that is where the awesome ends because the router is probably about half as old as I am and I am a college junior... It only supports B and G wifi and so I am trying to figure out if this is the end of my router/wifi connected Pi dreams or if there is some way I can make the 802.11n muddle through with what I have just at a lower speed.

For the record, at this point I am not even completely interested in finding/implementing a fix because I have ethernet cables running all over my apartment so it is not the end of the world if I can't get my pi on wifi but I am genuinely curious as to if anyone else has had or solved this problem. At this point all of my internet research so far pretty much points to the opposite scenario, having an N or AC level router and whether or not it would work with other older a, b, and g tech.

Does your Router support Wireless WPA Authentication ?

Wireless is backward compatible and the RPi 3B uses the WiFi/Bluetooth BCM4334

""The chip includes IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n single-stream MAC/baseband/radio""

https://www.broadcom.com/products/Wirel ... ns/BCM4334
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Asdfgh1995

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:11 pm

It does and i could make that change. I had wondered if it was an unsupported security protocol that was messing with me but I didn't expect WEP to be the one to do the messing with me.

Asdfgh1995

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Asdfgh1995 wrote:Hello All,

Does your Router support Wireless WPA Authentication ?

Wireless is backward compatible and the RPi 3B uses the WiFi/Bluetooth BCM4334

""The chip includes IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n single-stream MAC/baseband/radio""

https://www.broadcom.com/products/Wirel ... ns/BCM4334
Yes my router is now set up with WPA2-PSK(AES) now and now its just setting up the config files correctly since the gui utility doesn't seem to let you set up or choose all this stuff yourself through it.

Return to “Troubleshooting”