sandra6

Sorry, need help with VPN client setup

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:50 am

I like to try and solve my own problems, but I'm just going round in circles wit this now so have come to ask for guidance please.

I have my own private VPN server setup with my ASUS router, it can be either PPTP or OpenVPN and have my own.ovpn file generated for use by the client.

Up to now when away from home I connect to my VPN server with either Windows or Android and its very easy, I enter my server address, username and password on the client device and its done, the device is connected and traffic is now routed through my own VPN tunnel.

I now have an RPI with Jessie installed and would like to use it and connect as a client to my VPN server as I do with Windows and Android devices. I've installed openvpn and followed this guide, amongst many

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... heezy-lxde

to try and manage a new VPN connection with NetworkManager as it seems the most straightforward, but I can get it run on my RPI 3. I've installed everything from the guide above and NetworkManager doesn't appear in my applications, and when I type in a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo NetworkManager
nothing happens, no error message and NetworkManager doesn't start.

I know I must be something very simple that is wrong, but I'm pulling my hair out and just need pointing in the right direction please.

Thank you for any help.

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Sorry, need help with VPN client setup

Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:11 am

hi, using your .ovnp file from gnu+linux (including from your RPi ) is easy... most people make it WAY too difficult. See the bottom of this post.

First, though, understand that each .ovpn file should be unique for each device attached (I call them 'clients'). Mine are called:
Client1.ovpn
Client2.ovpn
Client3.ovpn

... why does this matter? glad you asked, because each client can only be attached once. Usually, each client will have its own .ovpn file and if you are going to have more than one client attached you will need to create another ClientX.ovpn file for it. All of your devices can 'share' an .ovpn file but only one at a time.

This is how to attach your PI to your openVPN server using the terminal (assuming you have installed openvpn from the repositories with sudo apt-get install openvpn

Code: Select all

sudo openvpn ~/clients/Clinet1.ovpn
The above assumes that your .ovpn files are in ~/clients/ and that openvpn is installed. Also, that your RPi has a connection with the network (eth0 or wlan0).

You may get some errors about not being able to establish a static route (?) in the routing table but the end of the messages should indicate established connection... if not, what messages do you get?

Once connected minimize but don't close the terminal where openvpn is running; you will continue to get logging messages there.

I use my RPi as the openVPN server (running from home) and I use my gnu+linux HP (Mint), or my tablet, as the client(s). All of this is also predicated on your .ovpn file being setup correctly (and that's complicated).
marcus
:ugeek:

havnegata

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm curious, did this answer resolve your question? I also have an Asus router with OpenVPN server and would like to connect my Raspberry pi as an OpenVPN client

sarahadames

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:23 am

Here is the great setup guide i have found for you http://vpnonline.pl/en/konfiguracja/ras ... pi-openvpn let me know if that works

Siamak

Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Here is a very interesting setup, http://blogs.arcsoftwareconsultancy.com ... trictions/

It uses a Rasberry Pi as a VPN Client Router, that is very interesting indeed, for that it uses a private VPN provider and there is no explanation how use your own .OVPN file from your own OpenVPN server that I have made using the RasPi 3.

Can any body give me a hint on that please?

Cheers

Siamak

Return to “Troubleshooting”