User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Video memory unadjustable since update

Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:40 am

After an update/upgrade recently, I can't use the openGL driver anymore. One thing I see is, even if I use Preferences > Raspberry Pi configuration > Performance (I'm not sure of the name of the tab, I have a Dutch version) > Video Memory : 192 or something, it doesn't stick. After a reboot, it's back to the default 64. Changing the setting direclty in the config-file doesn't work either.

Anyone has the same problem?
What can I do?

EDIT: I can change the GPU memory and it stays that way, UNLESS I enable the OpenGL driver, which fails, I start-up agian (noobs) using shift, THEN the change is commented-out and also back to the default in the Raspberry Configuration Panel.
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

DirkS
Posts: 10017
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Video memory unadjustable since update

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Taxicletter wrote:After an update/upgrade recently, I can't use the openGL driver anymore. One thing I see is, even if I use Preferences > Raspberry Pi configuration > Performance (I'm not sure of the name of the tab, I have a Dutch version) > Video Memory : 192 or something, it doesn't stick. After a reboot, it's back to the default 64. Changing the setting direclty in the config-file doesn't work either.

Anyone has the same problem?
What can I do?

EDIT: I can change the GPU memory and it stays that way, UNLESS I enable the OpenGL driver, which fails, I start-up agian (noobs) using shift, THEN the change is commented-out and also back to the default in the Raspberry Configuration Panel.
The value shown in the configuration may not be the real value.
To check the real value run

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_mem gpu
from the command line.
Enabling the experimental driver may change the value (or the driver may ignore any value you entered manually)

If you want to change the setting on a Noobs install you have to make sure you edit the correct config.txt.
Use either the Noobs recovery console to access the correct file or edit /boot/config.txt from Raspbian.

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Video memory unadjustable since update

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:48 pm

OK, thank you.

For the moment I have it set at 240 and the command line tells me the same.
I don't use the OpenGL anymore, no matter what setting I tried, it would give me a black screen.

Since Sonic Pi also crashes, I will try an older kernel version (4.4. seems to be the problem with Sonic).
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Video memory unadjustable since update

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:51 am

Using

Code: Select all

sudo BRANCH=next rpi-update
made the openGL driver work again.
(I'm on kernel version 4.4.6-v7+ now)
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

zeth
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:37 am

Re: Video memory unadjustable since update

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:23 am

Taxicletter wrote:OK, thank you.

For the moment I have it set at 240 and the command line tells me the same.
I don't use the OpenGL anymore, no matter what setting I tried, it would give me a black screen.
I would guess it is setting GPU memory to 240 MB which makes the OpenGL driver die. If you set it to more than 128, then there is not enough RAM for the system to bootstrap. Set it back to 128MB and the OpenGL driver may work again.

DirkS
Posts: 10017
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Video memory unadjustable since update

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:30 am

zeth wrote:
Taxicletter wrote:OK, thank you.

For the moment I have it set at 240 and the command line tells me the same.
I don't use the OpenGL anymore, no matter what setting I tried, it would give me a black screen.
I would guess it is setting GPU memory to 240 MB which makes the OpenGL driver die. If you set it to more than 128, then there is not enough RAM for the system to bootstrap. Set it back to 128MB and the OpenGL driver may work again.
On a 1GB Pi3B? Are you sure about that?

zeth
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:37 am

Re: Video memory unadjustable since update

Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:25 pm

DirkS wrote: On a 1GB Pi3B? Are you sure about that?
Your mileage may vary but at 128 MB my Pi3 works great with the OpenGL driver, if you set it above 128MB, it won't boot.

You can have the swish OpenGL driver or you can increase GPU RAM above 128 MB, but you cannot have both.

DirkS
Posts: 10017
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Video memory unadjustable since update

Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:48 pm

zeth wrote:You can have the swish OpenGL driver or you can increase GPU RAM above 128 MB, but you cannot have both.
Or you can have neither. Best solution ;)

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Video memory unadjustable since update

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:55 pm

Without OpenGL I can't play Chromium BSU :-)
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Video memory unadjustable since update

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:55 pm

In the past, not 240 MB was the good GPU setting for OpenGL, but 128.

After some update everything worked again (Sonic Pi AND OpenGL driver). Now, After a rpi-update, OpenGL doesn't work anymore.

Changing the GPU ram in the config.txt works, but not to let OpenGL work.

I'm now on a "clean" Raspbian install, no Noobs anymore.

Just to let you know ;-)
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

Return to “Troubleshooting”