UdderJuice

Raspberry Pi 3 - No audio

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:31 am

Hello everyone.

So my son and I got a Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit as I thought it would make like a little simpler to get the SD card pre-installed with NOOBS and Raspbian.

So we got the kit today, got it put together and installed Raspbian. The Pi boots directly into Raspbian and logs you in automatically as the pi user, bypassing any opportunity to enter commands or change settings at boot up.

My only concern is that I can't get any audio out of the 3.5mm jack or the HDMI cable. I tried editing the config.txt file but it won't let me save over the original file. I think because it logs in as the pi user but since it boots directly into the GUI I can't log in as a super user. Commands I enter on the command line via the "Run" menu option appear to do nothing. Even with the sudo prefix.

I have dug into all the settings, preferences and the config utility built into Raspbian but can't find any way to change the audio device.

Any help is appreciated.

DirkS

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 - No audio

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:32 am

You can access the configuration utility through Menu / Preferences. There should be an option to start the utility.
The option to force audio through HDMI / 3.5m jack is in the Advanced Options.

Alternatively you can use the text-based config utility by opening a terminal window and type

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
BTW: you can also change how Raspbian starts (autologin, etc) from the Boot Options menu in the configuration utility.

UdderJuice

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Okay, thanks for the response but allow me to clarify. First, I stated in the original post that command line entries do absolutely nothing, even with the sudo prefix. I have tried "sudo raspi-config" and "sudo alsamixer" as well as many others and nothing happens when I enter any command.

I do have options for both a configuration utility and and audio device settings as seen in this image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_akL ... UF5d0pZNUU

The configuration utility has no advanced options tab or button or any reference to audio anywhere as seen here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_akL ... 21oSjhXWkE

And the audio device settings only shows one device called ALSA Mixer. There are very few settings and no other audio devices listed as seen here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_akL ... Gh2SU5WQTA

I am new Linux but consider myself a Windows power user and a generally competent person when it comes to computers but this is quite frustrating. It's almost like this version of Raspbian has not even activated the HDMI or analog audio devices and it has locked the user out of being able to make root level changes to the system.

Did I just get a crappy redistrib of Raspbian and I need to download a better one?

I hope the additional information will help someone steer me in the right direction and thanks again.

*EDIT* Also, I have tried editing the config.txt file but when I try to save it I get an error message stating that it can't open the file to write and won't let me save.

DirkS

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:59 pm

I tried editing the config.txt file but it won't let me save over the original file.
FYI: to edit the file use either of these commands from a terminal window (depending on which editor you prefer):

sudo nano /boot/config,txt
gksu leafpad /boot/config.txt
Re the audio: try

amixer cset numid=3 x
where x is 0 (auto), 1 (analogue) or 2 (dmi).
It should return something like:

pi@raspi3b:~$ amixer cset numid=3 1
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='Master Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw------,values=2,min=0,max=65536,step=1
  : values=1,1
(See https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -config.md)

klricks

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Raspbian defaults to DVI mode which means no audio over HDMI.
To change that you have to edit /boot/config.txt
Open a LXterminal and type:

sudo leafpad /boot/config.txt
Find this line

#hdmi_drive=2 
Remove the # so it looks like this:

hdmi_drive=2
Save and exit then reboot

Now right click on the audio (speaker) icon in taskbar and choose HDMI.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

UdderJuice

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Is no one actually reading my posts?

The OS will not let me make root level changes. The folder the config.txt file is in has root level write permission and won't let me overwrite the file or even save a copy of it there. The sudo prefix does not work nor will any command entered on the command line produce anything and the Pi boots directly into Raspbian without giving me any boot options.

jahboater

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:24 pm

UdderJuice wrote:Is no one actually reading my posts?

The OS will not let me make root level changes. The folder the config.txt file is in has root level write permission and won't let me overwrite the file or even save a copy of it there. The sudo prefix does not work nor will any command entered on the command line produce anything and the Pi boots directly into Raspbian without giving me any boot options.
Given that over nine million Pi's have been sold, I am sure that many people have done this ...

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
It most definitely does work.
Pi4 8GB running PIOS64

edu2016

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:28 pm

For the sound issue, try adding
dtparam=audio=on
to your config.txt

Is SD write protected or mount partition read only on fstab?

You can edit /boot/config.txt on linux system (live CD or DVD). Windows only view first partition and it's RECOVERY.

Good Look

klricks

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:17 am

UdderJuice wrote:Is no one actually reading my posts?

The commands can't be done from the RUN box so that is why I suggested to use LXTerminal. You have 2 issues. You have to get sudo working before anything else. Did you change user from pi?
Pre loaded SD cards are notorious for being really old versions....... Sometimes not even working with the RPi it was sold with.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

UdderJuice

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:40 pm

klricks wrote:The commands can't be done from the RUN box so that is why I suggested to use LXTerminal. You have 2 issues. You have to get sudo working before anything else. Did you change user from pi?
Pre loaded SD cards are notorious for being really old versions....... Sometimes not even working with the RPi it was sold with.
Wow, is my face red. Thanks for the clarification, I now have sound options for analog and HDMI and working audio.

Thank you again!

Return to “Troubleshooting”