pepijntje02

Win32diskimager stopped during writing

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:36 am

Hello,

Is have a problem with my SD card. I have runned raspbian before on my pi2, but on antoher sd card. I tried to switch to another sd card because the one I used was 32 gig class 4 and I have (had) one with 64 gig and class 10. The mean reason what the differnce in the class and I expected for a better performance.

During the installation I first formatted the SD card using SDFormatter and I tried to write the image to the SD card. After a while (I do not remember it exactly, but it was around the 10%) the win32diskimager gives an error and stopped writing.

Now I have a SD card with a boot partition that is always bussy according to the system. I tried to format the sd card again, but that was not succesfull. Then I tried it on a windows machine, but I have ruined that machine too, so I lost all my data there. After that I thought I have to ask it here so maybe someone know the answer before I create more damage to my other systems.

Thanks if you know a solution to remove the partitions from the sd card!

Pepijn

topguy

Re: Win32diskimager stopped during writing

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:16 am

Put it in a digital camera and choose format.

If your old card is still working you could find a simple USB-SD-card reader and do the formatting on the Pi.

pepijntje02

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:31 am

Hello

thanks for your answer.

The first thing is not working, because I do not have a camera.

I do not understand the second option. I do not have the old sd card with raspbian, but when that is necessary I can reinstall it. I do not understand how it is possible to format the sd card on the pi, while it did not work under the windows or arch linux on my laptop. As said I have wrecked my arch system, but I am still able to use it by terminal. So if it is necessary to use linus for the fromatting I think that I will get the same result on my laptop as on the rpi?

What I tried under linux was using fdisk. I tried to format the sd card and write a new partition that contain of the whole sd card. This gives me an error that said that it was not possible to write the new parition table to the sd card because the sd card was in use. I think that it has someting to do with the boot partition that will start automaticly.

I also tried to stop the SD card in the rpi so the boot partition is able to start (probably with an error) and that I can after that format my SD card. But it did not change the files on the SD card before and after I put it in the rpi.

Thanks for your answer anyway, I hope that you can explain how the pi will help me with formatting the sd card while it was not possible on another linux distro on the laptop.

jahboater

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:33 pm

When trying to format the SD card in Pi, was it in the normal SD card socket on the Pi? or in a separate USB card reader? The former will most definitely not work.

To install a Raspbian image you do not have to format the card first. Writing the image to the card will overwrite any contents, any partitions, etc.
Pi4 8GB running PIOS64

pepijntje02

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:49 pm

Hello,

I did not use the Pi to format my sd card. I used my laptop, both windows and linux (arch).
When I insert the sd card in my computer I am not able to do anything to it. It is not possible to format the disk write an image to it. I thought that the boot partitoin is the problem, maybe that partion will start when it is inserted in the computer? I am just guessing because I do not know why I can not acces the SD card.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:41 pm

pepijntje02 wrote:Hello,

I did not use the Pi to format my sd card. I used my laptop, both windows and linux (arch).
When I insert the sd card in my computer I am not able to do anything to it. It is not possible to format the disk write an image to it. I thought that the boot partitoin is the problem, maybe that partion will start when it is inserted in the computer? I am just guessing because I do not know why I can not acces the SD card.
Does your Laptop SD Card Reader support SDHC Format ?? if so try SDCard Formatter:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Though have found USB Card Readers are better than using built-in ones:

http://www.poundland.co.uk/signalex-mul ... r-assorted
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

jahboater

Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:17 pm

During the installation I first formatted the SD card using SDFormatter and I tried to write the image to the SD card. After a while (I do not remember it exactly, but it was around the 10%) the win32diskimager gives an error and stopped writing.
The OP is trying to use win32diskimager, so all this formatting discussion is pointless and I think confusing the issue.

To the OP ...
Take a good look at the instructions and follow them step by step!
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Pi4 8GB running PIOS64

pepijntje02

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi,

I have used diskformater already, but the program stopped working when I put the sd card in my computer.
I use an usb card reader for my sd card to my laptop. So that will not be the problem

I have tried it again in linux, I will start windows later this evening. This is what I did:

sudo fdisk -l to show all devices. This shows the sd card with two partitions.
I tried
sudo fdisk /dev/sdb (sdb is the sd card)
Then I removed the both partition with " d " and then I created one new partition. At the end I write the tabel with the command " w " .
The error is: /dev/sdb: close device failed: Input/output error

Then I tried to write it with the bb command described on the raspberry pi page.
dd bs=4M if=2016-03-18-raspbian-jessie.img of=/dev/sdb
The result was:
961+1 records in
961+1 records out
4033871872 bytes (4.0 GB, 3.8 GiB) copied, 18.8 s, 215 MB/s

That looks hopefull, but it did not worked.

After that I treid to format the disk with fdisk the error I get is
fdisk close device failed input/output error

In windows everything get stuck when I insert the SD card.

What I wonder is if it something with the boot partition on the SD card. It looks like to me that that part of the SD card is the problem and keep is bussy??
Does anybody know a solution to format all the data on the SD card?

pepijntje02

Win32diskimager stopped during writing

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:32 am

Hello,

I have posted this question on the Beginner forum, but I think maybe it is better to put it on the Troubleshooting forum.

I have problem with my SD card after Win32dikimager stopped during the writing procces.
I have used SDFormatter before the installation. Then I write the raspbian imge using Win32diskmanager to the SD card. But during the writing procces Win32diskmanager gives an error. The writing stopped then and it was not possible to format the SD card again.

First I tried to format de SD card with SDFormatter. When I insert the SD card in my laptop everything get stuck. So it was not possible to use SDFormatter while the card is inserted in my computer.

I also have a Linux system (arch linux). So when it was nog possible to use the windows program to format I hoped that it will worked with linux.
In Linux I tried to format the SD card using fdisk. This was not possible, and when I write the partitoin table I get this error: close device failed: Input/output error

Then I tried the dd command as described on the raspberry pi webpage.
dd bs=4M if=/path/to/image/2016-03-18-raspbian-jessie.img of=/dev/sdb
The result was:
961+1 records in
961+1 records out
4033871872 bytes (4.0 GB, 3.8 GiB) copied, 18.8 s, 215 MB/s

But when I look at the SD card there is no result that something happend at all.

There is a boot partition on the SD card. I thought maybe that is the problem because I also get sometimes the issue that the SD card is in use. I do not know if the SD card is corrupted and I have to buy a new one, or that there is a problem with the half boot partition on the SD card.

I will be happy if someone know a solution for this card!

(it is a Sandisk 64GB class 10 card).

Pepijn

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:18 am

[MOD EDIT - merged the 2 threads into one, so some duplication may exist in the posts]
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

topguy

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:48 pm

Two observations:

- If your Linux (Arch) automatically mounts inserted memorysticks and memorycards you should unmount them before trying to repartition, reformat or rewrite.
Type "mount" and look if /dev/sdbX is mounted in "/media/something".

- The "dd" command looks like it completed successfully. (You have to unplug the card and replug it again to see any changes in Arch, because the linux kernel doesnt know that "dd" has rewritten the disk.)
So I would just put the card in a Pi and test.

>> 4033871872 bytes (4.0 GB, 3.8 GiB) copied, 18.8 s, 215 MB/s
This was *FAST* even for a class 10 card, you did verify that the SD-card really becomes /dev/sdb when you plugged it in ? If not, you might have formatted the wrong drive...

pepijntje02

Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:02 pm

Hello,

I have tried it another time to see what it would be this time. I have done the dd command again and put it in the Pi. I am not 100% sure, since I use a headless set-up, but by the network cable attached to my computer there is no reaction when the Pi boots. Even when I start up windows (I am more familiar with windows, but I want to learn more Linux therefore that I have a dualboot with Linux), the boot device gives an error and unmountd directly after it is attached to my computer. I can see for a short time the files in the directory ( a lot, more than expected according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvDMztXi4o ). In Linux when I mount the sd card I am able to browse the files, but I do not know what I need.
What I would like is that it would be possible to format the system by Linux (since there is more possible with formatting and in Linux I am longer able to see the sd card) and after that I will return to windows and use win32diskmanager to do the instalation again.

The error I get this time with the dd command is:
dd: error writing '/dev/sdb': No space left on device

So I am nog sure that the installation is done well.

The error I get everytime I run fdisk or gparted is: Input/Output error during write on /dev/sdb

But thanks for your help, but I am afraid that it did not worked well with the bb command... :(

topguy

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Then maybe you just have a faulty card.

Return to “Troubleshooting”