chiuchimu

Pi3 Why Couldn't run sudo ./install?

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:57 pm

I was trying to install Kodi on Pi3 Jessie. Downloaded Kodi and extracted to folder kodi-15-jessie.

I was able to change directories
cd kodi-15-jessie

But I could not install it
sudo ./install
sudo: ./install; no such command found

I was able to fix it by changing the folder name from kodi-15-jessie to kodi15

cd kodi15
sudo ./install

this worked and installed kodi. I'm new to linux so I don't understand why the previous attempt didn't work.

sprinkmeier

Re: Pi3 Why Couldn't run sudo ./install?

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:34 am

without info on what you downloaded and error messages (as plain text in CODE blocks please, no links-to-jpegs-on-twitter) diagnosing the problem is difficult.

B.Goode

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:52 am

Probably you are expecting install to be some magic command that knows what you want to install?

It isn't. It is simply the name of a file in a directory (which you might know as a 'folder' from some other OS.) The cd command defines which directory [ ie. folder] to look in to find that file.

In other words -

Code: Select all

<some_file_path>/kodi-15-jessie/install         # this file does not exist, so you get an error
but

<some_file_path>/kodi-15-jessie/kodi15/install   # this file exists and can be executed to install the package

jojopi

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:05 am

You must have made a typo the first time. Remember that file names are case sensitive, and spacing and punctuation are important.

Renaming the directory from kodi-15-jessie to kodi15 makes no difference.

B.Goode

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:17 am

jojopi wrote:You must have made a typo the first time. Remember that file names are case sensitive, and spacing and punctuation are important.

Renaming the directory from kodi-15-jessie to kodi15 makes no difference.
The OP did a cd, not mv.

That would make a difference.

jojopi

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:35 am

B.Goode wrote:The OP did a cd, not mv.
That would make a difference.
I posted after reading your original reply, so I obviously do not agree.

Try this, and re-read the original post:

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kodi-15.2-jessie-rpb.tar.gz
tar -xzf kodi-15.2-jessie-rpb.tar.gz
cd kodi-15-jessie
sudo ./install

B.Goode

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:58 am

Crystal ball failure... I based my reply on my understanding of what the enquirer wrote.

I agree that if the downloaded file was the one you reference then

cd kodi-15-jessie/
sudo ./install
would not have failed in the manner reported.

I am even more inclined to agree with the initial response from @sprinkmeier and should have refrained from replying.

chiuchimu

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:02 pm

B.Goode wrote:Probably you are expecting install to be some magic command that knows what you want to install?

It isn't. It is simply the name of a file in a directory (which you might know as a 'folder' from some other OS.) The cd command defines which directory [ ie. folder] to look in to find that file.

In other words -

<some_file_path>/kodi-15-jessie/install         # this file does not exist, so you get an error
but

<some_file_path>/kodi-15-jessie/kodi15/install   # this file exists and can be executed to install the package
lol. I said I'm new to Linux not new to computers. It's just that linux is a bit different than DOS, and answers to linux problems are hard to find(ex;not a single person replied to my question about fonts).

[Solved] though not 100% sure what went wrong the first time.
This is for people that run into the same situation since their is nothing written about this on the internet. Hope it helps you.
To investigate, I did a clean reinstall of the Raspbian image onto the SDcard and copied the Kodi files from the flashcard I used last time. This time Kodi didn't install whatever folder name I gave it. So like what others here said, folder names don't affect installation. I checked the folder to see if a file called install was there and it was! I was even able to open it - it looked like a batch file. Why I get the message "command not found? I'll get back to this.

Anyway, even though the install file exist I still get the same error when I type sudo ./install I get:

sudo ./install
sudo: ./install: command not found
I decided to start from scratch and download a new copy of Kodi from :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x2yu4k6czn7s ... b.tar?dl=0
extracted the files to the same folder and ran install. This time everything went perfectly.

This means somehow the install file got corrupted and linux instead of saying "command unreadable" or "command file currupted" returns the ambiguous error "command not found".

Return to “Troubleshooting”