wilhil

Any known problems on Pi 3 with Kingston Micro SD cards?

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi

I purchased 2x Raspberry Pi 3, one from CPC, one from RS, along with 2 Kingston Micro SD cards from a Kingston distributor.

I downloaded the latest build of Raspbian, and, everything worked fine.

I then did apt-get update, followed by apt-get upgrade and installed a bunch of other packages and added configurations. When I rebooted, it kept going to a kernel panic.

Next, I reflashed the SD card, again - worked perfectly. I did update & upgrade, didn't change anything - and after a reboot again, it went in to a kernel panic.

Thinking it could be the SD card, I tried the same card in the other Pi, and another card in both, but, I could repeat this every time.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this?

This image is what happened after rebooting/doing my initial config on the first pi.
http://imgur.com/tFolhi7

This image is what happens on either pi after just doing an update/upgrade/reboot.
http://imgur.com/ChK1JjG

Thanks,

William

klricks

Re: Any known problems on Pi 3 with Kingston Micro SD cards?

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:18 am

If you installed the standalone version (not NOOBS) then you MUST expand the filesystem to fill the SD card and reboot BEFORE doing any update/upgrade/install. If you forget to expand the filesystem then the system will soon run out of disk space regardless of the size of the SD card. Running out of disk space during an upgrade or install can and often will trash the OS.
Run the expand from the GUI config in [Menu] --> [Preferences] or run sudo raspi-config from the command prompt and choose the first option.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

CMelas

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:45 am

I have EXACTLY the same problem with you!

I just got a new RPi 3 with a 16 GB Kingston Micro SD Class 10 card!
After installing Raspbian (via NOOBS), I'm trying to update and upgrade or dist-upgrade with absolutely no luck at all!
I have already flashed my card more than 6 times, each time leading to a bloody kernel panic after trying the upgrade!

What is wrong with the update/upgrade process??
Somebody has to give a responsible answer to all of us having the same problem. The existence of a major bug like this is unacceptable for a popular product like the Raspberry Pi 3.
Right now I just fell into another kernel panic, so I'll have to flash my Micro SD card again...
It's really frustrating...

I would be grateful if anyone could provide a solution to this problem!

scruss

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Oddly enough, I've had the same problem with a couple of recent Kingston cards - but on a Raspberry Pi 2 and a 3.

Using different cards fixed it. I still have one of the faulty cards, and I want to put it through some read/write tests to see if it's failing the same way.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

CMelas

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:08 pm

I just found out that others have the same problem with a particular Kingston Micro SD card.
Even though it is marked as OK in the RPi SD cards at eLinux.org, it does NOT work properly.

Don't waste your money on Kingston SDC10G2 / 16GB. Stay away from this card people!
I found out with the hard way, after spending two whole days trying to make this card work!

noxafredo

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:42 pm

well i kinda got the same problem .. just not with a kingston sdcard..

i´m using a sanDisk and a toshiba 64gb micro sd .. tried both .. not really working.

i had a setup with the sandisk yesterday which i was able to resize properly .. but today after starting a new set-up with ubuntu mate and rasbian .. i can´t get to resize both sd cards .. i tried merging the allocated storage space trough fdisk and gparted .. both wouldn´t work ... so without that it crashes after every reboot and i have to format again..

my point is .. maybe not a kingston problem ..?!

drgeoff

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:51 pm

That two cards are marked SDC10G2 / 16GB.does not mean that they are the same internally. Kingston does not make SD cards. It buys a consignment of cards from a factory which does make cards and has the Kingston label applied to them. When that consignment is running out it buys some more but not necessarily from the same factory. Depends on many factors such as who is offering the best price that week, who can supply in time etc.

The ratio of the number of market brands of SD cards to the number of manufacturers of the flash chip inside is orders of magnitude. If there is a problem with some SD cards it is highly unlikely that it is confined to Kingston branded cards.

dchao99

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Kingston do not a manufacture any flash memory, they are the bottom feeder in the highly cut-thoat flash memory market. They often buy unwanted and rejected memories at discounted price and package them as their own brand and then flog them off to the retail market. No OEM will touch them.

cwet

Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:33 am

Hi,

With my raspberry pi 3, I have the same problem with two Kingston 32GB cards, marked as SDC10G2/32GB. I get a kernel panic after update/upgrade, after I installed the raspbian image from 2016-03-18. The update/upgrade took more than 1 hour to complete.

I also installed ubuntu mate on the Kingston card. I did a rpi-update to a newer kernel. After reboot it was no longer possible to login. There was an ext4-fs error: block bitmap and bg descripter incosistent.

I installed the same raspbian image to a Transcend 16GB card that came earlier pre-installed with the raspberry pi 3. No problem with the update/upgrade, which took less than 5 minutes. Rebooting went fine. No errors.

yak32

Thu May 12, 2016 9:35 am

it's failing every time after reboot for me too.

http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards - marked here as broken

nok Kingston SDHC 16 10 SDC10G2/16GB Doesn't work with Raspbian Jessie, weird random issues when making any changes to file system.

sturbs

Thu May 04, 2017 6:20 pm

Im having similar issues with two different Samsung microSD cards. This is my first experience with Raspberry Pi.
Evo 16GB U1, MB-MP16D listed as both good and bad with Raspberry Pi 2. Also Evo+ 32GB U1, MB-MC32D. Initial Jessie flash from Ubuntu Xenial using Etcher 1.0.0 rc5 x64 boots fine. No problems until after apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade. After reboot I couldn't connect, and when I connected a monitor the boot process looked ok until the GUI came up. at that point it was just the desktop image, the trash on the desktop, an empty tool bar at the top and the mouse icon. the mouse responded but I couldn't get anything else to happen.
I guess I need to get new microSD cards, but I've yet to see an updated list for Raspberry Pi 3.

sturbs

Thu May 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Oddly, Samsung Evo 16GB microSD card I was having issues with I now seem to have worked out.
At first the boot problem kept happening on both cards only after $ sudo apt-get upgrade (or dist-upgrade) with a reboot following. Shortly before my last post I was running the Evo+ 32GB card and I had already run raspi-config and made the localisation changes along with turning on SSH and VNC without upgrading. I then ran apt-get update, rpi-update and then reboot and I got the blank desktop with only the trash again.
While I was running e2fsck -f -c on that 32GB card I put a fresh Jessie on the 16GB card. I first ran rpi-update and reboot. fine. Ran apt-get update and upgrade. FINE. then raspi-config and localisation and reboot. fine. a few more changes, each followed by reboots with no problem until I tried the new OpenGL full driver and after the reboot I got the screen again. I was able to right click the trash and 'open in terminal' the raspi-config and back to the old driver and it was fine.
What's very odd is that I have run all the raspi-config changes I made INCLUDING the OpenGL driver before this and before running apt-get update and I had no problems until I ran apt-get update. The only real difference was I had not been running rpi-update at all until the first time that I mentioned above and then this last time.
I'm open to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

runboy93

Thu May 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Sandisk cards might be the best with RPi, just make sure it is not fake!

Hoi Polloi

Mon May 08, 2017 7:11 am

Me Too!

Pi Zero, Raspbian installed with NOOBS and updated, Kingston micro sdcard.

For me a reboot fairly consistently results in a kernel panic and holding down the shift key at boot does nothing. The log prompted includes the line:

Kernel panic -- not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,7)

What happens is that the superblock and/or journal is destroyed on the root partition. You can fix this with fsck from linux. As the label is destroyed you have to guess the /dev/name (or look it up with ex. GParted, it's the unknown partition the others for a NOOBS install are RECOVERY, SETTINGS and boot). In my case as root: fsck /dev/sdb7 (if you are brave you can use the -y option answering yes to all questions).

Shutdown works, I have not once encountered a fs corruption/kernel panic. What is strange is that yanking the power seem to work as well, but I have not tried this a great number of times and wouldn't recommend it for obvious reasons.

There is an old bug report regarding Kingston micro sd cards, but none of the remedies suggested solves the issue for me https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1518 and the kernel panic isn't exactly the same as mine so i think it's another issue YMMV.

Return to “Troubleshooting”