otherwayup

Pi3 performance

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi,

I got my Pi3 a few weeks ago and have been playing around with it a little bit. Managed to pair it to bluetooth speaker and also got the Github Amazon Alexa thing working, but I'm a little disappointed with some of the performance and I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my Pi3.

Youtube works poorly (stutters) through Epiphany (forget full screen) and it's no better in Chromium. With the bluetooth speaker, audio from youtube is also stuttery as well as poor video playback.

Am I expecting too much from my Pi3, or is there something not setup correctly?

Thanks, Darren.

dchao99

Re: Pi3 performance

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:31 pm

Are you using Ethernet or WiFi on your Pi3? As the WiFi performance on my Pi3 is not so great, but Ethernet is fine.

kusti8

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:21 am

You can't expect too much. If you want smooth youtube in Chromium and uses my updated instructions, then a simple:
sudo apt-get install rpi-youtube
And installation of the extension will run smooth youtube when clicking on the icon.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

otherwayup

Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:57 pm

I'm using Ethernet and speedtest.net shows download speeds are good. It seems to play well for about a second, stutters, and then plays a bit more fine for second or so etc. This is watching normal size in browser page, not full screen. Full screen is much worse.

If that is the way all Pi3s are, fine.; you can't complain at this price, but I just want to check.

So can I take it above behavior is normal?

gkreidl

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:57 pm

otherwayup wrote:I'm using Ethernet and speedtest.net shows download speeds are good. It seems to play well for about a second, stutters, and then plays a bit more fine for second or so etc. This is watching normal size in browser page, not full screen. Full screen is much worse.

If that is the way all Pi3s are, fine.; you can't complain at this price, but I just want to check.

So can I take it above behavior is normal?
360p web video plays fluently in kweb (software only), kweb3 and epiphany (both HW accelerated). It used also to work in chromium but since about two weeks I have the same kind of stuttering, while it used to work before. Must have been caused some recent update. And it's still working for others.
Check if pulseaudio is installed and remove it or at least disable it. It's responsible for stuttering audio in some browsers.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Troubleshooting”