arunkumaraymuo
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 pm

ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:36 pm

My third party windows ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3 board. But it is working with my old Raspberry Pi 2 and other olded raspberry Pi versions. It is popping a message box Algorithm negotiation fail


To solve this, I updated /etc/ssh/sshd_config file by adding

Code: Select all

KexAlgorithms diffie-hellman-group1-sha1,curve25519-sha256@libssh.org,ecdh-sha2-nistp256,ecdh-sha2-nistp384,ecdh-sha2-nistp521,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1
I tried after restarting and it doesn't solve my problem.

Please help me. I have gone through several forum none of them solve my problem.
is there any way to use the ssh in raspberry pi 2 to raspberry pi 3?

Heater
Posts: 15790
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:11 pm

I'm pretty sure ssh works fine on the Pi 3. Assuming you are using Raspbian Jessie. It works fine for me and I'm sure we would have heard lot's of complaints from others already if there was a problem with it.

Suggest getting a non-broken ssh client. Better than downgrading security on your Pi. Putty perhaps. Or install Cygwin and use ssh from that.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

User avatar
chrisoh
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:47 pm

How is the Pi 3 connected to the network? If it's via the onboard WiFi then it might well be the Pi 3 WiFi ToS problem identified in the SSH and NTP threads.
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

DirkS
Posts: 10345
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:07 pm

chrisoh wrote:How is the Pi 3 connected to the network? If it's via the onboard WiFi then it might well be the Pi 3 WiFi ToS problem identified in the SSH and NTP threads.
Unlikely.
IIRC there have been changes in the sshd (or OpenSSH) version used on Jessie, that removed less secure algorithms.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 10096
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:26 pm

arunkumaraymuo wrote:My third party windows ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3 board. But it is working with my old Raspberry Pi 2 and other olded raspberry Pi versions.
When I first upgraded my RPi2B from Wheezy to Jessie I found that my long-installed version of Putty for Windows was no longer able to make a connection to the sshd server on the RPi2. Upgrading the version of Putty for Windows to the most recent release fixed this.

I suspect that you are encountering the same problem: your old RPi2 is probably running the older - less secure - version of sshd shipped with Raspbian Wheezy: your new RPi3 is almost certainly running Raspbian Jessie.

I suggest updating the version of the ssh client that you are running on the Windows machine.

User avatar
chrisoh
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:29 pm

DirkS wrote:
chrisoh wrote:How is the Pi 3 connected to the network? If it's via the onboard WiFi then it might well be the Pi 3 WiFi ToS problem identified in the SSH and NTP threads.
Unlikely.
IIRC there have been changes in the sshd (or OpenSSH) version used on Jessie, that removed less secure algorithms.
That's good to know, thanks for sharing. I was hesitant because of the "Algorithm negotiation fail", so mentioned it might be related just in case, as the WiFi ToS problem is having knock-on effects.
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

arunkumaraymuo
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Re: ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:27 am

Heater wrote:I'm pretty sure ssh works fine on the Pi 3. Assuming you are using Raspbian Jessie. It works fine for me and I'm sure we would have heard lot's of complaints from others already if there was a problem with it.

Suggest getting a non-broken ssh client. Better than downgrading security on your Pi. Putty perhaps. Or install Cygwin and use ssh from that.

I can connect it using putty without any issue. But I am using a third party application to communicate with raspberry pi for our own purpose. I can't update this application for this new raspberry pi board. the only way to correct it from the raspberry pi ssh server.

arunkumaraymuo
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Re: ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:31 am

B.Goode wrote:
arunkumaraymuo wrote:My third party windows ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3 board. But it is working with my old Raspberry Pi 2 and other olded raspberry Pi versions.
When I first upgraded my RPi2B from Wheezy to Jessie I found that my long-installed version of Putty for Windows was no longer able to make a connection to the sshd server on the RPi2. Upgrading the version of Putty for Windows to the most recent release fixed this.

I suspect that you are encountering the same problem: your old RPi2 is probably running the older - less secure - version of sshd shipped with Raspbian Wheezy: your new RPi3 is almost certainly running Raspbian Jessie.

I suggest updating the version of the ssh client that you are running on the Windows machine.

I cant update my ssh client application. The only way is to change the ssh server in raspberry Pi. Is there any way to use the ssh server from raspberry pi 2 to raspberry Pi 3

MrNice
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 am

Re: ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:29 am

I am not sure this is a ssh issue. Just from my 2 last days trying to debug.
How your WIFI working?
Did you try to ping the box through WIFI for at least 1 mn and see the times?
There a lot of complain about WIFI, see the sticky WIFI issues Start here thread, few last pages.
Hope this will help and save you some hours.

nulldev
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:39 am

Re: ssh client application not working with Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:33 am

Just add to this thread, I get similar results with the dameware ssh client for windows and raspberry pi3.

I can connect with putty

ssh1 protocal:
connection error: Version mismatch, server version is SSH2

ssh2 protocal:
connection error: Could not negotiate diffie-hellman-group1-sha1

Return to “Troubleshooting”