Raspy-B

Downmixing to stereo - Will it ever be available?

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:34 pm

I bought my Raspberry to use as a HTPC/media-player but pretty soon I noticed something wasn't right with the audio. When I was watching a movie the dialogue coming from my stereo speakers were very quiet, while background noises were too loud. I tried to fix the issue by trying all the different settings in Raspbmc but nothing helped. Today I installed Raspbian and Omxplayer to see if that worked better, but now the dialogue seemed to come out of the left speaker which was equally as bad.

I've tried to search for a solution to the issue but no one seem to be working on a fix. Some are saying it's a problem with XBMC, other's say the CPU in the RPi is too weak to handle downmixing. I'm not a programmer or even a Linux user so I have no idea. I'm simply a consumer who was looking for a cheap, quiet, small media-player and now I've dropped more than $50 on a RPi, cables, SD-card that I have no use for...

RaTTuS

Re: Downmixing to stereo - Will it ever be available?

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:39 pm

no problems with HDMI audio here
but it may depend on what you are playing
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Rabjerg

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:41 pm

.....and now I've dropped more than $50 on a RPi, cables, SD-card that I have no use for...
Depends on how you see it, because i know of 500 other uses. :P
And i think it is a software issue, don't forget that the RPI is still in development, and there are still many thing left to optimize, most of it is software.

fredjam

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:51 am

Well who told you that the Raspberry Pi would be a cheap media player. It may do this
eventually but it is designed as an educational project to teach programming to
school children.

Sell your Raspberry Pi on Ebay and buy yourself a Western Digital .WD TV Live since that
is what you should have done in the first place.

Raspy-B

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:49 pm

fredjam wrote:Well who told you that the Raspberry Pi would be a cheap media player?
Well, these guys did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd3hn9q1vhw (Hint, headline is: Raspberry Pi: Sweet $35 DIY Media Center!)

...and all the other videos on youtube showcasing XBMC on the RPi.

henle

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:37 am

Raspy-B wrote:Today I installed Raspbian and Omxplayer to see if that worked better, but now the dialogue seemed to come out of the left speaker which was equally as bad.
I just noticed this as well. I'll look into it.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:04 am

henle wrote:
Raspy-B wrote:Today I installed Raspbian and Omxplayer to see if that worked better, but now the dialogue seemed to come out of the left speaker which was equally as bad.
I just noticed this as well. I'll look into it.
I fixed the bug in omxplayer. You can rebuild from GitHub. I'll ask asb to update the package in repo.
xbmc does things differently, and I believe the bug is still present, but I'm looking into it.

Raspy-B

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:15 pm

dom wrote: I fixed the bug in omxplayer. You can rebuild from GitHub. I'll ask asb to update the package in repo.
xbmc does things differently, and I believe the bug is still present, but I'm looking into it.
Cool. I want to try it out but I have no idea how to :| . Terms like: rebuild, asb, repo and "update package" is like a foreign language to me. How does one rebuild from the GitHub?

jackokring

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Raspy-B wrote:
dom wrote: I fixed the bug in omxplayer. You can rebuild from GitHub. I'll ask asb to update the package in repo.
Cool. I want to try it out but I have no idea how to :| . Terms like: rebuild, asb, repo and "update package" is like a foreign language to me. How does one rebuild from the GitHub?
Rebuild - it's new an not part of the distribution
Distribution a.k.a. distro- That known as Raspbian which is distribute to lots of people
Repo - A repository, a place where computer code is stored, often part of github.com which is one of many repo hosting sites
Update Package - To make more modern the repo which is built as a package (part of) of a distribution
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

Raspy-B

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:12 pm

jackokring wrote: Rebuild - it's new an not part of the distribution
Distribution a.k.a. distro- That known as Raspbian which is distribute to lots of people
Repo - A repository, a place where computer code is stored, often part of github.com which is one of many repo hosting sites
Update Package - To make more modern the repo which is built as a package (part of) of a distribution
Thanks! :). So how do I get this updated version of Omxplayer? Do I need to download something from GitHub or do I just enter a line of code in the terminal?

jackokring

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:52 pm

browse to the github address. Copy the Read-Only URL in the box on the code tab, it ends in .git

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install git-core
git clone ^URL^ my-clone-of-thing-directory-name-I-use
^URL^ represents that URL you copied, and the directory name is your choice, so whatever reminds you what it is.

have a look with a file manager :)

The following varies so check with other people on this topic

./configure && make
sudo make install
make uses cc which is the C language compiler.

Cheers Jacko

Raspy-B

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:15 pm

So I got the files from the site and saved them in my /home/pi/ directory in new folder I named "omx" so the directory is /home/pi/omx/

When I enter:

./configure && make
it says:
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

btw. my terminal is set to my ~/omx directory.

I'm stuck :(. Isn't there a more user friendly way of doing this? Isn't there an update-command?

Raspy-B

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Never mind I downloaded it on from the omxplayer site and the problem is still there, but now it comes from both speakers. Dialogue has super low volume and background noise is loud.

jackokring

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Raspy-B wrote:So I got the files from the site and saved them in my /home/pi/ directory in new folder I named "omx" so the directory is /home/pi/omx/

When I enter:

./configure && make
it says:
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

btw. my terminal is set to my ~/omx directory.

I'm stuck :(. Isn't there a more user friendly way of doing this? Isn't there an update-command?
cd ~/omx && ./configure && make

Return to “Troubleshooting”