Emsa

[Solved] New Pi3, hangs

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi,

I bought a new RPi3 earlier today and when I got home I installed retropie on it and was looking forward to testing the performance of the RPi3 compared to my RPi2. But I was quickly dissapointed. Retropie hangs when I start any demanding games (Often as soon as it boots up), and sometimes on the RetroPie GUI, as well as when I try to move files to the RPi over sftp. I've tried over ethernet and over WiFi but with both the RPi eventually freezes. Using the USB rom service worked a bit better but that also froze eventually.

There is no overclocking.

The red power light never blinks, it seems to get enough power at all times.

When it freezes the picture remains on screen, just becomes completely unresponsive, even after waiting for a few minutes.

Anyone have any clue what might cause the freezes? Gonna buy a new SD card tomorrow and see if maybe the sd card I have is bad, although it's a new one I bought today :(
Last edited by Emsa on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emsa

Re: New Pi3, hangs

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:48 am

Also, I've tried to ssh into the pi when it's freezes but it doesn't work.

I had it in a case but I took it out to see if maybe the case was causing it to overheat, but didn't make any difference.

I'm no linux guru so if someone knows some tests I can make to try and determine what part is causing the freezes it would be greatly appreciated, would make communicating with the retailer for a replacement easier if I knew what part might be faulty.

Still haven't tried a new sd card due to it being easter and stores being closed. Running H2testw on the card atm.

Sleep Mode zZ

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:05 pm

If you do not get the low voltage warning in the right corner of the screen, I suspect that you are experiencing hardware failure when the processor does really much computing. The ways to fix it are: 1. return your Pi as a faulty product and get a new one, or 2. underclock or give the processor higher voltage by editing the /boot/config.txt file.

Also it is a good idea to check first with another SD-card, like you are going to do.

Emsa

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:28 am

I tried with a new mSD card but had the same trouble with the new card as well.

I managed to get my Pi3 exchanged for a new one with few questions asked, and at the same time I bought a power supply specifically for the Pi3, not sure if it's some kind of official adapter but it has the pi logo on it and is 5v 2.5A. When I got home I still had the same problems as before...

I then read Sleep Mode zZ's post and decided to first try to give the board some additional voltage, which seems to have worked. Still haven't had much time to test it out but I'm hoping it will be fine.

Is this common for people using Pi3 and retropie? Can a batch of Pi's get bad and sent out to resellers? I've read of people running retropie while overclocking and only using over voltage 4, which is where I am now just to get it stable at default settings...

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:22 am

There was a thread about this problem with a couple of posters reporting issues similar to yours, i.e. that their Pi3s were only stable with a bit of additional voltage or underclocking. Sorry, I can't find that thread now, but if your Pi gets stable with added voltage, that clearly must be the issue here.

Sorry also if I was not clear enough in my post: When I wrote about returning the product or adding voltage - the 'or' was meant as an exclusive or. That is, by adding voltage you give away your warranty. I don't know if your reseller checks it, but there is a bit in the SOC that gets switched on when overclocking, and it stays that way.

In addition to adding voltage or underclocking (the more safe way of the two but with some performance penalty), you might also consider getting a heat sink for the SOC. There have also been reports of heat related stability issues on this forum.

Emsa

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:34 am

It seems it's definitly the case of more voltage being needed. Tried to compile one emulator from source and during the compilation the low-power symbol is on all the time (yellow square). And that's on default clocks and over voltage 6!

I have some heatsinks I was going to add to it, will do that once the compilation finishes (if it does).

I had to up the voltage from 3 because I was still getting freezes when moving files over sftp.

Thanks for the help Sleep Mode!

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:13 am

Emsa wrote:It seems it's definitly the case of more voltage being needed. Tried to compile one emulator from source and during the compilation the low-power symbol is on all the time (yellow square). And that's on default clocks and over voltage 6!
There are two different warnings. According to this post a red square is for over-temperature
and a rainbow colored square is for under-voltage.

Assuming that it is the symbol for under-voltage: The low power symbol is a different issue from the processor not being stable without adding more voltage in config.txt, and it is not cured with more voltage to the CPU. (You did not mention the low power warnings in your previous posts so I assumed that you did not get them at least with your first Pi3 and power supply.)

The problem is that your power supply drops the voltage it gives to the board when it is under load. Probably all PSUs do this to some extent, but when the Pi receives less than 4.65V it shows that symbol. It is a bit odd that that happens with the official PSU, but there have been previous reports of that also.

In this case the problem should be cured with more voltage to the whole board, and not by modifyinf config.txt. If your power supply got a fixed (permanent) cord (the one connecting the PUS to the Pi) there is nothing you can do about it on the power supply side. If it has a changeable USB cable, try a different cable. (Shorter cables are usually better than long ones.) On the side of the Pi: What do you have connected to your Pi? If you have something connected that needs lots of power, changing that to something less power hungry might be the solution. In the Pi itself, you could instead of adding voltage - and adding more load for the PSU - lower the CPU frequency, i.e. underclock your Pi. Of course, you could try with different PSUs, if you got some with enough amperage, and see if any of them fares any better.

In the case of over-temperature warnings: get a heat sink and use a well ventilated case.

Emsa

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 am

Sorry, was my mistake. Seems I was getting throttled due to overheating. They mention the yellow icon here:

viewtopic.php?p=915453#p915453

Gonna put on the heatsinks and see if I can't go lower on the voltage...

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:11 am

Emsa wrote:Sorry, was my mistake. Seems I was getting throttled due to overheating. They mention the yellow icon here:

viewtopic.php?p=915453#p915453

Gonna put on the heatsinks and see if I can't go lower on the voltage...
OK, it seems that in previous models the square was reported to be red/orange, and now it is orange/yellow. Maybe they have changed the color? I have not seen it.

Emsa

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:58 pm

More searching and I've found the cause for my problem. It only occurs when I use the playstation 3 controller over bluetooth. Another user explains it more thouroughly here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comme ... bluetooth/

Probably could have solved this quicker if I had thought to mention that I was using the ps3 controller over bluetooth, but that's hindsight for you. Hoping it's just a driver problem and that I can go back to playing over bluetooth eventually. For the time being I'm happy I don't get freezes constantly.

Return to “Troubleshooting”