Milliways
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Problem with WiFi Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on Pi3

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:22 am

I am attempting to get my Ubuntu MATE 15.10 installation to work on my Pi3.
I successfully updated the kernel (using rpi-update) and it works EXCEPT for the inbuilt WiFi

The drivers all seem to be in place, but I get the following boot messages:-

Code: Select all

usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin failed with error -2
Does anyone have any idea what the error means and how to fix it.
Last edited by Milliways on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

zealousd
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Problem with WiFi Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on Pi3

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:20 am

i have a pi 3 and ubuntu mate

everything installed perfectly and running fine

i would be updating via apt-get
Raspberry Pi 3
Ubuntu Mate
Web Server

Milliways
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Problem with WiFi Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on Pi3

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:06 am

zealousd wrote:i have a pi 3 and ubuntu mate

everything installed perfectly and running fine

i would be updating via apt-get
But that was not the question. Did you update a Pi2 image?

apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't even update the kernel beyond 4.1.13

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 34774
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Problem with WiFi Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on Pi3

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:40 pm

Milliways wrote:

Code: Select all

usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin failed with error -2
I think you'll need to lift /lib/firmware/brcm/* from a Raspbian card.
I've put a 7zipped version on Github at: https://github.com/DougieLawson/Raspber ... aster/brcm
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

Milliways
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Problem with WiFi Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on Pi3

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:19 pm

DougieLawson wrote: I think you'll need to lift /lib/firmware/brcm/* from a Raspbian card.
I've put a 7zipped version on Github at: https://github.com/DougieLawson/Raspber ... aster/brcm
Thanks Doug. I finally managed this late last night by downloading firmware.

Code: Select all

cd /lib/firmware/brcm/
sudo wget https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/raw/master/brcm80211/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin
sudo wget https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/raw/master/brcm80211/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt

romprod
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: Problem with WiFi Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on Pi3

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:54 pm

Milliways wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:

Code: Select all

cd /lib/firmware/brcm/
sudo wget https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/raw/master/brcm80211/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin
sudo wget https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/raw/master/brcm80211/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt
Thank you, this fixed it for me!

bernardus
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Re: Problem with WiFi Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on Pi3

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Milliways wrote:
DougieLawson wrote: I think you'll need to lift /lib/firmware/brcm/* from a Raspbian card.
I've put a 7zipped version on Github at: https://github.com/DougieLawson/Raspber ... aster/brcm
Thanks Doug. I finally managed this late last night by downloading firmware.

Code: Select all

cd /lib/firmware/brcm/
sudo wget https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/raw/master/brcm80211/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin
sudo wget https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/raw/master/brcm80211/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt
Thank you very much! This fixed my problem after upgrading Ubuntu Server 16.04

Return to “Troubleshooting”