p4trykx

most reliable USB hub

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Some people claim that USB problems occur with only few devices. Maybe I'm extremely unlucky but all my usb devices have issues working with Raspi.
I tried
Modecom Wave 7 port powered hub
Targus 7 port powered hub
4 port integrated hub in AOC monitor.
All those does not work properly with 3G modems and keyboard/mouse or webcam.

I want to choose between those. Will those hubs work with 3G modems? Have anyone some personal experience with them?
LogiLink
UA0085 USB 2.0 Hub, 4-Port with PSU 5V, 2A
UA0160 USB 2.0 Hub, 4-Port with PSU 5V, 2A. Able to power the RPi, keyboard, mouse and LogiLink UA0144 USB ethernet adapter. (More testing to come.)

Sitecom
CN-032 4 Port USB 2.0 Pocket Hub. Works for powering the Pi, an USB WLAN Adapter, wireless Kbd+Mouse. Using an 2500 mA Voltcraft
CN-060 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub powered with AC Adapter (1A). Powering Pi via microUSB from a hub port.

RaTTuS

Re: most reliable USB hub

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:40 pm

dunno
YMMA
I've just been playing with a couple of usb wireless things and I've noticed a few issues
1) one of them causes a massive ammount of errors to be logged and then will lock the RPI when it is removed -
2) another works fine, produces no errors in the logs but seems to reduce the speed of the RPi responsiveness by 10-20% :-(
now I've not had a proper look as I'm busy doing a lot of other stuff but, I've gone back to having a wired connection for the moment.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Montala

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Based on what I have read in other threads, I reckon that a four port hub has more chance of working as expected that a seven (or more) port hub.

It is also important (IMHO) to check the voltage under 'load' at TP1 and TP2 on the RasPi board, as I found that even using a PSU with a quoted 2A output, the voltage dropped by 0.5V with the hub (which was also feeding the RasPi via a 'Y' cable), a Logitech K400 dongle and an Asus USB-N10 Wi-Fi adapter connected.

I was actually very pleased with the wireless connection, but I also plan to experiment using a small wireless router in 'client;' mode, which I am hoping will not then require the use of a powered hub, as I will only have the dongle plugged into the USB ports on my RasPi.

p4trykx

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Montala wrote: It is also important (IMHO) to check the voltage under 'load' at TP1 and TP2 on the RasPi board, as I found that even using a PSU with a quoted 2A output, the voltage dropped by 0.5V with the hub (which was also feeding the RasPi via a 'Y' cable), a Logitech K400 dongle and an Asus USB-N10 Wi-Fi adapter connected.
I'm constantly monitoring voltage. It's about 4.8 under stress. I even shorted the polyfuses to get rid of the voltage and rule out any brownouts.
In a desperate act I plan to power Raspi directly throug GPIO pins and LM7805 5V linear voltage regulator and add some 'huge' capacitors.

Could you tell me which model of hub are you using?

Montala

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:46 pm

p4trykx wrote:
Montala wrote: It is also important (IMHO) to check the voltage under 'load' at TP1 and TP2 on the RasPi board, as I found that even using a PSU with a quoted 2A output, the voltage dropped by 0.5V with the hub (which was also feeding the RasPi via a 'Y' cable), a Logitech K400 dongle and an Asus USB-N10 Wi-Fi adapter connected.
Could you tell me which model of hub are you using?
Yes, certainly... it is a Newlink NLUSB2-224P 4 port hub, although I am using a 2A PSU rather than the 1A one it came with.

Montala

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:42 pm

I left it too late to edit the above post, but I meant to add that my voltage across TP1 and TP2 with everything connected and 'working' was 4.98V which I was quite happy with!

lintweaker

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:39 am

I have 3 different powered hubs (I was surprised I even had that many :) ) but unfortunately they all have problems.

It is possible that a powered HUB delivers power back to the Pi.
What is the consensus on that being part of the issue or even being the issue?
I have not managed to get a cable to connect a hub to the Pi where the power lines are cut to see if that improves the situation.

p4trykx

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:45 am

I also cut the 5V wire for my hub but I discovered that it's actually powered from that line so for some hubs cutting will make them not work at all.

Return to “Troubleshooting”