ghostm42

Raspberry Pi 3 microSD card slot - spring ejection?

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:24 am

Quick question. I just got the RPi3 and notice that it doesn't eject my microSD card when I press into it. All my RPi2's have a spring ejection of the microSD card (as does all my microSD slots I've ever come across). Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a change in hardware. It works just fine, but makes it terribly hard to get the microSD card out when the RPi3 is in a case.

EDIT: I just noticed that the microSD card slot is different from those on my RPi2. Can anyone confirm whether their microSD card slot on their RPi3 is spring loaded?

Douglas6

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 microSD card slot - spring ejection?

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:39 am

The SD card holders on the Pi3 are friction fit. The push-push type on the Pi2 suffered frequent problems.

ghostm42

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:41 am

Thanks for the response. I actually did find the answer online as well just as you posted.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/rev ... iew/page/2

"The micro SD slot that provides the storage and boot media for the Raspberry Pi now appears to have changed from a click-in and click-out design to one where the card just pushes in and is held in place by friction."

That's a shame. I eject the microSD card out fairly frequently when I test different installations. In the case, the edge of the microSD card is just flush with the case surface. In RPi2, by ejecting the microSD, it pops out and makes it easy to grab. With the RPi3, I have to fish it out with my fingernails. Oh well. I'll live.

edo1

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:37 am

I had a lot of issues with B+/2B card slot - unintentional card touch results in a system failure. So I welcome this decision.
Indeed I like SD slot of first RPI. I don't see any advantage of microSD for RPI's.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:53 am

ghostm42 wrote:Thanks for the response. I actually did find the answer online as well just as you posted.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/rev ... iew/page/2

"The micro SD slot that provides the storage and boot media for the Raspberry Pi now appears to have changed from a click-in and click-out design to one where the card just pushes in and is held in place by friction."

That's a shame. I eject the microSD card out fairly frequently when I test different installations. In the case, the edge of the microSD card is just flush with the case surface. In RPi2, by ejecting the microSD, it pops out and makes it easy to grab. With the RPi3, I have to fish it out with my fingernails. Oh well. I'll live.
Put a bit of tape on uSD, to give something to hold on to.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

injurer

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:41 pm

That's so simple and so practical. Great advice, jamesh!

spidergeuse

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:27 pm

I think it's a bit backward to switch from the spring slog type. I currently have the RPI 7" screen which connects to the pi via DSI ribbon cable, which happens to be just over the micro sd slot. Now with everything bolted, it's so fiddly hard to take out sd card, and i do switch cards quite frequently.

DougieLawson

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:27 pm

spidergeuse wrote:I think it's a bit backward to switch from the spring slog type. I currently have the RPI 7" screen which connects to the pi via DSI ribbon cable, which happens to be just over the micro sd slot. Now with everything bolted, it's so fiddly hard to take out sd card, and i do switch cards quite frequently.
When you've crashed your B+, your A+ and your 2B one time too many by leaning on the SDCard and having it pop out. Then you'll think differently. The SDCard comes out easily (if I need to pull it) with tweezers or with a bit of tape on my 3B and my Zero.

The RPF folks made the right decision.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

zeth

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:38 pm

spidergeuse wrote:I think it's a bit backward to switch from the spring slog type. I currently have the RPI 7" screen which connects to the pi via DSI ribbon cable, which happens to be just over the micro sd slot. Now with everything bolted, it's so fiddly hard to take out sd card, and i do switch cards quite frequently.
I have the screen also (but leaving my Pi2 inside), I keep meaning to get a slightly longer cable (or maybe the existing one will work) and reroute it around the slot. If you look how they made the Astro Pi cases, the cables can be folded:

Aahicnow

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:11 am

I saw some one suggested using tweezers to remove the micro sdcard I would advise against that as I have destroyed one card already with that advise.

Return to “Troubleshooting”