Alan Johnstone

Raspbery pi 3 Wifi

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:54 pm

I have just got my Rpi3 and set it up to work headless with no problems. I happened to have the pi plugged in within a meter of the router. I have now tried to move it a few yards away and I cannot see it on the network. Moving it back to the original spot and it reappears.
So I assume that the inbuilt wifi is at fault. My rpi2 with usb wifi dongle works throughout the house.
Has anybody else had this problem? Should I be returning the board?

Alan

Alan Johnstone

Re: Raspbery pi 3 Wifi

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Update
I have been using one of those transparent plastic cases designed for the Rpi 2. Taking the top off that allows the wifi to work at least as far away as the other side of the room. I do not have an "official" rpi case to test but i do not see how it can be any diferent unless it is made of some material that has no effect on the signal.
I also note that others have been having problems with the on board wifi. When I work out how to do it i will be diableing the on board wifi and using a dongle - which is rather sad.

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Try running sudo rpi-update && sudo reboot there's some firmware changes that affect the on-board WiFi.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Alan Johnstone

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Well much to my surprise that worked. I can now use the Pi with the case on and I am connecting to a router about 15m away in another room.

Alan

Return to “Troubleshooting”