3ntroPi

Black screen and cursor after installing python-whiteboard

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi, I've tried this twice with fresh installs of latest Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi 3.

After installing python-whiteboard, the next time I boot, after the scrolling messages, when I'd expect X to start, I just get a blinking cursor in the top left and that's how it stays.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

B.heuvelings

Re: Black screen and cursor after installing python-whiteboa

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:51 pm

I am having the same problem right now.
After i installed the update i did a reboot and the only thing i get is a black screen with a cursor flashing in the top right.
When i press Ctrl+Alt+F2 i briefly see a login screen but it immediatley switches back.

Supermerlin

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:31 pm

That is nearly the same behaviour I got after installing arduino IDE on a fresh Raspbian image on a Pi3.

Regards, Supermerlin

DirkS

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:13 pm

On a non-Noobs Raspbian install: check free disk space.
One of the more common cause is that users don't expand the filesystem and the Pi only sees about 4GB of the SD card.

To expand the filesystem run 'sudo raspi-config' from the command line or the GUI counterpart from the menu (IIRC it's under Preferences).

B.heuvelings

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:21 pm

DirkS wrote:On a non-Noobs Raspbian install: check free disk space.
One of the more common cause is that users don't expand the filesystem and the Pi only sees about 4GB of the SD card.

To expand the filesystem run 'sudo raspi-config' from the command line or the GUI counterpart from the menu (IIRC it's under Preferences).
Thank you this fixed it for me i got through the login and in the raspi config too expand the storage.

KristianP

Wed May 03, 2017 7:21 am

DirkS wrote:To expand the filesystem run 'sudo raspi-config' from the command line or the GUI counterpart from the menu (IIRC it's under Preferences).
Thanks! I fixed it by pressing CTRL+ALT+F2, and then doing what you said.

Return to “Troubleshooting”