TerryC65

RPi 3 and a (Lowish) Resolution Monitor

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi,

I received my RPi 3 today and tried it out using the same hardware setup that I've previously used for the RPi 2 and Zero, eg HP w1907s monitor (resolution 1440x900) with an HDMI to VGA adaptor, a wired mouse and a wired keyboard. The red LED illuminated, but there was zero activity from the other LED.

I downloaded NOOBS 1.8 and tried again; exactly the same, however I did establish that NOOBS started up when the SD Card was inserted into the Pi 2. I then tried to boot with the RPi 3 connected to the HDMI port on my new iiyama Prolite X2380HS (resolution 1920 x 1080) with the same other peripherals and it works.

I'm assuming that the graphics chip in the RPi 3 is different to the earlier models, but is there a way to get it to boot into Raspbi Config at least?

fruitoftheloom

Re: RPi 3 and a (Lowish) Resolution Monitor

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:45 pm

TerryC65 wrote:Hi,

I received my RPi 3 today and tried it out using the same hardware setup that I've previously used for the RPi 2 and Zero, eg HP w1907s monitor (resolution 1440x900) with an HDMI to VGA adaptor, a wired mouse and a wired keyboard. The red LED illuminated, but there was zero activity from the other LED.

I downloaded NOOBS 1.8 and tried again; exactly the same, however I did establish that NOOBS started up when the SD Card was inserted into the Pi 2. I then tried to boot with the RPi 3 connected to the HDMI port on my new iiyama Prolite X2380HS (resolution 1920 x 1080) with the same other peripherals and it works.

I'm assuming that the graphics chip in the RPi 3 is different to the earlier models, but is there a way to get it to boot into Raspbi Config at least?
The VC4 VCU is the same only the ARM CPU has been changed..

If using Raspbian Jessie it needs updating to function with RPi3 likewise NOOBS

Try the latest release of Standalone Raspbian Jessie https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

TerryC65

Re: RPi 3 and a (Lowish) Resolution Monitor

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Replying to myself....

After I had booted into Raspi.Config using the iiyama monitor, I let it write Raspbian to the SD Card and checked that it booted OK.

I thn reconnected the HP monitor and it worked, so presumably the issue lies with the graphics recognition in NOOBS 1.8, when run in an RPi 3.

So if anyone else stumbles across this problem, the work-round is to beg steal or borrow an HDMI monitor or telly!

Return to “Troubleshooting”