BKJ

Please Help. What HDMI-VGA adapter will work?

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:22 am

I just got a Raspberry Pi B+ after I found an HDMI-VGA adapter-cable at an online shop.

The cable was delivered today and it doesn't work. I tested it on my Macbook Pro (2015 model with HDMI output built-in), a MacMini and an original model AppleTV I happened to have in a closet. It doesn't work anywhere and the company who sold it to me say that they think these devices do not provide enough power to the chip inside the cable.

My wife and I live in Japan, only returned from a stint in Europe, and for now we are in a tiny one-room flat where space is an absolute premium. We don't have a TV and we have no space for one.

I had ordered the Pi specifically because of its small size and in the hope to use it as a testing platform for cross-platform testing of a Modula-2 compiler I am currently working on.

Yet without a working HDMI-VGA adapter, the Pi will be absolutely useless to me.

I am appalled at how the Pi is sold here in Japan. Not even RS are stocking the case, the power supply nor any HDMI-VGA adapter. I believe this should be made mandatory for every reseller.

I had to buy all the pieces separately and now the shop I got the cable from says they never heard of the Raspberry Pi and tell me that such toys are not supported.

What do I do now? Buy another adapter cable only to find out that it doesn't work either, then move on to the next and the next and the next, in the process wasting weeks and hundreds of dollars on cables?

Can anybody name an HDMI-VGA adapter that they know for sure will work with the Pi B+, available in an online shop that is willing to ship to Japan and accept either a Japanese issued credit card or Paypal?

I experiences that stores outside of Japan either refuse to accept a Japanese issued credit card or they won't ship to Japan in the first place. The Pi Hut for example replied to me that all the parcels they ever sent to "the country in question" got lost and they no longer ship to "that country". Of course this is a blatant lie because the Japanese Post is one of the most reliable organisations on the planet. They don't lose parcels.

I have to say I am not at all impressed with the way the Pi Foundation manage their resellers. It should either be mandatory for every official reseller to stock all the necessary items that a beginner will need to get their Pi working: boards, official power supply, official case, HDMI-VGA adapter or cable. The Pi foundation should run their own store offering these basic items and ship to countries that the official resellers don't serve or only offer boards for.

I was forced to buy all the pieces separately. This is now causing me problems. In the end I may end up spending three times the cost of the Pi just to get the necessary accessories that will work with it by trial and error. This is not what I expected.

For ~ 100 USD one can get a PCengines single board computer based on the AMD Geode LX with VGA and an official power supply and case. Its about 2.5 to 3 times the size of the Pi, but one can order everything directly from the Swiss vendor, pay by Paypal or with a credit card even if its issued in Japan and they ship to Japan. Apparently I was a fool to want an even smaller box.

I hope somebody will come forward to help me get an adapter that will work without taking any further gambles. Failing that, I will probably crush the Pi to relief some of the anger that has built up and throw it away.

As you can tell, I am extremely upset about the whole experience with the Pi so far.

DirkS

Re: Please Help. What HDMI-VGA adapter will work?

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:55 am

BKJ wrote:I just got a Raspberry Pi B+ after I found an HDMI-VGA adapter-cable at an online shop.
TL;DR.
What cable do you have now? Do you have a link?

GTR2Fan

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:50 am

As the cable doesn't seem to work with any hardware you try it with, it seems fair to put the blame on the cable at this stage.

There are plenty of HDMI-to-VGA converters around that work very well in conjunction with a standard VGA-to-VGA cable. A friend uses this one with an early Pi with no problems, so it should work fine with a B+...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F ... ge_o04_s01
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

LetHopeItsSnowing

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 am

I use the HDMI to VGA adapters all the time in schools. Nothing like as simple as an experience as HDMI -> HDMI or HDMI -> DVI, but they work!
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

RaTTuS

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:00 am

viewforum.php?f=82 can possibly help to find something local
however if your hdmi to vga is a passive cable then it will not work , it needs to be an adapter [i.e. something that can change the signals from digital HDMI to analog VGA]

but it does sound like the cable is faulty
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

BKJ

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:58 pm

DirkS wrote: What cable do you have now? Do you have a link?
The cable is a Japanese made product called HDVG20-114BK.

It has an MCU within the HDMI side plug which draws power from the HDMI port and the vendor said it was designed for CATV and satellite tuners, so it may expect to draw more power than the devices I tested it with provide.

And this will happen over and over and over and over and over again UNLESS I can find a cable that is guaranteed to work with the Pi. Nothing else will do, I have no cycles for nonsense. Shopping by trial and error is about the most horrible shopping experience imaginable.

I do not fault the cable, I fault the Raspberry Pi foundation for not imposing a very strict policy on their resellers that they must stock all the basic official accessories necessary for a beginner to get the device working out of the box without any kind of trial and error whatsoever. A reseller that only wants to sell boards should never be authorised for a product like the Pi. And neither should companies like Pi Hut who claim that they lost oodles of parcels in Japan which is a blatant lie.

The problem is very clearly when you have to buy different pieces from different sources. When a problem occurs, none of those sources will be responsible, you are stuck with the mess. Since I am in Japan, my shopping options are extremely limited because retailers in Europe and the US seem to have some kind of phobia against shipping to Japan. But they do complain a lot about the trade deficit they have with Japan. If you people refuse to ship your products to Japan you shouldn't be complaining about any trade deficit. It's ridiculous.

BKJ

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:07 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:A friend uses this one with an early Pi with no problems, so it should work fine with a B+...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F ... ge_o04_s01
I clicked on the link and it says ...

In stock.
Sorry, we can't deliver this item to Japan. Learn more

But they do complain about the trade deficit with Japan. Birdbrains.

toxibunny

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:36 pm

I just get the cheap ones from eBay. They all work. I like them so much, I own three of them!
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

RaTTuS

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:56 am

http://tinyurl.com/zj3k4uf one of those ?
http://tinyurl.com/hyqwnnj those are known to work
other people may be able to confirm

Covfefe

BKJ

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:18 pm

RaTTuS wrote:http://tinyurl.com/zj3k4uf one of those ?
http://tinyurl.com/hyqwnnj those are known to work
other people may be able to confirm
Yes, the Horic HDVG20-114BK is exactly the cable that I bought.

I am not sure how to interpret your post though. On the one hand you seem to be saying that this cable is known to work with the Pi, but you don't seem to be sure enough when asking for others to confirm this.

If somebody can indeed confirm that this cable worked for them, then it could either be that the 1A power supply I got for my Pi is not good enough for powering the MCU in the cable as the Pi Foundation recommends a 1.2A PSU as minimum. Or it could indeed be that I was unlucky enough to receive a faulty product but that is extremely rare in Japan. The Japanese go out of their way to avoid this kind of thing. When you sell something here on Yahoo Auctions (eBay Japan flopped and left the market to Yahoo) it is expected and customary that you take zoomed photos of every little blemish and tell your prospective customers about every reason why they may not want the product. You also test everything before you package it. This is just the culture here, so while it is not entirely impossible to receive a faulty product, it is rare enough to reckon that you could safely rule it out. So, if I know somebody has used this cable successfully with a Pi, I may invest in another PSU and change the plug on the PSU cable to micro USB myself.

Thanks for your reply and thanks to anyone who could confirm this.

RaTTuS

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:23 pm

I have to go by what it looks like as I am relying on the google translate ...
but those 2nd ones have been shown to work if they are the same as the ones generally available [I don't have one as I used hdmi or hdmi to dvi adapters]
I'd ask in the Japanese forum if I was you as someone may know for sure .

Covfefe

Return to “Troubleshooting”