NickT

Model A+, will not flash green LED 10 times on shutdown

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:47 pm

When I enter sudo shutdown - h now, my A+ will not flash the ACT led 10 time on shutdown. shutown -P now gives the same. If I use a previous version of Raspbian or the very latest (apt-get update, dist-upgraded) still no flashes. If I change the wifi adapter, no change. If I put the same wifi adapter and the same SD card in a pizero, it does flash ten times on shutdown.

The only thing in common is the board, which will never flash 10 times. Otherwise it works fine. Connecting a camera makes no difference. I'm greatly puzzled by this, as how can the board and processor behave wrongly, when the same SD card works on other boards?

Forgot to say that putting the SD card from a working pizero into the a+ still gives no flashes on shutdown.

Goraxium

Re: Model A+, will not flash green LED 10 times on shutdown

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:38 am

Stupid question, but it needs to be asked: does it flash at all?

Also, none of my Pis flash that LED 10 times. 5-6 at most.

The only time I've had any real issues with it not flashing, was when I was using a damaged power cable that wasn't supplying the Pi with enough power. If you see the rainbow square in the top right corner of your display, you may have a similar problem.

NickT

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:40 am

It doesn't flash in a regular sequence with the latest Raspbian. With this kernel

Code: Select all

Linux mypithreejes 4.1.18+ #846 Thu Feb 25 14:11:56 GMT 2016 armv6l GNU/Linux
I get no power down sequence of flashes
However I had an old img from October 2015 with this kernel:

Code: Select all

Linux mypithree 3.18.11+ #781 PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:02:18 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux
and it does go through the 10 flash sequence.
Both loads were the full Raspbian, not the lite version. From memory I think that I removed the wolfram and Libre Office using the proper apt-get remove/purge commands to get from the October img to the current one.

MrEngman

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:45 am

I think there was a change in how halt worked some time back and to get the 10 flashes on powerdown you now need to use command sudo poweroff.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

NickT

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 am

MrEngman wrote:I think there was a change in how halt worked some time back and to get the 10 flashes on powerdown you now need to use command sudo poweroff.

MrEngman
Possibly but it doesn't work on my A+. I still get no flashes.

NickT

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:36 am

I have just downloaded the latest Raspbianlite image from RP's download page. It has the same kernel ( 4.1.18+ #846 Thu Feb 25 14:11:56 GMT). I changed only my password and wpa_supplicant.conf. This gives no flashes on power off. I can only conclude that it's a kernel version 4 issue for the model A+.

Update
I put that same new Jessie Lite card into my Pi2. When connected via ethernet cable or by wifi, both ways the green led flashes on powerdown. So it's an issue produced by the combination of kernel 4 AND model A+ hardware.

Return to “Troubleshooting”