Booleanboy

Pi3 hanging at rainbow screen

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:49 pm

I've just received a Pi3 and am attempting to get it running. I have a couple of SD images (a 32GB card formatted under NOOBS with Jessie and a 64GB card with the image installed directly). Each of these work perfectly happily with my Pi2.

When I try to boot the Pi3 using either of these cards it hangs at the rainbow screen. I'm using a good quality 2amp power supply that runs the Pi2 with Wifi card and cordless Kbd/Mouse happily. Could this 2A supply be the cause of the problem or is the issue likely to lie elsewhere?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi3 hanging at rainbow screen

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:42 pm

Did you update your cards using

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

prior to moving to the Pi3?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Booleanboy

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Thank you for your swift response.

I'd run sudo apt-get update but not upgrade on the NOOBS one this morning. The other card was just the image as downloaded.

I ran both commands on both cards and now the Pi3 boots perfectly with either. Thanks for your swift response and concise and accurate advice!

geev03

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:33 pm

Booleanboy wrote:Could this 2A supply be the cause of the problem or is the issue likely to lie elsewhere?
Not a 2A power supply problem. I have such a 5V/2A phone charger that happily powers up Raspbian and UbuntuMateImage

JimmyN

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:45 pm

Booleanboy wrote: I'd run sudo apt-get update but not upgrade on the NOOBS one this morning. The other card was just the image as downloaded.
!
Keep in mind that "apt-get update" merely updates the repository list on the Pi, it doesn't change anything. "apt-get upgrade" uses that updated list, compares it to what is installed, and packages/firmware with a newer version available get "upgraded".

So update first to get the latest list, then upgrade to actually bring things up to date.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:15 pm

With a NOOBS card there's an extra dance needed to update the recovery*.* (not recovery.cmdline) and bootcode.bin files. The easier option is a fresh copy of NOOBS 1.8.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

MikeDunn

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:29 pm

DougieLawson wrote:The easier option is a fresh copy of NOOBS 1.8.
Did the update & upgrade; upped the dist too. Nothing worked. :(

Blatted the thing & am now deploying latest version of NOOBS ... but at least it is deploying now ;)

smallclone

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Got a new Pi3 today supplied with noobs, was uber excited. I installed Openelec and Rasbian, but only raspbian works. Openelec gives the black screen. It warns me before I install anything other than rasbpian that it is not a compatible OS.

Tried this sd card in a Rpi 2 and everything works. But not my new Rpi3.

The versions of openelec are Rpi 1 and RPi2. OSMC also gives black screen.

I have tried sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-getupgrade from within terminal in raspbian and it ran through the commands, but didn't make a difference.

I have no SD card reader available.

I've hit the wall. Help would be appreciated.

D3nny_

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:16 pm

Hey,

having the exact same problem here. I tried like 5 different images and only raspbian worked for me..
I was about to commit suicide after trying 3 different SD Cards and 5 different images on all of them :D

In the end I simply tried booting up one of them on my Pi2 and it worked right away.

Guess it's something about the Pi3. We'll have to wait for an update or whatever may come to fix this.
Btw. tried OpenELEC and somehow it worked at first.. after trying to reinstall it it did not boot either xD
(Just wanted to say that you guys are not alone.. :) )

D3nny_

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:39 pm

Hey Guys,

had the same problem.. found a solution for me.

I took the start.elf from this Page https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf and replaced it with the current start.elf file on the SD Card. Everything's working now.

johnwmcc

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 am

I have had same problem with everything except Raspbian.

Tried RasPlex v 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. Get rainbow screen, then four long green LED flashes, followed by four quick green LED flashes, indefinitely repeated.

RasPlex forum says this will be fixed in forthcoming update v 1.0.3 of RasPlex.

Tried 32GB SDHC Class 10 SD card that I have spare, and downloaded NOOBS 1.8.0 - fresh from this site. Boots into menu, tried to load OSMC. Appeared to load ok, but on reboot, back to repeated green LED flashing and no OS loading.

Raspbian DOES work, though it took a long time to load - wasn't counting exactlly, but nearly half an hour at a guess. It does reboot, and appears to be working on a quick check, which suggests there wasn't anything wrong with my formatting of the NOOBS card.

I REALLY wanted a media client, so I'm very disappointed that the two I've tried won't load.

Is there any fix for OSMC on NOOBS 1.8 not working on RPi3B? Or will some update soon fix it?

John McC

PS. I saw previous post suggesting replacing start.elf. Where should the replacement go? As far as I can see, it doesn't appear in the NOOBS_v1_8_0 folder I extracted from the download.
Last edited by johnwmcc on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisoh

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:23 am

johnwmcc wrote:Is there any fix for OSMC on NOOBS 1.8 not working on RPi3B? Or will some update soon fix it?
Don't know about noobs, but the osmc team are working to get a Pi3 compatible image out in the next couple of days acoording to thier website.
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

johnwmcc

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:29 am

Thank you for that. I'll look out for the replacements for RasPlex and OSMC and try them direct.

djlegge

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:48 am

Same problem for me with my Pi3 - It hangs at the Rainbow screen.
The ACT LED flashes 8 times (the last 4 flashes being quicker than the first 4 flashes).
The SD card is noobs with Jessie on and boots fine in a Pi2.
Updated with apt-get update and upgrade. Also tried rpi-update, and finally replaced all the files in /boot with the latest ones from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware.git.
The sticky at the top of this page suggests 'SD RAM not recognised' for 8 flashes, but does not mention the some flashes being quicker than others !
Any suggestions ? Thanks...

WingedJaguar

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:04 pm

With the new Pi3 but sadly also stuck at the Rainbow screen when using previous Pi2 builds. Have done an update and upgrade on the Pi2 as tried by others - no difference and no boot. I wasn't expecting that!

I would rather not have to rebuild my existing system if I can possibly avoid it. Some of the builds I use are not my own so do I not have system access. If anyone can provide a guide or utility for a novice that can 'update' the Pi2 builds to be immediately bootable on the Pi3 that would be really, really handy.

Replacing the start.elf file didn't work either.

smallclone

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:05 pm

Noobs juts doesn't like it. For those that are after openelec - I just burned the 6.03 disk image on to it. and it has worked.

a5mith

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Having the same issue, it worked fine the first time I plugged it in using an image that had been running on the Pi2 for months. Plugged it into the 3, no issues. Updated OSMC and it began to run slower than the original Pi. So rebuilt the image, and am now getting the same 4 slow blinking LEDs, followed by 4 quicker ones. Plugged the same SD card back into the Pi2, and it works straight away.

Have tried different SD cards, a more powerful USB Hub to power it, still an issue. I will give this start.elf file a go and report back.

djlegge

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:09 pm

As DougieLawson and others stated NOOBS needs updating.
I see now that NOOBS itself is on /dev/mmcblk0p1 and the normal update just fixes /boot (which is /dev/mmcblk0p6 on a NOOBS installation).
Playing around I downloaded the latest NOOBS onto my Pi2, and did the following :

Code: Select all

mkdir test
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 test
cd test
sudo rm -rf *
sudo unzip NOOBS_v1_8_0.zip
Then shutdown and put the SD card in the Pi3. This worked but the first thing NOOBS did was WIPE my existing installation (which I kind of expected). I did not bother to check if the NOOBS settings could be preserved so clearly it detected a new install.
Anyway, after that the Pi 3 does indeed work fine.
Perhaps one extra step (or maybe not erasing everything before unzipping!) would preserve the installation...

sneakernets

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:28 pm

I'm having a similar issue, but with a small rainbow square at the top right, combined with the big rainbow screen "square". Tried all my previous Pi Power supplies, no dice. I will be formatting a new card this afternoon, perhaps it's a firmware issue... I hope, I just bought the Pi 3 :(

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:34 pm

The small rainbow icon means the power monitor detected that the 5V supply drops below 4.65V, could be your microUSB cable that has too much resistance, and drops too much voltage due to the higher current draw.
The large rainbow screen (not disappearing) means the CPU was not started, probably due to wrong (old) firmware.

sneakernets

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:40 pm

mahjongg wrote:The small rainbow icon means the power monitor detected that the 5V supply drops below 4.65V, could be your microUSB cable that has too much resistance, and drops too much voltage due to the higher current draw.
The large rainbow screen (not disappearing) means the CPU was not started, probably due to wrong (old) firmware.
I bought the CanaKit RPI3 pack, which comes with a 5V 2.5A power supply.

I used my RPi 2 to download the latest firmware with rpi-update, and upgraded the distro to the latest Jessie. Is there anything else I'm missing that would cause the rainbow screen with no green LED flashes?

pschuetz

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:55 am

Hello,
I hat the same problem.

I solved it with downloading the newest Raspian Version and it worked on the Pi3.

My solution was to copy the following files from the fresh downloaded Raspian to the older Image (kerberos.io image for Pi2):
bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb
fixup.dat
fixup_cd.dat
fixup_db.dat
fixup_x.dat
start.elf
start_cd.elf
start_db.elf
start_x.elf
bootcode.bin

then it booted up. I did not tried to find out if all these files have to be copied.
Peter

timtowers

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:00 am

Beware about copying files from a new Noobs installation, I just did that and my SD Card was "resized", removing my previous work.
Hmm, did I take a backup...

rickybloomfield

Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:59 pm

FYI, I had this issue and tested my card in a friend's RPi3. It worked fine in his Pi, so the conclusion was that my Pi was bad. Just wanted others to know in case they have run up against a wall on their troubleshooting. Thanks!

GNDeSouza

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:11 am

I had the same problem (Pi-3 hanging at rainbow screen) using Raspian.
The following sequence worked for me on a Pi-2 with the SD card that I would like to use on the Pi-3

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade ## make sure that raspberrypi-ui-mods is in the list to be upgraded
## if not, do a sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mod
reboot

sudo apt-get update
# some keys seemed to get broken -- may not happen to you tho
sudo gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key 8B48AD6246925553
sudo gpg -a --export 8B48AD6246925553 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key 7638D0442B90D010
sudo gpg -a --export 7638D0442B90D010 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo mkdir /boot-old
cp -a /boot/start* /boot-old/
sudo wget https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf /boot/