cottagepi

Power LED on shutdown - Pi3

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi.
Not sure if it an issue or not...
I got my new Pi3 this morning, but one thing I have noticed is when it is shutdown, both of the activity and power LEDs remain on. On the previouse Pi, the green activity LED would be lit and the red power LED would extinguish showing that it had entered "safe" power-off mode. With the new one, it doesn't do this.

Is this correct behaviour for the new Pi3? Does it do the same on your Pi3?

I am using the latest NOOBS build taken from this site today.

Thanks.

PeterO

Re: Power LED on shutdown - Pi3

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:09 am

Same thing happens with Raspbian ! Does it make it more likely that sdcards will be corrupted by premature power removal ?

After pressing my red "OFF" button (gpio connected) I always wait for the 10 green flashes on my old PI that provides DNS/DHCP/NTP for my network.

PeterO

PS: As has been pointed out to me the 10 flashes do still happen , I just wasn't watching soon enough as the PI3 (or maybe it is a Jessie vs Wheesy thing) starts flashing them sooner !

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

cottagepi

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:48 am

Hi Peter.
Thanks for your reply. It's a shame that there is no clear way to show that it is now safe to remove power by looking at the board.

Regards.

chacuavip10

Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Does its normal that the red led stay on while the pi is working. I ask cause few day ago my pi working without red led on. now it stay on all the time

DirkS

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:09 pm

chacuavip10 wrote:Does its normal that the red led stay on while the pi is working. I ask cause few day ago my pi working without red led on. now it stay on all the time
The red led going off is a warning that the voltage is dropping too low.
It generally mean that your power supply and / or microUSB cable are not up to scratch.

Did you have more (USB) peripherals attached when the led went off than you have now?

chacuavip10

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:54 pm

DirkS wrote:
chacuavip10 wrote:Does its normal that the red led stay on while the pi is working. I ask cause few day ago my pi working without red led on. now it stay on all the time
The red led going off is a warning that the voltage is dropping too low.
It generally mean that your power supply and / or microUSB cable are not up to scratch.

Did you have more (USB) peripherals attached when the led went off than you have now?
You mean that the red led alway on is normal?
I just change the cable, same adapter (5V, 2A), look like the problem is the cable, that 's odd.

DirkS

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:00 pm

chacuavip10 wrote:You mean that the red led alway on is normal?
Yes
I just change the cable, same adapter (5V, 2A), look like the problem is the cable, that 's odd.
Not odd at all. If the cable is too thin the resistance goes up and the voltage goes down...
There are many dodgy cables out there...

Doogals

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:47 am

Just shutdown my Pi 3 for the first time and have the same question about the red and green LED staying illuminated after shutdown?

Is this normal? Not sure I see a definitive answer here?

Thanks.

dgordon42

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:06 am

On a Pi 3B, the red LED functions as a power supply monitor. If the Pi is being supplied with the correct voltage, the red LED will be on steadily. This is true, even if the Pi has been shutdown.
If the red LED blinks or flashes at any time when the Pi is running or shutdown, the supplied voltage is too low, and the Pi may not operate correctly.
This is true for the model B+ and the Pi 2B, as well as the Pi 3B.

On a Pi 3B, the green LED is an activity indicator. It functions differently from that in previous models of the Pi. On my Pi 3, it flashes about once a second during normal operation. This rate of flashing seems to change with access to the SD card and/or WiFi activity. When the Pi 3 B is shut down, it flashes intermittently for a short period, then does ten quick flashes, and then remains on steadily to indicate that the the Pi has shut down.
This behavior is different from previous models, where the activity LED would turn off when the Pi was shut down.

So, on a Pi 3B both the red and green LED's will be on steadily after a normal shutdown has completed.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:44 pm

dgordon42 wrote:When the Pi 3 B is shut down, it flashes intermittently for a short period, then does ten quick flashes, and then remains on steadily to indicate that the the Pi has shut down.
This behavior is different from previous models, where the activity LED would turn off when the Pi was shut down.

So, on a Pi 3B both the red and green LED's will be on steadily after a normal shutdown has completed.
Hi Dave, my rasppi4 (primary workstation RPi 3B) functions as you describe ... both lights on solid after shutdown, consistently; however, my rasppi3 (headless RPi 3B) has only the red LED on solid after shutdown-- the green LED flashes a few times then goes out and stays out.

I am wondering if this is inconsistent between cards, or if the behavior is different depending on whether the machine has a display attached?

tnx
marcus
:ugeek:

dgordon42

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Marcus,
I don't know why your 2 Pi 3B's behave differently at shutdown. Is your rasppi3 machine running with a NOBBS card by any chance?
My machines are all now running plane Raspbian, but I did have a NOBBS card in a B+ at one time, and it's shutdown behavior was different, it did not do the ten flash thing.
As far as I know, the activity LED behavior is not set in stone, it may change in the future, and is now different between different model Pi's.

Dave.

dml2718

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:26 pm

dgordon42 wrote:Marcus,
I don't know why your 2 Pi 3B's behave differently at shutdown. Is your rasppi3 machine running with a NOBBS card by any chance?
My machines are all now running plane Raspbian, but I did have a NOBBS card in a B+ at one time, and it's shutdown behavior was different, it did not do the ten flash thing.
As far as I know, the activity LED behavior is not set in stone, it may change in the future, and is now different between different model Pi's.

Dave.
On shutdown for my rpi3b running raspbian loaded a few days ago, the green activity led flashes a few times, then 10 periodic flashes, then it's off for good, while the red power led stays on forever. Maybe a difference in raspbian release.

DougieLawson

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:42 am

dml2718 wrote: On shutdown for my rpi3b running raspbian loaded a few days ago, the green activity led flashes a few times, then 10 periodic flashes, then it's off for good, while the red power led stays on forever. Maybe a difference in raspbian release.
That is precisely what it's supposed to do at shutdown time. Everything is normal, all is good.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

tomgatpi

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:05 am

I asked this question of the Raspberry pi org. Unable to work out what the red and green status leds are doing on pi 3 model B+ device works fine but the leds do not appear to follow any pattern. The schematic does not show how the leds are driven. Can you help ?

I got this response

Thank you for your interest in Raspberry Pi.

Unfortunately, we can only offer limited support and we would recommend that you go on our forum and post your question there as it is more likely that someone else may have already encountered this challenge.

I was not expecting a challenge when I purchased the board !

Any one know the answer

dgordon42

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Red LED lights when the supplied 5V power is within specs. It goes out when the power supplied drops below about 4.6V, although the Pi may continue to operate. Note that the fact that the Red LED is on does not mean that the Pi is up and running, only that the power supply is good.

Green LED normally indicates SD Card activity, much the same as a Hard Drive LED on a PC.
The green LED is also used as a troubleshooting aid during booting, see the boot sticky post for more details.
The Green LED is flashed 10 times at the end of a software shutdown when running Raspbian (not sure about NOOBS these days).
The Green LED can be reprogrammed using "DT Overlay" commands in the '/boot/config.text' file. Read the '/boot/overlays/README' file for further details about how to do this.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

Return to “Troubleshooting”