cdclawson
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:30 pm

I've heard there's a way to use Windows drivers on Linux with a package called "ndiswrapper", but I've never tried it. Then again, it might fail anyway because it's ARM and not x86.

Anyway, my kernel is stock Raspbian:
Linux raspberrypi3 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

I think a newer kernel is installed but isn't getting booted for some reason. I'm kind of a Linux newbie :oops:

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 pm

cdclawson wrote:I've heard there's a way to use Windows drivers on Linux with a package called "ndiswrapper", but I've never tried it. Then again, it might fail anyway because it's ARM and not x86.

Anyway, my kernel is stock Raspbian:
Linux raspberrypi3 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

I think a newer kernel is installed but isn't getting booted for some reason. I'm kind of a Linux newbie :oops:
I've compiled the 8822bu driver with a couple of warnings. Whether it will work or not I don't know as I don't have a 8822bu wifi module to test it with.

You can download and install it using commands

Code: Select all

wget http://fars-robotics.net/8822bu-4.4.50-v7-970.tar.gz
tar xzf 8822bu-4.4.50-v7-970.tar.gz
./install.sh
You will also need to setup your wifi configuration to connect to your network.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

cdclawson
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:14 am

Well, it mostly seems to work. I can scan, I can connect to an AP, but my packets aren't going anywhere. Guess I need to mess with the configuration some more.

BTW where did you find the driver source, and did you need to do anything special to compile it? Thanks

Edit: I had the entry in /etc/network/interfaces set to manual instead of dhcp. All seems to be working now.

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:21 am

cdclawson wrote:Well, it mostly seems to work. I can scan, I can connect to an AP, but my packets aren't going anywhere. Guess I need to mess with the configuration some more.

BTW where did you find the driver source, and did you need to do anything special to compile it? Thanks

Edit: I had the entry in /etc/network/interfaces set to manual instead of dhcp. All seems to be working now.
I found the source here https://github.com/brandon-bailey/rtl8822bu

With Raspbian Jessie you shouldn't be editing file /etc/network/interfaces to configure the wifi. It can apparently cause problems. Plenty of stuff on the forum about this.

You should just need to set up file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf correctly. I have 6 different versions of the Pi with a variety of different wifi modules and drivers and they are all configured using /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf set up like

Code: Select all

country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="Network-Name"
        psk="Network-Password"
}
Set it up with country= where you are and your own network name and password.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nix235
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sun May 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Greetings!

Is there a driver for:
kernel rev: 4.9.25-v7+
build: 995

I do: wget http://fars-robotics.net/8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz

But I cannot decompress the file. Downloaded file is 699kb

tar xzf 8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz

produces: Cannot open: No such file or directory
Child returned status 2

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sun May 07, 2017 6:30 pm

nix235 wrote:Greetings!

Is there a driver for:
kernel rev: 4.9.25-v7+
build: 995

I do: wget http://fars-robotics.net/8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz

But I cannot decompress the file. Downloaded file is 699kb

tar xzf 8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz

produces: Cannot open: No such file or directory
Child returned status 2

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
The 8812au driver is available for 4.9.25-v7~ #995. Did you type the file name correctly when using the tar xzf command? The error is typical if you type the name incorrectly which would essentially point to a file that doesn't exist.

Just tried myself and have no problems.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ wget http://fars-robotics.net/8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz
--2017-05-07 19:15:13--  http://fars-robotics.net/8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz
Resolving fars-robotics.net (fars-robotics.net)... 212.23.8.80
Connecting to fars-robotics.net (fars-robotics.net)|212.23.8.80|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 699307 (683K) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: ‘8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz’

8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz               100%[======================================================================================>] 682.92K   743KB/s   in 0.9s

2017-05-07 19:15:19 (743 KB/s) - ‘8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz’ saved [699307/699307]

[email protected]:~ $ tar xzvf 8812au-4.9.25-v7-995.tar.gz
8812au.ko
8812au.conf
install.sh
The extra v in tar xzvf lists the files as they are decompressed.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nix235
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sun May 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Yep I had the wrong tar command. BTW you have assisted me before with this very same wifi adapter for a different build a while ago. Thanks again and your a credit to the community :)

loufenec
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Hey @MrEngman,
I have this, of you can help me with this wifi:
Linux raspberrypi 4.9.41-v7+ #1023 SMP Tue Aug 8 16:00:15 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

It is a PI 2

Thanks a lot !

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:53 am

loufenec wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:03 pm
Hey @MrEngman,
I have this, of you can help me with this wifi:
Linux raspberrypi 4.9.41-v7+ #1023 SMP Tue Aug 8 16:00:15 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

It is a PI 2

Thanks a lot !
I have a script which will automatically determine the driver version you need for the Raspbian kernel version you are using and download and install it.

Download and install the script with commands

Code: Select all

sudo wget http://www.fars-robotics.net/install-wifi -O /usr/bin/install-wifi
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/install-wifi
The command

Code: Select all

sudo install-wifi -h
will show details on using it.

To install the driver on your current kernel you should just need to run command

Code: Select all

sudo install-wifi
This will select the driver you need and automatically download and install it.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

loufenec
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Yes !
Thank you very much, it worked like a charm :)
I guess I'l have to launch this process every Raspbian update ?

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 pm

loufenec wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:53 pm
Yes !
Thank you very much, it worked like a charm :)
I guess I'l have to launch this process every Raspbian update ?
Yes, you will whenever you update the kernel, but at least you now have a working wifi.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

loufenec
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:16 am

And I thank you for that !

SkywalkerPD
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 am

Will this process work on a Pi3 running LibreELEC 8.1.2? I'm using the EW-7811UTC dongle, and it doesn't work with 5Ghz AC.

At the moment I use this configuration:

echo "options 8812au rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_ips_mode=1 rtw_vht_enable=0 rtw_ht_enable=1" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/8812au.conf

And now it is stable but only on wifi N. If there is a way to enable working and stable 5Ghz AC, I really like to try that!

Thanks!

SkywalkerPD
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:47 pm

SkywalkerPD wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 am
Will this process work on a Pi3 running LibreELEC 8.1.2? I'm using the EW-7811UTC dongle, and it doesn't work with 5Ghz AC.

At the moment I use this configuration:

echo "options 8812au rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_ips_mode=1 rtw_vht_enable=0 rtw_ht_enable=1" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/8812au.conf

And now it is stable but only on wifi N. If there is a way to enable working and stable 5Ghz AC, I really like to try that!

Thanks!
Hi MrEngman. All of the websites above give an 404 error. I'm trying to get my Edimax adapter working on a Rpi3 running LibreELEC.

uname -a gives: Linux LibreELEC 4.9.59 #1 SMP Fri Dec 15 23:48:41 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Is it possible to update the driver for this configuration?

Thank you very much!

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:56 pm

SkywalkerPD wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:47 pm
SkywalkerPD wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 am
Will this process work on a Pi3 running LibreELEC 8.1.2? I'm using the EW-7811UTC dongle, and it doesn't work with 5Ghz AC.

At the moment I use this configuration:

echo "options 8812au rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_ips_mode=1 rtw_vht_enable=0 rtw_ht_enable=1" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/8812au.conf

And now it is stable but only on wifi N. If there is a way to enable working and stable 5Ghz AC, I really like to try that!

Thanks!
Hi MrEngman. All of the websites above give an 404 error. I'm trying to get my Edimax adapter working on a Rpi3 running LibreELEC.

uname -a gives: Linux LibreELEC 4.9.59 #1 SMP Fri Dec 15 23:48:41 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Is it possible to update the driver for this configuration?

Thank you very much!
The drivers I compile are specifically for Raspbian OS so I don't expect them to work with LibreELEC. However, as far as I'm aware there is an 8812au driver included in LibreELEC.

Quite sometime ago when I first added the EW-7811UTC to one of my Pis it only connect to the 2.4 GHz access point until I changed the wifi set up and disabled access to the 2.4GHz access point and then it connected to the 5GHz access point. After that I was able to re-enable access to the 2.4GHz access point and the EW-7811UTC still connected to the 5GHz access point. My 2.4GHz and 5GHz access points have different ssids.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

SkywalkerPD
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:35 am

MrEngman wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:56 pm
SkywalkerPD wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:47 pm
SkywalkerPD wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 am
Will this process work on a Pi3 running LibreELEC 8.1.2? I'm using the EW-7811UTC dongle, and it doesn't work with 5Ghz AC.

At the moment I use this configuration:

echo "options 8812au rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_ips_mode=1 rtw_vht_enable=0 rtw_ht_enable=1" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/8812au.conf

And now it is stable but only on wifi N. If there is a way to enable working and stable 5Ghz AC, I really like to try that!

Thanks!
Hi MrEngman. All of the websites above give an 404 error. I'm trying to get my Edimax adapter working on a Rpi3 running LibreELEC.

uname -a gives: Linux LibreELEC 4.9.59 #1 SMP Fri Dec 15 23:48:41 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Is it possible to update the driver for this configuration?

Thank you very much!
The drivers I compile are specifically for Raspbian OS so I don't expect them to work with LibreELEC. However, as far as I'm aware there is an 8812au driver included in LibreELEC.

Quite sometime ago when I first added the EW-7811UTC to one of my Pis it only connect to the 2.4 GHz access point until I changed the wifi set up and disabled access to the 2.4GHz access point and then it connected to the 5GHz access point. After that I was able to re-enable access to the 2.4GHz access point and the EW-7811UTC still connected to the 5GHz access point. My 2.4GHz and 5GHz access points have different ssids.
My wifi is working but on 5Ghz it is very unstable. So I used the options in de .conf to try to get it more stable. This works most of the time, but I experience a lot of disconnects. And after a reboot the wifi will not connect.

I found these drivers the other day, but I don't know how to upgrade the drivers on my LibreELEC installation...

https://github.com/fariouche/rtl8812AU

xyboox
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:15 am

@MrEngman could you please help me once more with this WiFi adapter? I don't have internet access from my Raspi ( is a Zero so no UTP port ) so I can't use your script to determine the build and automatic download of drivers. So I have to download them and copy them to the card and install locally.
My build is 4.9.59+ #1047 ( from uname -a ).

Thank you!

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:36 am

xyboox wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:15 am
@MrEngman could you please help me once more with this WiFi adapter? I don't have internet access from my Raspi ( is a Zero so no UTP port ) so I can't use your script to determine the build and automatic download of drivers. So I have to download them and copy them to the card and install locally.
My build is 4.9.59+ #1047 ( from uname -a ).

Thank you!
You can access the drivers on my new web site at http://downloads.fars-robotics.net using a PC with internet access. Select the link Directory of available wifi drivers and then the link 8812au-drivers and then look for the file 8812au-4.9.59-1047.tar.gz.

Download the file and copy to your SD card. Then reboot your Pi and copy the file from the /boot directory to your home directory. Then install the driver using commands

Code: Select all

tar xzf 8812au-4.9.59-1047.tar.gz
./install.sh
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

xyboox
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Thank you so much @MrEngman! Once again, it works!
QQ: if I'm to upgrade the distro, do I need to uninstall the old version of the driver ( if so, how, may I ask? ) or just install the new one and that's it?

Regards!

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:26 pm

xyboox wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:10 pm
Thank you so much @MrEngman! Once again, it works!
QQ: if I'm to upgrade the distro, do I need to uninstall the old version of the driver ( if so, how, may I ask? ) or just install the new one and that's it?

Regards!
You do not need to uninstall the old driver, just install the new one.

If you have wifi working on your Pi does it now have internet access? If it does you should be able to update the kernel and install the new version of the driver using my script directly on your Pi. No need to download the driver on another machine and copy it to the Pi.

Basically update the kernel and before rebooting you should be able to update the wifi driver and then reboot and the wifi will use the new driver.

Run the script using command

Code: Select all

./install-wifi -h
which should show you how you can do that.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

xyboox
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:30 pm

This is perfect @MrEngman. I don't know why you're doing this, but you're a goldmine to me! Thank YOU!

SkywalkerPD
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:00 pm

@MrEngman

Are you planning to create driver files for the RTL8812AU on kernel 4.9.95?

That would be very much appreciated!!

Wifi install script now tells me:

*** Raspberry Pi wifi driver installer by MrEngman.

Your current kernel revision = 4.9.95+
Your current kernel build = #1

Checking for a wifi module to determine the driver to install.

Your wifi module is Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:a812 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd

And it uses the 8812au driver.

Checking for a 8812au wifi driver module for your current kernel.
A driver does not yet exist for this update.

Thnx in advance!

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:39 pm

SkywalkerPD wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:00 pm
@MrEngman

Are you planning to create driver files for the RTL8812AU on kernel 4.9.95?

That would be very much appreciated!!

Wifi install script now tells me:

*** Raspberry Pi wifi driver installer by MrEngman.

Your current kernel revision = 4.9.95+
Your current kernel build = #1
I compile drivers for the Raspbian OS but your kernel/build indicates your OS is not Raspbian.

I would suggest you ask you question on the forum for your OS.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

SkywalkerPD
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 am

OS is Xbian which is also based on debian. Wouldn't that work?

MrEngman
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC WIFIAC NOT WORKING

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:20 am

SkywalkerPD wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 am
OS is Xbian which is also based on debian. Wouldn't that work?
I don't know if it will.

I compile the drivers using the source provided by RPF and the last kernel source for raspbian is 4.9.80 so I cannot compile the driver for 4.9.95 anyway.

I had a look on the Xbian forum and found a post that suggested the 8812au driver was added to Xbian a couple of years ago. I am downloading Xbian at the moment and will have a look at it.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “Troubleshooting”