gravecad1

pi sound

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:29 am

Hi

I am not getting sound out of my raspberry pi computer. Could any one tell me how to get sound out of it?
thanks.

redhawk

Re: pi sound

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:34 am

The PI support audio via HDMI or the headphones jack but this pretty much depend on the software you are using.

What program are you using for audio??

Richard S.

gravecad1

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:59 am

HI

none at all at the moment can you recommend one?
Thanks

INeedMySpace

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:13 pm

As Wiki suggest, use
sudo amixer cset numid=3 1 - to switch sound output to headphones
0 - auto
1 - headphones
2 - hdmi

gravecad1

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:23 pm

HI

I have tryed these and found sudo aplay.../Front_Center.wav sounds like a womens voice, for a second.
The speakers are brand new and working. I think i need to download javaScript .
How do i load JavaScript onto the raspberry pi?
thanks.

INeedMySpace

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:03 am

For me too aplay wasn't playing good (don't know why). Also I tried qmmp with the choped sound result. But lxmusic does it well - try it.

gravecad1

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi

Nothing happens. Just software doing nothing.
How do i load javascript onto a raspberry pi. Is it easy to load it onto a pi. I want to listen to the radio with my raspberry pi; radio 3.
thanks.

gravecad1

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi,

How do i load javascript onto a raspberry pi computer?

toppenkillen

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:38 pm

I have problems with getting sound through HDMI. I've googled and read and tried most of the stuff I've come across (for instance http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... MI_monitor), but no (complete) success.

From start, I got full-HD image on my (Samsung) tv. Even so, I've played around with most of the /boot/config.txt parameters to get sound. (Could change resolution etc, but no sound.)

I do get sound through the headphone jack, for instance when playing movies or mp3 files with omxplayer. Fiddled with the "sudo amixer cset numid=3 2" to force the sound to HDMI but no change.

I *DO* get sound through HDMI after having compiled the hello_audio (the annoying sinus sound) so *something* works, but I read somewhere that hello_audio bypasses the ALSA drivers and goes more or less directly on the HW. This would explain why the amixer setting fails, i.e. ALSA doesn't work properly for me.

Any ideas? Anyone more than me that is in the same spot as me?

PaulCheffus

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:23 am

toppenkillen wrote:I have problems with getting sound through HDMI. I've googled and read and tried most of the stuff I've come across (for instance http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... MI_monitor), but no (complete) success.

From start, I got full-HD image on my (Samsung) tv. Even so, I've played around with most of the /boot/config.txt parameters to get sound. (Could change resolution etc, but no sound.)

I do get sound through the headphone jack, for instance when playing movies or mp3 files with omxplayer. Fiddled with the "sudo amixer cset numid=3 2" to force the sound to HDMI but no change.

I *DO* get sound through HDMI after having compiled the hello_audio (the annoying sinus sound) so *something* works, but I read somewhere that hello_audio bypasses the ALSA drivers and goes more or less directly on the HW. This would explain why the amixer setting fails, i.e. ALSA doesn't work properly for me.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with a Panasonic Viera TV. Dom suggested trying a longer .wav file so I got a 1.2MB one from my PC and after about 1.5 seconds I got sound. There appears to be an issue with the sound driver not playing the first second or so of the audio.

I also have a similar issue in Scratch where the first sample I try won't play but subsequent ones will like the HDMI needs waking up by the sound driver.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

toppenkillen

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:14 pm

PaulCheffus wrote:
toppenkillen wrote:I have problems with getting sound through HDMI. I've googled and read and tried most of the stuff I've come across (for instance http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... MI_monitor), but no (complete) success.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with a Panasonic Viera TV. Dom suggested trying a longer .wav file so I got a 1.2MB one from my PC and after about 1.5 seconds I got sound. There appears to be an issue with the sound driver not playing the first second or so of the audio.

I also have a similar issue in Scratch where the first sample I try won't play but subsequent ones will like the HDMI needs waking up by the sound driver.

Cheers

Paul
Hmm, I tried a large wav file (e.g. took a song ripped from a CD) and that played just fine over HDMI using aplay. Then tried it with omxplayer - no success. Tried a mp3 file with aplay, but its printout said that it just played it as a "Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono" sound clip so clearly it didn't understood it was a mp3, but I did hear a short "pop/click" sound in the tv indicating that something was sent over the HDMI.

Think that my problem boils down to that I don't have proper codecs in aplay. Will google that a bit and hope that somehow makes omxplayer happy as well.

omxplayer is from what I understand somewhat the "preferred" audio/video player for RPi thanks to its HW-acced video (or?).

Can anyone give input regarding codecs to install and/or which mediaplayer that is "best" for RPi?

Thanks

Return to “Troubleshooting”