Good guy

won't boot with missing usb-hdd

Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi all,

I have a simple problem I cannot solve by myself. I'm running Debian on a raspberry pi 2, and have the /home added with fstab) placed on an external USB drive with its own power supply. Normally everything works fine, including rebooting.

But approx once a month I have power outage which is causing issues. Without the usb drive it world's fine, but not with it. The explanation to this, I think is that the usb has a push bottom to power it up, hence after a power outage the usb drive doesn't power up, which causes my raspberry not to boot. Is it possible to make the raspberry boot without /home/*, until I manage to go down in the cellar to power up the usb drive?

flubbard

Re: won't boot with missing usb-hdd

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:39 pm

I would expect that you normally need the home directory present. Is there some reason why you want the entire home directory on a separate, somewhat unreliable external drive.

Alternatively, you could mount the external drive in a directory under your home user (i.e. /home/pi/data ).

Just some thoughts.

- Barry

Good guy

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Hmm, not shore it's due to that it's mounted on /home, I thought it was due to that it's mounted with fstab. But I will not be shore until I try. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I've put the entire /home too get all current and new users on this drive, which is needed since it has more space than what I can get on a mini sd that is the root system.

jmmec

Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:58 am

You might want to try adding "nofail" to your /etc/fstab entry for you device. For example:
LABEL=CvMedia /media/nfs ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime,nodiratime 0 0

Good guy

Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Thanks,

Change the mount point didn't work. But, adding "nofail" in the fstab did the trick. Thanks for the support :-)

kartoon

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:37 pm

I have 2 RPI2s and both have /boot on the SD card but / on USB drive. SD cards are less reliable when it comes to the frequent read/writes an OS has. I think having /home on a USB drive makes complete sense as long as the drive is a spinning disk or SSD, especially so if you're logging into it frequently. The upside is also being able to mirror / (or home) back to the remainder of the SD card once a month via cron in case of disk failure.

Return to “Troubleshooting”