flipper33

pi zero overheats

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:02 am

my raspberry pi zero gets so hot it will not even boot, and since their is no way to fit a water cooling or even an air cooled solution to it, have i been sent a faulty unit, i`ve tried emailing but i have not got a responce yet, it was one of those that came with the magpie magazine, someone in another post stated that all pi`s are tested in the factory, this one clearly wasn`t tested i own 4 other pi`s, only this one has this problem, are there any options other than sending it back if they bother to get in touch with me.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Re: pi zero overheats

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:07 am

Pi's are rated to 80C so if you're unit is getting so hot it wont boot, then you have a defective unit. Operational Pi's don't need any additional cooling...
Account Inactive

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:18 am

flipper33 wrote:my raspberry pi zero gets so hot it will not even boot, and since their is no way to fit a water cooling or even an air cooled solution to it, have i been sent a faulty unit, i`ve tried emailing but i have not got a responce yet, it was one of those that came with the magpie magazine, someone in another post stated that all pi`s are tested in the factory, this one clearly wasn`t tested i own 4 other pi`s, only this one has this problem, are there any options other than sending it back if they bother to get in touch with me.
They are all tested in the factory, but testing cannot find every fault - in this case, the fault only appears after the device has warmed up, and testing in the factory is much quicker than that (cannot make 10's of thousands per week if you take too long in testing).

So, back to the Pi - does it boot correctly when cold? If so, then dies as it warms up, then it may well be faulty (it may be the first one to actually be faulty! So far all returns have actually worked). I am not sure of the return process for the ones given away on the MagPi. I'll flag this thread up to the Foundation to see if anyone knows.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

flipper33

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:20 am

i have done some more testing with my pi zero, and it still won`t power up, i can`t even get the green led to light up, the magpie magazine says not to plug the power lead in the usb on the pi zero, so far i have not even tried it, but some sources online say it`s ok to do that, which info is correct the magazine or youtube, the testing i`ve done is with yzx studio power meter, the usb from my pc was only putting out 4.2 volts over usb, so i tried the zero on a power bank putting out 4.92 volts, its enough to power the zero isn`t it my other pi`s work fine with it, i`ve also downloaded and installed the latest noobs 1.5 from this site on a card i know works, and i`m using a 7 inch hdmi screen that i also know works, the zero draws about 520 milli amps yet my pi b+ only draws 170 milli amps, how much power is the zero suppose to draw, i intend to run one in a quadcopter so power is a major factor for me, the last thing i noticed was that although the led isn`t lit, the led in the usb dongle does light and flash, thanks for telling me about how hot they get i was going to stick it onto the battery pack, now i know not too.

jamesh

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:46 am

Under normal use the Soc will get fairly warm, but not not. Many people have given figures for what temps they get to, that 85 above is incredibly rare, and only in extreme conditions.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Troubleshooting”