fabio199618

Strange wifi issues!

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:15 pm

Good morning/evening to everyone!

I recently bought a raspberry pi 2 along with a pre-imaged NOOBS microsd.
I am a newbie, so i don't know anything about Linux and so, but I would like to learn something, so I purchased the Pi.

After succesfully installing raspbian, I found I wasn't able to connect to wifi (Router zyxel p600 series) by using the edimax n150 wifi adapter.
The network has been recognized by the adapter, but every time I try to connect, after inserting password, the blue light on the adapter turns off.
At first i thought i had missed something during setup, or that i didn' turn on some options, so i checked every possible option but i didn't find anything. Then i thought i had probabily been inserting the wrong password for my network, so i checked it 4 times, but nothing. Then i tried to connect with my galaxy s2 using it as a router, and it worked! I followed the tutorial about wifi issues on the forum and i renamed some lines with terminal, in order to activate auto connection to wifi, but nothing.
I also thought my microsd could have been imaged with an older version of raspbian, so i downloaded again NOOBS installing package from the official site, I cleaned up the sd and re- installed raspbian. With no results.

Nothing works and i don't really know what to do... any suggestions?

Thanks a lot! :D

Shea

Re: Strange wifi issues!

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:27 pm

The problem seems to be power related. make sure you have a power supply which can more than 1.2 amps of current, and add "max_usb_current=1" to /boot/config.txt.
If you already did that, then describe your hardware, and software setup. Try Jessie lite, and see how it goes...

fabio199618

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:13 pm

Thank you very much for the help you provided, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

First of all, i have to say i'm using the official RasPi power supply (5V 2000mAh), so i think the problem is not power related.

I tried to add max_usb_current=1, but it didn't change anything. I also installed Jessie Lite, with no results.

I'll give more hardware specifics just in case it's needed.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi model 2 with the official power supply.
MicroSD 8 gb imaged with raspbian Jessie (no lite).
My adapter is the Edimax N150 wi-fi nano usb adapter: http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandis ... /ew-7811un

The router i'm trying to connect with is the Zyxel p660hw: however i don't think it's important, because i tried to connect with another router ( i don't know the model) and it didn't work either...

Ethernet cable with that router works fine, phone used as a router also works well.

Thanks in advance!

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:28 pm

fabio199618 wrote:Thank you very much for the help you provided, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

First of all, i have to say i'm using the official RasPi power supply (5V 2000mAh), so i think the problem is not power related.

I tried to add max_usb_current=1, but it didn't change anything. I also installed Jessie Lite, with no results.

I'll give more hardware specifics just in case it's needed.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi model 2 with the official power supply.
MicroSD 8 gb imaged with raspbian Jessie (no lite).
My adapter is the Edimax N150 wi-fi nano usb adapter: http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandis ... /ew-7811un

The router i'm trying to connect with is the Zyxel p660hw: however i don't think it's important, because i tried to connect with another router ( i don't know the model) and it didn't work either...

Ethernet cable with that router works fine, phone used as a router also works well.

Thanks in advance!
Plug the adapter into the RPi and post the output of:

uname -a

lsusb

Post the results in code tags, thank you.....
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

fabio199618

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks for the patience!

Here are the results of uname a

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 4.1.13-v7+ #826 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 13 20:19:03 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
These are the results of lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0b38:0010 Gear Head 107-Key Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

fabio199618

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Update: I tried installing openElec and wifi works just fine, maybe the problem was Raspbian-Related...

Any suggestions?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:07 pm

I have an Edimax 7318Ug working on a Pi2 using the latest Raspbian. It worked straight away with no problem. The router is a Netgear R7000.
I have had the impression in the past that this WiFi adapter might be power-hungry, it didn't like being used on an unpowered hub hung off a Windows Laptop, but I haven't had to use that max_usb_current config line, so maybe not.

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501/RT2573 Wireless Adapter
So it's not the same.

dgordon42

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:12 pm

The Edimax 7811Un works well with Raspbian without having to make any changes to the default /etc/network/interfaces file.
You do need to tell the Pi your WiFi's SSID and Password, and you can do this using the Network icon on the top left of the GUI, or you can add the details to the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file. This file is owned by root, so use something like

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
to edit it, and make it look like:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="Your WiFi SSID"
        psk="Your WiFi Password"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
The /etc/network/interfaces file should be the default version, and should look like this:

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Please note that this file is written to be used with dhcpcd
# For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and 'man dhcpcd.conf'

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
The Edimax 7811 tends to 'fall asleep' when not in use on the Pi, and this can lead to the kind of problems you describe in your original post. To prevent this, create the file:

/etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf
with permissions:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  86 Oct 17 16:00 8192cu.conf
containing the lines:

# Disable Edimax 7811 WiFi Dongle power management
options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
Hope this helps,

Dave.

fabio199618

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Thanks a lot for your help Dave!

Unfortunately, there is a little problem.

I don't know how to set permissions.

I created the file using sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192.conf

I wrote the lines you suggested, but nothing has happened...

Any advice?

DirkS

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:14 pm

fabio199618 wrote:I created the file using sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192.conf

Any advice?
Reboot and wait to see if it solves your problem...

dgordon42

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:44 pm

DirkS is right, reboot after making changes.

When you say
what do you mean?
Does the blue LED in the Edimax 7811 stop flashing when you try to connect to a network, as you reported in your original post?

Can you confirm that you are using Raspbian Jessie by checking the contents of the /etc/os-release file.

Thanks,
Dave.

fabio199618

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:54 pm

When i say "i wrote the lines you suggested, but nothing has happened" i mean I wrote

# Disable Edimax 7811 WiFi Dongle power management
options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
in that file, as you said, (after editing wpa_supplicant.conf and double-checking interfaces was in "default" state) then i did the reboot, but nothing particular happens. Usb still stops flashing. As it regards the Os, i'm pretty sure i'm using Jessie, because i downloaded it from the official site and burned it to my sd using win32 disk imager. The fact is that the adapter does its work perfectly if i'm trying to connect to a tethering router (e.g. my galaxy s2 used as a router) and if i use OpenElec, there is no problem.

Thanks for the patience, i'm really sorry to bother you all :(

dgordon42

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:58 pm

@fabio199618'

Earlier in the thread you posted
Disconnect the Ethernet cable, reboot, and try the WiFi.
Raspbian, by default, runs a daemon which prevents both wired and wireless networks running together.

Dave.

fabio199618

Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Okay, i know i have been probably a little confusionary, so i'll try to be more precise and i'll describe my situation in every possible detail, so please excuse me if i'll take too long.

1) I downloaded raspbian jessie from here Image and i wrote it in my 8gb sd card using win32 disk imager.

2) I started my Raspi with success and desktop loaded without problems: wifi adapter flashes one time per second.

3) I tried first time to insert password on my net Image and Image

4) Wifi adapter stops flashing and this happens: Image . Nothing!

5) I Open Browser and obviously it does not work Image

6) I try to connect using network management (wlan0) this way: Image and Image, however i get the same problem as before.

7) I try using Dave's fix Image i first run lsusb and uname-a in order to check everything is right

8) At this point, wifi adapter has stopped flashing every second and flashes every 7-8 seconds

9) Then i open wpa_supplicant.conf with nano and i start editing it Image

10) I rename this: Image into this: Image and i double-check internet/interfaces is in "standard" state: Image and Image

11) Reboot: Wifi adapter is flashing 1 time per second: however, internet still doesn't work.I go with the last part of the fix: power management.

12) Image I create the file using "touch" and i check permissions: all o-k.

13) I edit the file using nano Image , then save.

14) Another reboot: now the wi fi adapter doesn't even flash.

I DID NOT use Ethernet AND Wifi at the same time, i first tried using only ethernet, then only wi-fi. If i use ONLY ethernet, it works.
If i use ONLY Wifi, it doesn't work. If i turn my phone into a router via thethering, it works fine, if i use another OS, like openElec, for example, it works.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the inconveniet, but, as I said, i'm a total noob

dgordon42

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm

I'm still looking at this but, I'm wondering if your WiFi password has got any odd characters, such as @#<>"'¬`, etc. in it. If it does, try temporarily changing it in your router to something simple, like 12345, enter the new password into wpa_supplicant.conf, as you have been doing, reboot, and see what happens.

I have never seen the two network error icons at the top right of your screen shots of the Pi's desktop, I'm trying to reproduce them on my Pi at the moment.
I can confirm that an incorrect WiFi password will cause the Edimax blue LED to stop flashing after if fails to connect.

Dave.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:39 pm

Open an LXterminal window

Check in there that you've got your WiFi SSID and psk correct.

If your network doesn't use WPA/WPA2 security then you have some extra stuff to do.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

fabio199618

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:44 pm

My router password doesn't have any particular characters, just numbers, and i can assure i typed those characters right!

I checked password 4 times! :lol:

fabio199618

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:47 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Open an LXterminal window

If your network doesn't use WPA/WPA2 security then you have some extra stuff to do.
Good afternoon and thanks for the advice!

My network uses WEP security, what's the extra stuff i need to do?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:50 pm

fabio199618 wrote:

Any reason for still using WEP ? WPA is far more secure and nowadays the de-facto standard in Home Routers ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

fabio199618

Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:00 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
fabio199618 wrote:

Any reason for still using WEP ? WPA is far more secure and nowadays the de-facto standard in Home Routers ;)
You are right, but I'm Italian, standards don't apply to us :)

MrEngman

Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:09 pm

fabio199618 wrote:

Change file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf so it looks like

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
       ssid="network-name"
       key_mgmt=NONE
       auth_alg=OPEN
       wep_key0=WEP-hex-key
}
WEP-hex-key is the 10 or 26 hex character key, depending on the version of WEP, with NO quotation marks around it.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:16 pm

fabio199618 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: Any reason for still using WEP ? WPA is far more secure and nowadays the de-facto standard in Home Routers ;)
You are right, but I'm Italian, standards don't apply to us :)
That's not true. The Italians were the reason I had to change my IBM passwords every ninety days when I worked for IBM United Kingdom Ltd. Due to your Government's half baked security standards (93 days would have been so much easier).

You can crack a WEP network in less than five minutes.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

fabio199618

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Thank you so much! Unfortunately it didn't work out...
I'm clueless...

dgordon42

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:02 pm

When you say
Unfortunately it didn't work out...
I take it you are referring to @MrEngman's post of a sample wpa_supplicant.conf file above, suitable for use with WEP WiFi security.
If so, try changing the line

auth_alg=OPEN
in MrEngman's example to

auth_alg=SHARED
Have you got anything else running on your WiFi?

Thanks,
Dave.

Paulwood

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Shea wrote:The problem seems to be power related. make sure you have a power supply which can more than 1.2 amps of current, and add "max_usb_current=1" to /boot/config.txt.
If you already did that, then describe your hardware, and software setup. Try Jessie lite, and see how it goes...
Thank you @Shea - I've been going crazy - I have a model A+ that was running fine using node-red. I had to upgrde becasue one of the nodes I was using (openweathermap) started requiring an API key which ment upgrading etc.

So I upgraded to Jessie lite and couldn't connect. If I used a hub, the WiFi dongle worked fine but in the Pi it would not connect. Same power supply, wifi dongle, SD card, and pi - the main thing that changed was I upgraded to Jessie.

Now, after adding "max_usb_current=1" to /boot/config.txt - it now works!

So my take is that Jessie has done something to effect the power to the usb port

----------------------
arugh - spoke too soon. Left it alone for a little bit and ssh got disconnected and now I'm getting a 'host is down' message. sigh...WiFi dongle blinks 11 times, 3 second break and it repeats.

pulled the wifi dongle (edimax) out, plugged in the powered usb hub, stuck the wifi dongle in it and everyghint works - without rebooting....sigh

Return to “Troubleshooting”