nicifer

Sound playback: clicking noise

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:00 pm

I hear a clicking noise when playing sound files on my Raspberry Pi.
I'm using mplayer with mp3/flac files (which play well on other devices), and headphones in the analog jack plug.
Packages installed for sound setup: mplayer alsa-base alsa-utils pulseaudio mpg123.
Is there anything I could try to fix this?
Thank you for your help!

obcd

Re: Sound playback: clicking noise

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:23 pm

The analog audio out wasn't designed to drive low impedance devices like headphones. It's a line-out that can be used to connect active pc speakers or a stereo amplifier.
Besides that, there are issues with the alsa sound driver that are responsible for the clicking. The audio is generated by a PWM output. At startup, there is a transient that causes the click. I know there has been work done to reduce that as much as possible. If you read trough the postings, you will find other topics about the issue. I would try to connect the output to an amplifier or to amplified speakers and see if that makes a difference. I don't know if the latest patches for that made it already to the distributions.

jdbennet

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:17 pm

obcd wrote:The analog audio out wasn't designed to drive low impedance devices like headphones. It's a line-out that can be used to connect active pc speakers or a stereo amplifier.
Besides that, there are issues with the alsa sound driver that are responsible for the clicking. The audio is generated by a PWM output. At startup, there is a transient that causes the click. I know there has been work done to reduce that as much as possible. If you read trough the postings, you will find other topics about the issue. I would try to connect the output to an amplifier or to amplified speakers and see if that makes a difference. I don't know if the latest patches for that made it already to the distributions.
I run it through a hi fi amp and its still crappy...

nicifer

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:59 pm

I tried an amplifier, but still I hear the noise. If I turn the volume down, the 'clicks' disappear but there is another kind of noise!
Some posts say it's a (cheap) hardware issue... I'll try a USB sound card or the HDMI output then :)

obcd

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 pm

I hope it's an issue they can fix by leaving the pwm signals that generate the audio signals on all time, so that there is no dc offset and transient behavour anymore. It will make the pi current consumption a little higher, but not really that much.

Return to “Troubleshooting”