swizzard

Failure to boot/output to SDTV after firmware update

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Twice now I've properly copied the Raspbian img to my SD card along with the necessary files to install support for my USB wifi adapter. Everything works fine through the firmware update that it suggests you do after you establish an internet connection, up until the point where it reboots. After that, the red and green LEDs blink away, but apparently there's no SDTV output, where there was a few minutes ago. I can "fix" the problem by wiping the SD card and reinstalling a fresh Raspbian img, but I'd rather not be permanently behind, updates-wise (that is to say, I'd rather not have to treat my RasPi like a cracked iPhone...)

I tried messing around with the sdtv_mode settings in the config file, to no avail. Is there some option I'm missing? I don't have an HDMI-compatible monitor in my house, so I've no way of testing if that's outputting video. I've even booted the thing without any USB devices attached.

I'm confused and a bit irritated...it's going to be kind of difficult to actually use my device if I have to keep wiping the SD card every few hours/days/months.

Halp?

ETA: I'm getting consistent groups of 6 OK LED flashes. Based on http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 09#p123709, it seems that there might have been some problem flushing the updates to the SD card? I'm gonna re-do everything and see if there's a "better" way to reboot after installing all the firmware updates. Wish me luck; I have very little idea what I'm doing.

PaulCheffus

Re: Failure to boot/output to SDTV after firmware update

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

swizzard wrote:Twice now I've properly copied the Raspbian img to my SD card along with the necessary files to install support for my USB wifi adapter. Everything works fine through the firmware update that it suggests you do after you establish an internet connection, up until the point where it reboots. After that, the red and green LEDs blink away, but apparently there's no SDTV output, where there was a few minutes ago. I can "fix" the problem by wiping the SD card and reinstalling a fresh Raspbian img, but I'd rather not be permanently behind, updates-wise (that is to say, I'd rather not have to treat my RasPi like a cracked iPhone...)

I tried messing around with the sdtv_mode settings in the config file, to no avail. Is there some option I'm missing? I don't have an HDMI-compatible monitor in my house, so I've no way of testing if that's outputting video. I've even booted the thing without any USB devices attached.

I'm confused and a bit irritated...it's going to be kind of difficult to actually use my device if I have to keep wiping the SD card every few hours/days/months.

Halp?

ETA: I'm getting consistent groups of 6 OK LED flashes. Based on http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 09#p123709, it seems that there might have been some problem flushing the updates to the SD card? I'm gonna re-do everything and see if there's a "better" way to reboot after installing all the firmware updates. Wish me luck; I have very little idea what I'm doing.
Hi

I had the same problem. When I updated the image on my Transcend card it wouldn't boot but my Kingston cards updated ok. I just copied the boot partition from the Kingston card to the Transcend one and then it was fine.

From memory the firmware revision file reported that it was 0 bytes in size on the corrupted image.

After you have done the update you could try replacing the boot files manually from here
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... re_version

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Return to “Troubleshooting”