fruitoftheloom

Re: Having a USB hub challenge with Pi Zero

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 am

johnzbesko wrote:
As stated earlier you can not compare USB compatibility between the models with a LAN9512/4 and the ones without, though my Belkin Hub has no issues with the ZERO.
So, my old raspberry (2011.12), after the update procedure, now recognizes the Atmel hub, but when I boot this micro sd in the zero, it doesn't work. After getting the zero for free, I've purchased a mini-hdmi to hdmi cable, a 3,0 powered usb hub and a female to female hdmi adaptor (so I can use an old monitor), and I still can't do anything useful with the zero. Reminds me of trying to print from Red Hat Linux in 1999.

Short of throwing more money at it, what should I do?
Yes it seems that many posters are having issues, unfortunately out of suggestions. The USB Hub I have is a Belkin F5U234 4Port with a 2.6A PSU and has worked with RPi 1B original 256mb, RPi 1B 512mb, Rpi 1B+, RPi 2B and Zero with various OSes:
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

rpdom

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:57 am

johnzbesko wrote:
As stated earlier you can not compare USB compatibility between the models with a LAN9512/4 and the ones without, though my Belkin Hub has no issues with the ZERO.
So, my old raspberry (2011.12), after the update procedure, now recognizes the Atmel hub, but when I boot this micro sd in the zero, it doesn't work. After getting the zero for free, I've purchased a mini-hdmi to hdmi cable, a 3,0 powered usb hub and a female to female hdmi adaptor (so I can use an old monitor), and I still can't do anything useful with the zero. Reminds me of trying to print from Red Hat Linux in 1999.

Get a cheap USB2.0 hub and put it between the Zero and your USB3.0 powered hub. It doesn't even need to be a powered one unless you want to plug power-hungry peripherals into that one as well.

The single USB port on the Broadcom chip is known to have problems talking directly to some USB3.0 devices. That isn't a problem on the Pi B range as they have a USB2.0 hub on board to drive the USB sockets. On the A and Zero range the single USB socket is connected directly to the Broadcom chip.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:06 am

rpdom wrote:
johnzbesko wrote:

Get a cheap USB2.0 hub and put it between the Zero and your USB3.0 powered hub. It doesn't even need to be a powered one unless you want to plug power-hungry peripherals into that one as well.

The single USB port on the Broadcom chip is known to have problems talking directly to some USB3.0 devices. That isn't a problem on the Pi B range as they have a USB2.0 hub on board to drive the USB sockets. On the A and Zero range the single USB socket is connected directly to the Broadcom chip.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... nownissues
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

johnzbesko

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Perhaps I wasn't clear- the Atmel hub is a cheap usb 2.0 non-powered hub. The update procedure described earlier in this post allows me to use the hub with an old model Raspberry (2011.12), but when I swap and boot the zero with the same sd card, the zero does not recognize the hub. Something must be different between the old raspberry and the zero. I have not tried the daisy chain approach with the powered and non-powered hubs. Currently, I am plugging the powered hub into one port and the cheap hub into the other.

My comment about Red Hat Linux in 1999 was about how I had to compile drivers for the kernel to get certain devices to work. I'm not quite sure that solution would work here since the current firmware works on the old pi but not on the zero.

The hub issue is a prelude to my next step- getting an ethernet connection whether by wifi or usb wired ethernet dongle. At the least, I would like to ssh in and use the command line to, say, run apt-get update.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:41 pm

""Currently, I am plugging the powered hub into one port and the cheap hub into the other."" :? :?

The RPi ZERO only has ONE USB DATA PORT

http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... ry-pi-zero

johnzbesko

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:52 am

The powered hub is connected the the power usb port and the 2.0 non-powered hub is plugged into the data port- and is not recognised. I did find an old "Y" shaped usb to double PS/2 adapter, and using an old PS/2 mouse and keyboard, I'm now able to interact with the pi zero. My next problem is ethernet connectivity.

My goal is creating a device for controlling my home brewery: two thermistor sensors controlling a heating element, a digital input flowmeter and possible analog pH meter, while using my android phone to "see" temperature plots and set a desired temperature. I already have an arduino that does so, connected to a netbook and also have an ESP8266 that sort of accomplishes my goal.

What's the best way to connect the zero to the internet?

karrika

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:38 am

In my limited experience the best way is to use enc28j60 with SPI for Ethernet and USB-2 for a HUB.

<shameless plug on>
Something like Miscap? http://discohat.com/miscap/
<shameless plug off>

The HUB part of the Fuj;Tech combo works perfectly wit PiZero. But the Ethernet part works very well for 30 minutes. Then it gets a ifup command from somewhere and stops working (AX88772). Removing and inserting the Ethernet module restores the functionality for the next 30 minutes.
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product ... netsovitin

Or you have to pick your USB-Ethernet module very well. Avoid the known bad solutions like ASIX AX88772, DM9601 based designs and USB-3 HUB's because they don't work with keyboards and mice.

ds18s20

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:25 pm

I got one for six bucks or so and it works like a charm! Should have done this first instead of trying to get all my hubs that I had laying around working:

Conjur

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:15 pm

Interim solution: connect via the UART header, with the WiFi dongle plugged in to the USB port.

digger72

Sun May 29, 2016 5:20 pm

Check out HubPiWi - It integrates a USB Hub and a Wii in a small board that requires no wire, cable or connector.

The kickstarter pledge has ended but you can pre order.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... o-cable-c/

Return to “Troubleshooting”