jonnoGT

Slow response to everything through LXDE

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Hello,

I am having problems with the response times to do pretty much anything under LXDE.
I'm using the Raspbain Wheezy image.

Everything works great when I boot up. I can do normal Linux type stuff, I can ping google and get a normal response etc.
But when I start up LXDE and try to do anything it is horribly slow.
For example - if I start a terminal and type ifconfig from within LXDE it takes maybe 30 seconds to return the results. If I try and ping google.co.uk the ping works but it takes maybe 20 seconds for each response to be displayed on the screen.
The midori browser doesn't work at all, it times out all the time. and the netsurf browser is painfully slow, taking about 2 mins to load the google home page.

Any ideas?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Slow response to everything through LXDE

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:36 pm

If you type "dmesg" are there errors continually being added?
Probably a lack or power, or incompatible (e.g. more than 100mA) USB devices. Does ping response improve after unplugging USB devices?
Can you measure voltage between TP1 and TP2.
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems

dustbuster

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:13 am

dom,
I just booted up the Pi today. Boot proceeds nicely but I was disappointed to see how glacially slow all GUI functions work.

I am using the SD card purchased with the OS pre-installed.

I am using a 1.5A supply and the voltage at the PS output is stable. There seems to be a significant voltage drop across the micro USB cable (I tried 2 different cables) of ~0.4 V. However voltage out of the regulator, RG2 was 3.35 - 3.36 V which would seem acceptable.

Concurrent with slow operation I see the "CPU" function meter at the lower RH corner of the screen registering an almost constant 100% so I suspect a software rather than a PS issue.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

jonnoGT

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:46 am

Dom, thanks for the hints -

I tried it without my USB hub and it works fine, so I guess that is the culprit.
Checked on here and yes, I've got a naughty hub - http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... d_USB_Hubs

Thanks a lot

hibol

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:42 am

Hi,
I found this topic by chance, and it appears that I have the same problem with my hub too.
Mine is a USB2 CNMEMORY Zinc 4-Port, and is neither on the list of working peripherals or the non-working...
I guess I have to buy a new one which is verified...

Montala

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Those of you who are looking to buy a 'verified' powered USB hub, should be aware that a lot of the models shown on the 'wiki' list were added in the early days, before people started adding such things as Wi-Fi adapters and hard drives to their RasPi's.

The Newlink NLUSB2-224P 4 port USB 2.0 Mini hub for example, only comes with a 1 Amp PSU which is not really powerful enough to supply a heavily loaded hub... especially if it is to be used to supply the RasPi as well, which is a very popular way of doing things now.

hibol

Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Actually I just found out that my problem was not my hub itself, but the fact that it doesn't support low-speed and high-speed peripherals to be plugged together.
So when I only plug my dongle, everything is perfect, but if I add my mouse, LXDE becomes slow again.
It means that for the moment I can't have a mouse and a keyboard plugged at the same time. :lol:
But I am really happy that everything else is working now, as I spent all my weekend to understand. :D

Hiro

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Similar problem here, Trust 10 port powered usb 2.0 hub even with just the mouse plugged into it (keyboard in other Pi usb socket) makes X extremely slow and will not recognise mouse. Guess i should have read the verified peripherals page before shelling out:(.

drgeoff

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:03 pm

hibol wrote:Actually I just found out that my problem was not my hub itself, but the fact that it doesn't support low-speed and high-speed peripherals to be plugged together.
There have been many posts about this and my understanding is that this behaviour can be attributed to the RPi rather than the hub. Time will tell if an improved USB driver can provide a fix.

hibol

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Ok, thank you for the information.
Then I will wait, because I an mot the one able to solve this problem ;)

Montala

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:23 pm

hibol wrote:Actually I just found out that my problem was not my hub itself, but the fact that it doesn't support low-speed and high-speed peripherals to be plugged together.
So when I only plug my dongle, everything is perfect, but if I add my mouse, LXDE becomes slow again.
It means that for the moment I can't have a mouse and a keyboard plugged at the same time. :lol:
But I am really happy that everything else is working now, as I spent all my weekend to understand. :D
This does seem to be a problem which a lot of users are experiencing.

Would it help if (say) the Wi-Fi dongle was plugged into a powered hub, and the one for the keyboard/mouse directly into the other USB socket on the Pi itself?... or as they are both effectively coming from the same source wouldn't it actually make any difference?

I suppose another (hopefully temporary) solution, which has been mentioned elsewhere, is to use a Wi-Fi bridge, connected to the network port, for internet access.

Return to “Troubleshooting”