dudus

error mounting NTFS-drive

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi all,

For a couple of months now, I've been using the PI2 with Debian. I had a 2.5TB disk connected through usb, which contains two NTFS partitions (can't have anything over 2TB). These two partitions always automatically mounted without any problems. Two folders would appear in /media/ which led to the partitions.

Since my micro-sd started acting up, I decided to switch it for a new one. I still had an image from a few months back and dumped that on the new sd.

Now when I attach the disk, I can very briefly see the two folders popup in /media/, but after that they disapear and I get the following error dialog (twice, probalby one for each partition).

Code: Select all

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 21: libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod.c:554 kmod_search_moddep: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.18.7-v7+/modules.dep.bin'
fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
Which sort of makes sense, because when I check /lib/modules/ I only see these folders: 3.18.11+ 3.18.11-v7+ 4.1.13+ 4.1.13-v7+

I've also tried another thumbdrive and formatted it to NTFS, same error. ext4 drive doesn't give any trouble.

So what can I do about this?
I've tried upgrading with apt-get, updating the kernel with sudo rpi-update.

Please help :)

EDIT:
Major clue I left out, sorry!
I had real trouble getting the image on my new SD (few MB's short) so after trying and failed with serveral methods, I ended up installing a fresh NOOBS image, walked through the first install steps and then wrote my backup ROOT partition from image to the new sd.

rpdom

Re: error mounting NTFS-drive

Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:52 pm

You have a mismatch between the kernel version in your /boot directory and the kernel modules in /lib/modules/
Because of that, the kernel can't load its NTFS driver.

You could try reinstalling the kernel and modules package. For Raspbian that would be the raspberrypi-bootloader package. You can force a reload of it with

sudo apt-get update ;# (just to make sure the software package indexes are up to date)
sudo apt-get --reinstall install raspberrypi-bootloader
then reboot and the versions should match up again.

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:08 pm

rpdom wrote:You have a mismatch between the kernel version in your /boot directory and the kernel modules in /lib/modules/
This is a case where running sudo rpi-update && sudo reboot is probably faster and more likely to get a matching kernel and /lib/modules/4.1.13+ or /lib/modules/4.1.13-v7+

4.1.13 #826 is running on six of my RPis without any problems.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

dllahr

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 am

I had this error message using modprobe to load the iso9660 filesystem and reinstalling the raspberrypi-bootloader fixed the problem. Thank you!
rpdom wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:52 pm
You have a mismatch between the kernel version in your /boot directory and the kernel modules in /lib/modules/

You could try reinstalling the kernel and modules package. For Raspbian that would be the raspberrypi-bootloader package. You can force a reload of it with

sudo apt-get update ;# (just to make sure the software package indexes are up to date)
sudo apt-get --reinstall install raspberrypi-bootloader
then reboot and the versions should match up again.

Return to “Troubleshooting”