mjflynt

Clozure 1.10

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Has anyone successfully installed Clozure 1.10 on Raspbian on a Raspi 2B? I found instructions to do this in several places on the net, and many more for Clozure 1.9. When I try these along with variations on the theme I result in a segmentation fault but no specific error. Being rather new to all this, I expect there is probably a log file, but I don't know where to look. It seems to work up to the point where I "make" the executable using "hard floats" following instructions similar (and including) to those found here: http://lispm.de/ccl#t106 but after running it, it crashes.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Clozure 1.10

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:46 pm

mjflynt wrote:Has anyone successfully installed Clozure 1.10 on Raspbian on a Raspi 2B? I found instructions to do this in several places on the net, and many more for Clozure 1.9. When I try these along with variations on the theme I result in a segmentation fault but no specific error. Being rather new to all this, I expect there is probably a log file, but I don't know where to look. It seems to work up to the point where I "make" the executable using "hard floats" following instructions similar (and including) to those found here: http://lispm.de/ccl#t106 but after running it, it crashes.
Why not go to the developers website ??

http://ccl.clozure.com/download.html

Linux/ARM

There are two incompatible ABIs in common use on Linux/ARM systems. One of them passes floating-point arguments in floating-point registers (the hard-float ABI) and the other does not (the soft-float ABI). The lisp-kernel binary that is included in the Subversion repository uses the soft-float ABI. If this binary doesn't work on your system, then simply re-compile the lisp kernel:

$ cd lisp-kernel/linuxarm
$ make clean && make

This will build the lisp kernel using the default floating-point ABI for your system, which is probably what you want. It's also possible to specify which ABI you want to use by editing the float_abi.mk file in the lisp-kernel/linuxarm directory and then re-running the commands above.
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

mjflynt

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Yes, I did that, and I get the segmentation fault.

stderr

Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:04 pm

mjflynt wrote:Yes, I did that, and I get the segmentation fault.
If you download the 1.11 version using svn, and you build it on the pi after apt-get install m4, it runs for me. I did a (+ 2 2) in the REPL and got back 4!

mjflynt

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:10 am

stderr wrote:
mjflynt wrote:Yes, I did that, and I get the segmentation fault.
If you download the 1.11 version using svn, and you build it on the pi after apt-get install m4, it runs for me. I did a (+ 2 2) in the REPL and got back 4!

Were you able to set it to "hard float" per this: "It's also possible to specify which ABI you want to use by editing the float_abi.mk file in the lisp-kernel/linuxarm directory and then re-running the commands above."? The soft float version installed but is slow, and the 2B is ARM8 with hard float so should work.

stderr

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:42 am

mjflynt wrote:Were you able to set it to "hard float" per this: "It's also possible to specify which ABI you want to use by editing the float_abi.mk file in the lisp-kernel/linuxarm directory and then re-running the commands above."?
I went in there and the default seems to be blank and chosen elsewhere. I chose the hard floating point that was commented out and it did compile and seems to run.
2B is ARM8 with hard float so should work.
I'm running an original RPi, I don't know if the RPi2 has some different issue or not.

DougieLawson

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:24 am

mjflynt wrote: The soft float version installed but is slow, and the 2B is ARM8 [sic] with hard float so should work.
The RPi2B is ARM7
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:30 am

mjflynt wrote: and the 2B is ARM8 with hard float so should work.
ARM Cortex-A7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A7
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

mjflynt

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:50 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
mjflynt wrote: and the 2B is ARM8 with hard float so should work.
ARM Cortex-A7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A7
Oh geez - silly me! Sorry about that. I got install instructions from a page similar to: http://techsnuffle.com/2012/10/28/commo ... e-nexus-7/

where it says, "Once that has finished we need to make a quick change to the config as, as default, Clozure for Arm7 is set up for soft floating point. We need hard." So, because I knew the Arm version just changed, I added one to this one. I'm not sure why except I recall reading somewhere that Clozure 1.10 was optimized a different way than the earlier version. So, my mistake. It is an Arm7. Thanks for correcting me.

Also, as pointed out in another post, the Clozure version is 1.11 now. I have not had a chance to try it yet, but I hope I have better luck!

fruitoftheloom

Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:04 am

mjflynt wrote:Also, as pointed out in another post, the Clozure version is 1.11 now. I have not had a chance to try it yet, but I hope I have better luck!
Yes pointed that out in first response that the Developers Website is the de-facto place to seek help :shock:
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

mjflynt

Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:44 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: Yes pointed that out in first response that the Developers Website is the de-facto place to seek help :shock:
Yes, you did, and I appreciate that. That is actually where I started, but at that time v1.10 was the most current. This v1.11 is fairly recent. I wasn't aware of it till stderr pointed that out. So I'll try it out later to see if the issue has been cleared up as stderr indicated that he/she was able to get it working. In the end, I will go back to the beginning - the developer website, but from where I started at first it had been no help. That's why I am reaching out here. I hope it isn't bothering anyone. As I indicated, I did do due diligence first. I couldn't find anyplace with instructions for v1.10 except that website. I ended up modifying v1.9 instructions to try different methods.

gravaigu

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:11 am

I came across the same error when rebuilding the ccl kernel on latest Raspbian Jessie. The compile succeeds, however the armcl binary segfaults, whatever ccl version I try (1.9, 1.11, 1.12). Note that the binary supplied by default works.

I did not have this problem under Raspbian Wheezy.

mjflynt

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:30 pm

Yeah, it still doesn't work for me either, but I wasn't getting much help here. If you, gravaigu, figure it out, can you post the solution here so I can get it working?

gravaigu

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Of course.

Are you also under Raspbian Jessie?

mjflynt

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Yes, I am. I also can get the distribution working before a recompile, but afterward, I am breaking it. :|

gravaigu

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:42 pm

I suspect this has something to do with the linking.

With the original binary:
  • eric@raspberrypi ~/ccl $ ldd armcl.sauv
    linux-vdso.so.1 (0x7ebb8000)
    /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libarmmem.so (0x76ef2000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libdl.so.2 (0x76ed6000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6 (0x76e5b000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpthread.so.0 (0x76e33000)
    librt.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/librt.so.1 (0x76e1c000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6 (0x76cdf000)
    /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 (0x54b41000)
Whereas with the recompiled one:
  • eric@raspberrypi ~/ccl $ ldd armcl
    not a dynamic executable
The binary recompiled under Wheezy had same output as the default one.

mjflynt

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:19 am

Follow Up: Preliminary, I have switched to CCL v1.11.
First, CCL does run directly from the svn distribution without having to make it. Second, it uses the default system float which is hard float. So, it works the way I want right away. Third, it does not rebuild unless you edit the Makefile to remove custom linking. I haven't tried changing the processor type or float type in the config file yet, but that's next. I post again with those results I'm just happy to get it to build at all. So, now I have something to start with on the Pi 3 which should be arriving in a few day/weeks...

The details can be found here: http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/1349

Return to “Troubleshooting”