Killertechno

Mouse not working after update?

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi guys,
I've download Raspbian Wheezy (kernel 3.18, release date 5/2015), all correctly working running startx.
Since I've run "sudo apt-get update" my mouse is not working.
I supposed it was a mouse trouble, so I change several mice with no success.....
Nothing to do: I run startx and I get freezed ablack arrow.

I solved running "sudo apt-get upgrade".

Any idea?
Thanks.

RogerRamJet

Re: Mouse not working after update?

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 pm

Hi all

I have completed an update this evening. I was hoping to run startx and play with minecraft. I ran startx which looked to load but my mouse did not move the cursor which is black. My keyboard numlock light went out. I could not do anything. a repeat of the update process showed that there was nothing else to update. I have tried booting straight into startx with the same result.
I do not know what else to try. I have an old noobs on an old sd card and I can get straight into startx and mouse works so no power issues. Seems same problem as what Killertechno is having.
Linux raspberrypi 4.1.12+ #824 PREEMPT Wed Oct 28 16:39:49 GMT 2015 arm61
and version
Nov 1 2015 2015 14:49:52
version 8f1c8e72174c0415fd479c1c7be66b880fab3d79 (clean) (release)

Thanks in advance
Richard

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Killertechno wrote:I've download Raspbian Wheezy (kernel 3.18, release date 5/2015), all correctly working running startx.
Why not join us in the second decade of the 21st Century by downloading Raspbian Jessie or NOOBS 1.4.2? Rather than trying to use something that has been superseded.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

RogerRamJet

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:53 am

I have loaded Rasbian Wheezy on to a spare SD card - Version May 2015 - Release date 2015-05-05. Startx is working.

The old original SD card -
I thought by performing an update and upgrade it would take me to the latest of something. I am not sure what that latest of something is. I must admit I did have an old version of something and it has been a while since I performed an update and an upgrade. Even so, if I perform an update and an upgrade I was expecting startx to work. Something has gone wrong. What I have no idea, where to start looking to getting it to work.... again no idea. I have in theory lost the work I was doing. If I was a young lad or lass with not much know how then it may be that the raspberry pi is put on the shelf never to be used again due to lack of knowledge to get it working. I think that this should be a real worry for the raspberry Pi foundation. Perhaps though this young lad/lass would be in a minority because the majority stick with scratch or sonic pi or other simple things.
Comparing the new startx with the startx I have a fault with, they look to be a few revisions apart. I am getting a feeling that update and upgrade will not take me to this new revision. Therefore if I have a major project running on my old SD card running the old operating system then I have to copy the project across to a new SD card running the latest operating system as update and upgrade will not help.

I have another raspberry pi with my main project on (web server, mysql, python scripts, camera software, attached electronics). it has taken 2 years on and off. I am now very afraid of performing an update and upgrade.

I am going to have to research more about the different operating systems and what update and upgrade actually does and find the limitations.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Richard

RogerRamJet

Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:26 am

I will have to try this as I still have my non working startx SD card to play with. I want to bottom this not just for myself but perhaps for other people looking in.

From 'The pi hut' - 'UPDATING RASPBIAN ON YOUR MICROSD FOR THE RASPBERRY PI 2'

In December 2014, the Foundation released an updated look and feel of Raspbian. The way to tell the difference is in the old version, the menu bar is at the bottom of the screen. In the new version, it is at the top. Lots of other things have changed for the better too. To get the update, use the following two commands:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods

RogerRamJet

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:58 pm

Well I now have the new startx.

BUT mouse and keyboard still not working. Hmmmmm

startx then press enter. Some text on the screen then black screen before new gui appears. As soon as I get the black screen the num lock light goes out. I think this is the point where I loose my keyboard and mouse. More research required.

Return to “Troubleshooting”