hinthel

Smelly Pi

Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:54 pm

I am a first time Pi user. I got 2 bundles with everything I would need to setup a Rasberry Pi but when I opened the anti static bag they were in both smelled like burnt electronics. I tested them both and they seemed to work fine. However my experience with chromium was bad. It took a little bit of time to put in a search term and have it show up in the search field. The default browser did not have this issue so I was wondering if the burnt smell has something do with it or does chromium not run well on the Pi. My goal was to make a viewer for our security camera, my 8 year old Dell Latitude 2100 net top is getting replaced which ran the video ok on chrome, but the performance is bad on the Pi. If I can't use them for SD video I can always use them for other tasks.

toxibunny

Re: Smelly Pi

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:47 pm

I seem to remember a post before talking about a 'burnt electronics' smell when opening the packet. Apparently it was just normal.

Probably it's just that chromium doesn't work so well. Write a post describing what you want to do - maybe there's a way to do it without getting chromium involved...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

RaTTuS

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:55 pm

1) Chrome is rubbish on RPi
2) if your Cameras sent a h264 or mpeg2 stream then you can use omxplayer to show the stream
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

hinthel

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:18 pm

I am trying to set up a viewer for my Ubiquiti 2nd gen IP cameras. I was using a Latitude 2100 net top I refurbished but I am now looking for something quieter and lower powered.
I do remember something about streaming on the ubnt.com forums, I will check it out.

kusti8

Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Chromium runs relatively well on a Pi2 with Jessie. It's obviously not the best because of the PI's limited power, but people have reported that it works well of you don't have too many tabs open. I've written a guide I'n case you want to try it out, which can be found with a simple Google.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

hinthel

Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:26 pm

I am guessing that my Pi 2 models are damaged. The youtube videos of chromium on Pi run better than mine. Also, the 8 year old net tops I have run chrome better than the Pi runs chromium.

kusti8

Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:46 pm

hinthel wrote:I am guessing that my Pi 2 models are damaged. The youtube videos of chromium on Pi run better than mine. Also, the 8 year old net tops I have run chrome better than the Pi runs chromium.
What version are you using? What OS? Can you post a video so I can see if it's normal or some problem?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Troubleshooting”