klricks

Re: Jessie 50% working Pi 2 B+ About to give up

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:25 pm

After installing a 'raw' image you must first run sudo raspi-config and use the option to expand filesystem to fill the SD card then reboot. If not done you will soon run out of disk space and possibly corrupt the OS.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

fopetesl

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:30 pm

[quote="klricks"]After installing a 'raw' image you must first run sudo raspi-config and use the option to expand filesystem to fill the SD card then reboot. If not done you will soon run out of disk space and possibly corrupt the OS.[/quote]
Tried that.
No change. Same as original post.

Also, with brand new Sandisk Class 12.5 16GB SD, tried running ubuntu-mate-15.04-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi-2 after burning image with Win32DiskImager.
Load LED flashes, mostly seven times, repeatedly but screen just stays multicoloured.

Beginning to think IS a faulty Pi.

stderr

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:57 pm

fopetesl wrote:
klricks wrote: > After installing a 'raw' image you must first run sudo raspi-config and
> use the option to expand filesystem to fill the SD card then reboot. If
> not done you will soon run out of disk space and possibly corrupt the OS.
>
Tried that.
No change. Same as original post.
So you can boot up to the point that you can expand the file system? If you really can do that, it is running, but you say you are only getting the flashing lights and nothing on the screen that makes sense. I still think you should mount the flash card under Linux and look at what you have on it. You can't just chroot and run things unless you are doing this on an Arm box but you can mount it and look at it.

fopetesl

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:01 am

Well. fingers crossed, looks like we've cracked it.

The secret seems to be the new Sandisk Class 10 SD card ;)

After trying (& failing) to run Ubuntu Mate I wiped the card fully, (took 25 minutes!), installed Jessie and BINGO!
Everything seems to run without problem even apt-get :)

So. although the advice out there, is to use a Class 10 SD card it isn't made clear (that I've seen) that this is almost mandatory.

Advice for someone else I hope.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

drgeoff

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:40 am

Use of a Class 10 card is definitely not mandatory. Indeed the general advice is that for use in RPis it is not worth paying any price premium for them over a Class 4 or 6.

I have two original 256 Mbyte Bs, a B+ and a RPi2. All work perfectly with Class 4 cards.

fopetesl

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:50 am

drgeoff wrote:Use of a Class 10 card is definitely not mandatory. Indeed the general advice is that for use in RPis it is not worth paying any price premium for them over a Class 4 or 6.

I have two original 256 Mbyte Bs, a B+ and a RPi2. All work perfectly with Class 4 cards.
You may be correct but my recent experience seems to disagree. Class 10 is the answer.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:56 am

fopetesl wrote:Well. fingers crossed, looks like we've cracked it.

The secret seems to be the new Sandisk Class 10 SD card ;)

After trying (& failing) to run Ubuntu Mate I wiped the card fully, (took 25 minutes!), installed Jessie and BINGO!
Everything seems to run without problem even apt-get :)

So. although the advice out there, is to use a Class 10 SD card it isn't made clear (that I've seen) that this is almost mandatory.

Advice for someone else I hope.

Thanks for all the input, guys.
Disagree, whilst some OSes like Windows IoT Core state Class10, I have used Class4, 6 & 10 over the years with Raspbian , OpenElec, Slackware etal ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

rpdom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:59 am

fopetesl wrote:
drgeoff wrote:Use of a Class 10 card is definitely not mandatory. Indeed the general advice is that for use in RPis it is not worth paying any price premium for them over a Class 4 or 6.

You may be correct but my recent experience seems to disagree. Class 10 is the answer.
I agree with drgeoff on this.

Out of the many cards I have used on my systems, only one is a class 10. In fact I've heard more people complain of problems with some class 10 cards than with any others.

fopetesl

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:49 pm

OK, guys.
It seems you are correct about class 10 devices.
I tested both 'old' SD cards with h2testw which threw up most of both cards as faulty.
I was suspicious of it finding false positives so I bought a new Kingston class 10 32GB SD from 7dayshop (£6.99 inc).
It tested 100% positive.

So the revised moral is "don't buy cheap chinese SD cards".

Sorted. Thanks.

Return to “Troubleshooting”