kraptv

New firmware 4.1.10-v7+ causing crashes on RPi2?

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:13 am

Gang,

Yesterday I had been running my Raspberry Pi solidly for quite some time and ran a rpi-update which updated my kernel to 4.1.10-v7+. I was running 4.1.8-v7+ beforehand and it was fine.

Now I get random lockups within maybe 30 minutes of it being online. I've disconnected all USB devices and kept it connected to a powered-off television.

Anyone else getting this?

(Also - searching the forum search for rpi-update yields zero results, but searching for update yields a bunch of posts with "rpi-update" in them. Not friendly for those looking for specific strings. :-( )

kraptv

Re: New firmware 4.1.10-v7+ causing crashes on RPi2?

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:17 am

I will just go ahead and downgrade to my last known good configuration, which was the 4.1.8+ version.

In case you want to do it yourself:

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update 608c3b3e994e086d400f77469682ff1e8f346e27

rpdom

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:19 am

kraptv wrote:(Also - searching the forum search for rpi-update yields zero results, but searching for update yields a bunch of posts with "rpi-update" in them. Not friendly for those looking for specific strings. :-( )
The forum search is a bit pants :(

You'll get better results using an external search engine and putting "site:raspberrypi.org" as one of the search terms.

PeterO

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:56 am

Why did you run rpi-update ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

kraptv

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:04 am

PeterO wrote:Why did you run rpi-update ?
One of the beautiful things about the Raspberry Pi platform is that it's a novel way to experiment and play with things, especially as new features get introduced in a fairly dynamic and agile way. I ran it because I could, and there were no issues with 4.1.8.

The question you SHOULD be asking is
PeterO wrote:Did the problem disappear after you downgraded back to 4.1.8?
Answering that unasked question: Correct - system seems perfectly stable at this point and will possibly experiment a bit more to tease out the why of the failure.

Thanks all! (And thanks to rpdom for the better search suggestion)

PeterO

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:37 am

So you knew running rpi-update can cause problems, and you had no good reason ("because I can" is NOT a good reason ) for running it, and now you are complaining that it broke something ? :roll:

Do you see where you went wrong ?

Please don't run rpi-update unless you have a good reason to do so (such as being told by a RPIF Engineer to try new firmware to fix a bug).

PeterO

PS: "Why did you run rpi-update ?" was the perfect question as it produced the expected result !
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

DougieLawson

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 pm

To add to what Peter has said. Never run rpi-update unless you know how to recover your system when it won't boot and you know the github commit for your current working firmware/kernel so you can reverse the changes to a known good level.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

heatfanjohn

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi all,

I'm only commenting to give my own experience.

Until recently I wasn't updating my legacy Raspberry Pi Model B 256MB system as most everything it was doing was running without any issue (I guess I'm now a typical end user). This system keeps track of the temperature inside my house and runs a CIFS/NFS server using external drives on the system. This system is still on Wheezy.

I have started to work with a couple of new Raspberry Pi 2 systems which I started on Jessie and while trying to set one up as an access point I needed to upgrade to the latest firmware using rpi-update. I initially did this to ensure that the problem I was facing wasn't fixed with the latest firmware. I finally found a web page with instructions that resolved my problem. These instructions also recommended performing an rpi-update. I also had to run rpi-source to allow me to build a modified wireless kernel driver to finally get the WiFi adapter I purchased to work with hostapd.

I am therefore concerned reading this thread warning about when and how to use rpi-update. I understand that when using rpi-pdate the user needs to be prepared to backout or move to a previously known stable firmware. That being said, what stability level should a user expect from the "latest" firmware installed by rpi-update.

Please excuse any novice or naive questions or misused terminology as I try to quickly learn how to work with open software and the evolving world of the Raspberry Pi. For example, isn't applying firmware updates using apt-get relatively new?

Thank you,
John

kusti8

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:47 pm

In the beginning, the stable firmware was updated using rpi-update.

This is now not the case. Now the stable firmware is in the repo, with rpi-update being bleeding edge. As an example, there was one firmware update available via rpi-update that made your Pi not boot able.

Unless you are instructed by someone specifically to run it, you should not run it at all.

It's not very dangerous, but bad things can break and for 99% of users the repo is just fine. For people with special cases, they can either wait a few weeks until it becomes stable, or jump the gun now.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

sottix

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:31 am

kraptv wrote:Gang,

Yesterday I had been running my Raspberry Pi solidly for quite some time and ran a rpi-update which updated my kernel to 4.1.10-v7+. I was running 4.1.8-v7+ beforehand and it was fine.

Now I get random lockups within maybe 30 minutes of it being online. I've disconnected all USB devices and kept it connected to a powered-off television.

Anyone else getting this?

(Also - searching the forum search for rpi-update yields zero results, but searching for update yields a bunch of posts with "rpi-update" in them. Not friendly for those looking for specific strings. :-( )
I'm experiencing the same lockups.... Shoud we report this to the devs (github bug report)?

q1t1

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:12 am

Just to add my stone... I have exactly the same problem, the pi freezes about 1 and half / 2 days.

Downgrading to 4.1.8 to see if the problem goes away...

PeterO

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:29 am

You are running an unstable branch , what did you expect to happen ?
PeterO

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:01 pm

dom

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:30 am

if you experiencing this problem (after running rpi-udpate to get kernel 4.1.9 ot 4.1.10) then please try latest rpi-update and report back.

Return to “Troubleshooting”