sukhpreetsingh

Raspberry pi Processor reaching 100c on startup

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:20 pm

As soon as I start my raspberry its processor becomes too hot to touch.

Using this command "/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp" it shows that my pi has reached 100 C Temperature. I tried powering it from a charger and CPU's Usb port, But still the same result..

Any one knows why its happening.
I am using it for home automation process. And have assigned the GPU, 128 mb memory.

I have also tried removing all the connections i made using jumper cable. But still the same results....!

Please help me to trouble shoot this problem.

drgeoff

Re: Raspberry pi Processor reaching 100c on startup

Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:28 pm

The most frequent cause is abuse of one or more GPIO pins which irreversibly converts part of the chip into an electric heater. Usually the damage spreads and becomes fatal.

Your RPi is now probably on borrowed time.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

PrivacyEnhanced

Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:53 pm

LOL... electric heater.... I wanted to borrow it to fry my eggs this morning.

Still I kind of find that number hard to believe. Maybe the program or sensor is wrong.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:59 pm

The vcgencmd command returns the temperature from the on-board bandgap temperature sensor. At 100C, it's likely the SoC has been damaged and there's a Vdd to Vss short somewhere on the chip, usually in the GPIO block due to misuse.

Your Pi is terminally ill, I'm afraid.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

drgeoff

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:39 pm

PrivacyEnhanced wrote:LOL... electric heater.... I wanted to borrow it to fry my eggs this morning.

Still I kind of find that number hard to believe. Maybe the program or sensor is wrong.
No. The OP also said it is too hot to touch very soon after powering up.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

sukhpreetsingh

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:24 am

Well i am making a home automation project(implementing on a small house model). And for that purpose I need to use a lot of gpio's simultaneously. I don't think if this has caused it to short.
More over when i removed all of the connections(jumpers), even then its heating and reaching those high temperatures and still rising.......

I am using motor drivers and relays and have connected them to appropriate required supplies....! :?
So i dont think if this has caused any problem....

sukhpreetsingh

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:38 am

drgeoff wrote:The most frequent cause is abuse of one or more GPIO pins which irreversibly converts part of the chip into an electric heater. Usually the damage spreads and becomes fatal.

Your RPi is now probably on borrowed time.

How can i take care of this thing....?
How can one miss use a gpio such that it can damage a Raspberry Pi?
is there any way to recover..?

rpdom

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:50 am

sukhpreetsingh wrote:How can one miss use a gpio such that it can damage a Raspberry Pi?
By shorting a high output to ground, or a low output to 3.3V. By connecting more than about 3.5V to any gpio. By any power spike from a motor (although you say you are using driver boards so they should have protection).
Sorry, no. The Pi is dying :(

sukhpreetsingh

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:56 am

rpdom wrote:
sukhpreetsingh wrote:How can one miss use a gpio such that it can damage a Raspberry Pi?
By shorting a high output to ground, or a low output to 3.3V. By connecting more than about 3.5V to any gpio. By any power spike from a motor (although you say you are using driver boards so they should have protection).
Sorry, no. The Pi is dying :(

Bro i always work carefully. I switch off the pi and then i connect jumpers and then i re check my connections whether they are right or wrong....And then only after being sure, i Switch on my pi. :(
I am surprised to hear that i m loosing my pi :cry: :oops:
Pls guide me. what i can do to work on it...?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:58 am

Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

sukhpreetsingh

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:04 am

Guyz the fault was in the raspberry pi......I think a few gpio's got shorted... :cry: .. So this was heating up the processor......Still the raspberry pi can be used so ill keep it for experimenting new things on it... :lol: And ive got the new one for myself

Return to “Troubleshooting”