axel_fox

Network share & Reinstalling Raspbian using NOOBS?

Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi guys,

I recently picked up a Raspbery Pi 2 for learning purposes and it came with an 8 gig SD card with NOOBS installed and I used it to install raspbian

One of the first things I did was try to set up a share so my laptop can push files to a folder on my Pi (just simple test.txt files)

I was mainly following this guide (although i ignored trying to write an external HD, i'll save that for another day):
http://www.howtogeek.com/139433/how-to- ... ge-device/

First I created a directory called /media/test and modified smb.conf so my laptop could see it, but then I couldn't write to it. I was getting permissions errors on my laptop saying i didn't have write permissions. One work around I found is that in smb.conf I could make my home folder (which I learned was /pi/) not read only and I was able to successfully see and write to that directory. Only problem is that all of the guides I read suggested I make /media/test (or another test folder in my root folder) the share so I continued to try to allow permissions for /media/test

I ultimately started playing around with chmod to give all users read/write access to my /media/test directory which borked things up and now my laptop can't even read what's in the share (it see's the share but when i try to open it i get a permission error).

I think it's probably best for me to start fresh and reinstall raspbian and be more careful next time. I was wondering, what do you guys think is the best way for me to start fresh? I read online that NOOBS has a recovery feature where I can install Raspbian again. Does using this recovery feature allow me to completely delete my current raspbian OS and reinstall it from fresh? Or would be a better idea to take the microSD card and completely format it, download and install NOOBS again (as if I bought an empty SD card) and then install raspbian again?

Any help or suggestions is appreciated

Thanks!

kusti8

Re: Network share & Reinstalling Raspbian using NOOBS?

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:21 pm

The NOOBS recovery will completely reinstall Raspbian and you will have a fresh slate. That's what it was designed to do.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

KLL

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:18 am

a other HOW TO DO SAMBA:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_NAS

metalj

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:58 am

I've recovered alot of times and haven't run into any problems. I even made a list of things to do when I recover like setup audio, password, WiFi password, reinstall stella and a few other things.
Backspace 28 times :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”