Cod3r

running out of memory maybe?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm having all sorts of trouble but it's only after I start lxde.. Going to try a different window manager, but I'm starting to think maybe it's something with the memory..

Maybe it's not swapping correctly or whatever.. I notice there is no swap drive which sort of boggles the mind.

anyway what's happening is I have an external dvd player and i put a dvd in and try to mount it (while in lxde) all sorts of problem with this.. it loses the mount sometimes then says not a valid block device then i lose my eth0.. Just loses connection and everything..

So i ctrl+alt+backspace out of lxde and everything starts working again. DVD mounts fine, eth0 comes back instantly computer becomes responsive.

Only thing I can think is that lxde is too heavy weight for this thing.. and the lack of swap drive can't be a good idea.

pluggy

Re: running out of memory maybe?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Not having a swap drive with SD card storage is par for the course. It doesn't take kindly to the rapid read/write cycles swap drives use. Its deemed that its cons outweigh its pros.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

El_Presidente

Re: running out of memory maybe?

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Cod3r wrote:I have an external dvd player and i put a dvd in and try to mount it (while in lxde) all sorts of problem with this.. it loses the mount sometimes then says not a valid block device then i lose my eth0.. Just loses connection and everything.
So are you connecting it via USB direct to one of the two Pi ports, or via some kind of hub?
Does it have it's own power supply?

If directly connected and no power of its own then what is the DVD drive power rating/requirement? Much over 100ma and it won't work from a standard Pi port. Only low power devices can use the Pi - you would need a powered hub.

If you're already using a powered hub, then you're one of the many in the general USB crapshoot. Trying to find a working combination of hub, power supply and USB device is keeping quite a few of us awake at night!

If directly connected and it has it's own power supply then just check that the cable from your player to the Pi isn't back-feeding power to the Pi. Otherwise - wait for the smart folks to chime in. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.

Return to “Troubleshooting”