edmun

Power supply went down after upgrade

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi Guys

Normally I would not bother, but this time I don't really believe in concidence.
Yesterday morning, I have connected by ssh to my Raspberry Pi B model (the first B model - Raspberry Pi 1 Model B - 512MB) and run one after another (on Raspbian):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update

That was the first time I have used rpi-update and after it has downloaded about 48 MB file, it run through the upgrade and ask me to restart my raspberry. I have triggered the reboot (I think incorrectly cause couple of minutes earlier I was rebooting couple of Windows systems) by command sudo shutdown -r now.
Raspberry has not boot up after this. Once I have arrived home, I have connected HDMI cable and found that Raspberry is not sending any video (check input on tv). Rebooted Raspberry, happy that it has started, connected by ssh and found that was disconnected after couple of minutes. Wasn't able to connect again (connection refused) so rebooted it again. Again, connected by ssh - found that it kicked me off after couple of minutes once Windows was trying to attach a mapped drive shared from Raspberry Pi. Once I have disconnected and connected my Rasperry Pi again, I found that no lights are on.
Today - I have realised that USB plug has went down. It was quite expensive USB Plug from "kit:" which never caused me an issues for over a year?(5V / 1A, drives connected by a seperate powered USB hubs with no back power going to raspberry Pi).

My question here - was it a total coincidence that I have lost a power plug after rpi-update or is there anything that I don't know about this process? :D I have already ordered another USB plug 5V this time with 2A, but I was just wondering if this was just a coincidence?

skywatch

Re: Power supply went down after upgrade

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:28 am

A coincidence for sure.

I have many pis here and never an issue with rpi-update. I have had issues with power supplies in a lot of situations over the years. Power supplies are not all made the same. You need to find a good brand that is powerfull enough for your pi and anything you have connected to it via USB or GPIO.

Maybe now is a good time to look for a backup PSU just in case of future issues?

Massi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:07 am

afaik, rpi-update is not the standard update method (that is apt-get dist-upgrade)
usually you can use it after a dist-upgrade if there's a fix to something in the last work in progress firmware
i'd try with a dist-upgrade, even if i don't know if it correctly works after a rpi-update..

edmun

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

skywatch wrote:A coincidence for sure.
[...]
You need to find a good brand that is powerfull enough for your pi and anything you have connected to it via USB or GPIO.

Maybe now is a good time to look for a backup PSU just in case of future issues?
1) I don't have anything connected by the USB port which would drain any power
2) I did have a good brand PSU, however this time I have ordered 3 additional ones, to always have one on hand (in handy?)

Thank you anyway into looking into it :)

Massi - thanks also for looking into this topic. I have already re-imaged the SD card, don't see any errors in the syslog for 2 days, so I don't feel that there is anything suspicious going on.

martinmarty

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:00 am

My bet is that it was a coincidence, as hard as that is to believe sometimes.

I just got to the bottom of a really weird problem which ended up being a marginal 2A power supply. I had read reports of others warning to ensure a good power supply but until I got bit the lesson was not learned. I figured it would either work or not work - as opposed to intermittent i2c communications issues and some peripherals working some of the time. I wasted a whole lot of time and frustration because of my cheapie PSU.

In any case, now I am buying $5 regulated or switching power supplies from a reputable company that actually puts their name on the box rather than $5 eBay units with no name anywhere. They're all made in China but that pretty much goes without saying.

I see that Acme is selling a $10 PSU that they claim is designed for RPi: http://store.acmeun.com/products/pi-sup ... upply.html. It seems to be out of stock at the moment. I have not tried their PSU but I use their real-time clock modules and they have been of good and consistent quality.

In any case, even if you buy a cheapie PSU, get a spare or two just so you'll have another to try if something strange starts happening. In my problem, after figuring out the cause I plugged in another one of my no-name power supplies and it worked fine. It's so little money compared to the hours and many hairs I pulled out. Now that I have learned my lesson you can bet that it will be something I check sooner the next time I see unexplained weirdness.

Return to “Troubleshooting”