lostngone

Problems with Verizon U620L 4G/LTE modem

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:30 am

I have a project that would work better with one of these USB cellular dongles, rather then a wifi mifi type device. I am running into a wall with Raspbian and this device. There are plenty of people with these dongles and it seems that every device is implemented a little different and everyone's instructions are different. The unit I have is a Novatel MC620/USB620L and Verizon brands it as a U620L.

I have tried the Novatel/Verizon instructions and I get
"Error: message endpoint not given or found. Aborting" when I issue the usb_modeswitch ... command as directed.

I have tried the sakis3g script with no luck. I think I get further but I get "Module "qcserial" loaded but refused to bind to device "1410:9020" or "Module "option" loaded but refused to bind to device "1410:9020" or "Failed to connect" depending on what options I pick.

Has anyone gotten this particular dongle to work with Raspbian if so can you please help me.

Thank You

Edit: I didn't say it but the device does show up in lsusb also it is the latest Raspbian installed from NOOBS.

Hinoserm

Re: Problems with Verizon U620L 4G/LTE modem

Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi,

We have also begun looking into a project involving the U620L just today. Our Verizon sales rep is trying to find us one in stock so we can put together a prototype, so I haven't had a chance to mess around with it in person just yet.

I'm basing all of my information off of the instructions that were provided by our rep ( http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/supp ... -17-15.pdf )

It looks like you need to recompile the kernel in order to support the vendor and device IDs specific to the U620L. Did you do this? Is it still required with the latest packaged kernel? Did you have to recompile/regenerate/reflash/rewhatever the bootloader?

I am mostly curious about what difficulties you might be running into so that I know what to expect, or if maybe we should consider using a serial-based modem for our project, or perhaps an older model USB modem with "better" driver support.

Thank you for your time.

-Michael

lostngone

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:06 am

Thank you for your reply. No I have not touched the kernel yet. The document made it sound like you only needed to do kernel work if you wanted to directly enumerate the modem(enterprise mode) but maybe I misread/misunderstood that.

Below this is what happens when I follow the Verizon instructions. I did the prerequisites and installed usb_modeswitch.

1. Verify that your device is in End-User Mode by issuing the following command:
# lsusb
If the device is in End-User Mode, the response is:
ID 1410:9020 Novatel Wireless

This works the pi can see the dongle and it matches the vendor code and product code shown.

2. If the device is in End-User Mode, uninstall the RNDIS driver by issuing the following command:
# sudo rmmod rndis_host

When I follow step two it states it isn't found or loaded. I am not in front of my pi to list the exact message.

3. Switch the device to CDC-ECM configuration by issuing the following command:
# sudo usb_modeswitch –v 0x1410 –p 0x9020 –u 2

This is the step where I get the "Error: message endpoint not given or found. Aborting" message.
---------------------

I can try and recompile the kernel as stated in the enterprise mode section but things rarely turn out well for me when I do kernel work.

Hinoserm

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:52 am

Hi,

Yeah, after re-reading the document more closely, it does appear you are correct about only needing to recompile for enterprise mode. I can't get any clear info about what Enterprise Mode actually does, but I'm assuming it's not relevant to your situation.

Our verizon rep ordered me one so I can play around with it, but it could be a week or so before it comes in, so I probably won't be much help regarding your issue until it arrives.

When it arrives, assuming you haven't found a solution by then, I'll try to keep you updated on if I run into the same problem and/or if I can figure out how to get around it.

-Michael

Hinoserm

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:07 am

Just as a random thought,

Are you able to plug the dongle into a Windows machine? If so, that would let you confirm it's not defective. You could also attempt to do a firmware update (you'd have to search for the procedure -- I'm not familiar with how to upload firmware on the U620L). It might also be an issue where the carrier data needs to be provisioned before the linux kernel can talk to it (maybe a bug or something?)

I know with some Sierra Wireless devices, they will reset themselves many times immediately after provisioning, and can act funny if they're not allowed to complete this process or if they get interrupted before it finishes.

-Michael

lostngone

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:45 am

I have not plugged it into a windows system but I have tested it in Mac OS X and it works fine there. I am 95% sure the problem I am having is I have no clue what I am doing or how this is suppose to work in the first place. Is the device suppose to somehow emulate a ethernet interface or am I suppose to set up a serial interface and build a ppp dial script.

Under Mac OS X, I am assuming it is running in end user mode there, the device actually has a web interface(192.168.1.1) and there is an option to check for firmware updates.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/ ... se-163801/

I had a older 3g Novatel USB dongle that was on a local carrier(GCI) here in Alaska that I didn't try to hard to get working. I thought it would be next to impossible to get working due to the fact that is a small carrier with nonstandard settings that no one online could help me with. I thought if I got one from a national carrier the likelihood of someone knowing how to get it to work would be greater.

Edit: Please keep me in the loop with anything you find out, I would greatly appreciate that. I will continue to poke around and see what I can figure out
Thank you

Hinoserm

Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:43 am

I have received my U620L unit today and am running into the same issue you report. The problem appears to be that the version of usb_modeswitch packaged with the Raspberry Pi is too old.

I am following the information provided here: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... f=3&t=2393

I'm still trying to get it working, but I just wanted to go ahead and briefly fill you in with what I've got so far. It looks like it might be possible to reconfigure the device directly through the /sys interface, which is what I'm likely going to try to do since it seems simpler than recompiling a newer version of usb_modeswitch (it has some fairly daunting-looking external dependencies).

-Michael

Hinoserm

Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:31 am

I was able to construct a udev rule that will automatically reconfigure the device to use cdc ethernet mode whenever it is connected to the Raspberry Pi. These are the steps I used:

1) Create a new file: sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/99-vzw_u620l.rules

2) In the file should be a single line of content:

Code: Select all

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1410", ATTR{idProduct}=="9020", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}=="1", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="2"
3) Save the file (ctrl-x, "y", enter)

4) Type this command to reload the udev rules: sudo udevadm control --reload

5) Reboot the Pi (optional, probably not required, but I like to be safe)

Wait at least 30-120 seconds for the u620l device to enumerate (it takes a while), and hopefully you're all set.

Let me know how it goes.

-Michael

Hinoserm

Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:24 am

Just a note in case you aren't familiar with how Verizon's network is set up; if you don't have a corporate account with custom provisioning (or haven't paid the exorbitant "private IP" fee), your Pi won't get a public IPv4 address -- it'll get a Verizon-internal-NAT address.

If you want to easily connect to the device from a remote machine on the internet, you'll need to enable IPv6 on the Pi (or talk to your Verizon rep about adding private/static IP service).

-Michael

Hinoserm

Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:42 am

I've learned that the U620L supports some kind of "GPS-over-IP", which allows you to get the standard NMEA stream from the GPS built into the dongle. This is extremely helpful for me, because our original design spec called for adding a GPS module to track our Pi-based logistics unit. The downside is that Novatel's driver is designed only for Microsoft Windows.

However, it appears that the data is streamed via TCP/IP port 11010 on the dongle's internal-IP (192.168.1.1 by default). You can telnet to the port (or access it using custom software) and get an industry-standard NMEA stream.

If you want the GPS data, follow the instructions on the Verizon support site (http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/ ... se-164655/) to enable the GPS on the dongle.

I have also learned that the driver included in the Pi's 4.1.7 kernel (updated using "sudo rpi-update") does appear to support the AT-command serial interface out of the box. Simply follow the instructions provided by Verizon for entering Enterprise Mode, but skip the parts that tell you to modify the kernel (you still have to modprobe the appropriate modules as instructed).

I currently don't have a way to automate this, since our project currently has no need to access the AT command interface, but if it's something you need I would be willing to help you implement it. It would be a useful way to get statistics about the signal type and strength, if your application requires that data.

I can also confirm that the U620L does work properly with Verizon's static IP setup (if you have the appropriate corporate account and/or have paid the fees, as described previously), though you might have to convince Verizon's tech support agent of this before they'll activate the IP service for your SIM. I find I have the best luck getting IPs assigned if I call after hours, and select the "Lost/Stolen/Urgent Tech Matter" option -- these employees tend to be higher tier and better trained about the deepest workings of the network.

This now sums up all of the knowledge I have about using the Verizon U620L with the Raspberry Pi (version 2, model B). I'm not sure that all of this is relevant to your original issue, but wanted to go ahead and provide as much as possible. Please disregard any irrelevant info and let me know if I'm being annoying.

My company has a developer account with Verizon as well as Sierra Wireless, and we will be contacting Novatel to see if we can get the same privilege now that I know for sure that we can use these U620L devices with our products. This affords me a little bit of extra access to datasheets and command specs -- so if you need help with 3G/4G devices, I'm happy to assist whenever I can.

Edit: typos

-Michael

lostngone

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Hinoserm wrote:I was able to construct a udev rule that will automatically reconfigure the device to use cdc ethernet mode whenever it is connected to the Raspberry Pi. These are the steps I used:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1410", ATTR{idProduct}=="9020", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}=="1", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="2"

Wait at least 30-120 seconds for the u620l device to enumerate (it takes a while), and hopefully you're all set.

Let me know how it goes.

-Michael

Thank You!!!
That worked for me, you are awesome!

webdawg

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Hinoserm wrote:
My company has a developer account with Verizon as well as Sierra Wireless, and we will be contacting Novatel to see if we can get the same privilege now that I know for sure that we can use these U620L devices with our products. This affords me a little bit of extra access to datasheets and command specs -- so if you need help with 3G/4G devices, I'm happy to assist whenever I can.

-Michael
Hinosem,

Did you ever get any more information. What is the purpose of enterprise mode? Just to activate the serial interface/PPP? Do you know of a way to put this permanently into CDC-ECM mode? Would be nice to make this work without udev rules.

jptalledo

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:31 am

Hi

I am using the U620L4g with a Freescale IMX Arm processor running Ubuntu 12.04.

I am not running in Enterprise mode but only in CDC-ECM. I can get a DHCP IP using dhclient. However, sometimes the device stop responding to pings and not routing data to the internet.

Not sure if you have experienced this issue or know anything related to it.

cps

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi-
I just got one of these modems, put on a pi 3, added the rule indicated.
ifconfig says I have an external ip address now, but I cant seem to ssh or sftp in on that address.
Im trying to use this as a router & wifi connection, to allow us to operate a bunch of 3d printers we've developed.
What am I missing?

Hinoserm

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi there,

The way Verizon's network is set up, unless you've "purchased" a Static IP address or have some other enterprise/VPN arrangement, you will be assigned a semi-private IP and you'll be connected to the internet via NAT. This will mean that you are sharing a single IP with many other people/devices and thus there's no way to route incoming connections to your dongle. Verizon's answer for this is to charge a (rather large $500) fee to set up a static IP that will allow public routing directly to your device.

That said, in saying this I've made some assumptions -- if you DO indeed have a static IP set up via Verizon and can confirm that the Pi is getting the same IP that you were assigned, but still can't connect, there are a couple of issues I've encountered in the past that might be your problem:

1) Depending on what APN your dongle is configured to connect to, and what type of plan/account you have, encrypted traffic might be getting throttled/blocked. You may have to contact an account manager/sales rep and ask what the correct APN settings are for your dongle for "VPN use". This will usually get them to configure the account to be a little less strict in regards to throttling or blocking content.

2) Depending on how your Static IP was configured on Verizon's end, you might be set up with "limited access". My understanding is this basically generates firewall configs on their end that block incoming connections to the device, and possibly other limitations. Again, you'd probably have to contact someone to get this fixed.

If it turns out it's not any of those things, since the U620L is essentially a little computer with it's own OS acting as a fancy router, it's possible there's a software setting that needs to be fiddled with to allow routing of incoming connections -- I don't remember having to do this, and am definitely able to SSH in via the assigned static IPs -- but it's possible there's been a firmware update or I've just forgotten. You might plug the dongle into a Windows machine, access it's config pages, and confirm the settings.

-Michael
cps wrote:Hi-
I just got one of these modems, put on a pi 3, added the rule indicated.
ifconfig says I have an external ip address now, but I cant seem to ssh or sftp in on that address.
Im trying to use this as a router & wifi connection, to allow us to operate a bunch of 3d printers we've developed.
What am I missing?

Hinoserm

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:34 pm

Hi,

Sorry that I didn't see your post. We were never able to get any useful information from either company and the project I was using these in was finished up and deployed before we had a chance to do much more research.

Were you ever able to get them to stick in CDC-ECM mode? We've worked with other cards and dongles that have the ability to remember what mode you want them in, but I was never able to find anything like that with the U620L.

-Michael
webdawg wrote:
Hinoserm wrote:

-Michael
Hinosem,

Did you ever get any more information. What is the purpose of enterprise mode? Just to activate the serial interface/PPP? Do you know of a way to put this permanently into CDC-ECM mode? Would be nice to make this work without udev rules.

Hinoserm

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi,

Sorry that I didn't see your post until now. Were you ever able to figure it out?

We've deployed about a dozen of these devices based on the Pi 2 and Verizon U620L and they've been running 24/7 without any issues over the last year-or-so.

I've never worked with the platform you describe, but if I had to make a blind guess I'd maybe suggest making sure the dongle is getting enough power and the voltage isn't dipping too low -- it's a pretty power hungry little thing, and I've seen posts from other people having brown-out issues using it with the Pi.

-Michael
jptalledo wrote:Hi

I am using the U620L4g with a Freescale IMX Arm processor running Ubuntu 12.04.

I am not running in Enterprise mode but only in CDC-ECM. I can get a DHCP IP using dhclient. However, sometimes the device stop responding to pings and not routing data to the internet.

Not sure if you have experienced this issue or know anything related to it.

cps

Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:55 am

No, we haven't purchased a static IP adr. I called Verizon and yeh, its $500. We may still go down that route - Im amazed the price has gotten so high though, since they constantly get recycled.
I did have a very pleasant long conversation with a manager at Verizon, though, who loved what we're doing with 3D printers.
This all started as the network access in our building has been terrible - after the 8th time failing (for hours to days at a time), and being unable to access my printers through the network, I decided to try to set up a dedicated cellular modem to access them.
There are 3 rPis per printer, and multiple printers. 2 of the rPi3s run IR and visible cameras, the third is running the main printing functions.
Right now I just xterm or sftp control or data to/from the printers, using simple apps on my smartphones, Connectbot ex.
Can I get the dynamically generated adr somehow and access through that?

cps

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:52 am

I implemented a wifi access point using this code:
https://frillip.com/using-your-raspberr ... h-hostapd/
I can reach through to internet access on eth0 with a lan connection through wifi now.

I can see the cell network as an ip adr, and I can ping it successfully. It changes every time I reboot

I notice I can't find the usb device as /dev/ttyACM0.
If I try to use wvdial, it cant find /dev/ttyACM0.
I assume this is because of the mode its in.

Ive noticed too, sometimes the status light goes off, then the ip adr goes to 192.168.1.2. After a while it'll blink, then go back to a unique adr.

But I still can't get internet access through the modem. What am I missing?

charleslinquist

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:10 pm

I have a different modem - a Novatel 4G model that gives the following when I type lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1410:b001 Novatel Wireless Ovation MC551

I have had no luck getting this device to work. Has someone tried this model?

charleslinquist

4G ALMOST

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:39 am

I used wvdial and - using ttyUSB0 as the target, I got a Novatel 4G LTE modem to give me the following response. My question is - what do I need to do next to get this working?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: atdt*99***3#
--> Waiting for carrier.
atdt*99***3#
CONNECT EDGE
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Unable to run /usr/sbin/pppd.
--> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf.

webdawg

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:49 pm

There is a better way I just did not post it. It is also posted at my wiki (https://wiki.hackspherelabs.com/index.p ... ermanently):

=U620L=
==Put into CDC-ECM Mode==
# Go to: http://192.168.1.1/fieldtest/
# Click Debug Mode
# You will have to restart your modem so unplug and re plug I usually wait at least 10 seconds before unplugging and 15-30 seconds before plugging back in
# By default the modem will not work in Windows as Windows does not like this mode. Plug into a linux box or BSD box though and ask for a DHCP request and everything is cool!

You should still be able to access the web interface after this.

==Take out of CDC-ECM Mode==
# Plug into linux box or a box that interacts with CDC-ECM mode.
# Grab a DHCP release so we have access to the correct network (I think it uses NAT redirection)
# Go to: http://192.168.1.1/fieldtest/
# Click End User Mode

==Research Study==
I hope that they do not disable this feature in an update. I also wonder if having the modem in diagnostic mode disables firmware upgrades so I am going to track some firmware versions:

===Modem A===
Current Software Version:
1.3 (L1.218.1 M9x25MET-2.44.3 1 [2015-05-13 13:56:54])

Configuration Version:
I14.NVT,USB620.0

===Modem S===

Current Software Version:
1.3 (L1.218.1 M9x25MET-2.44.3 1 [2015-05-13 13:56:54])

Configuration Version:
I14.NVT,USB620.0

==Notes==
*I do not see a way to tell if the device is in debug mode
**This also gives you serial access too: screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200
**I do not know the password

Darren996

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:11 am

You are the man! Thank you!
Hinoserm wrote:I was able to construct a udev rule that will automatically reconfigure the device to use cdc ethernet mode whenever it is connected to the Raspberry Pi. These are the steps I used:

Let me know how it goes.

-Michael

tyurkevich

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:34 pm

Hinoserm wrote:
I was able to construct a udev rule that will automatically reconfigure the device to use cdc ethernet mode whenever it is connected to the Raspberry Pi. These are the steps I used:

Let me know how it goes.

-Michael

I was able to get my pi/mifi setup working properly by following the above steps before. However, I had to wipe my Pi and start from scratch and now I can't get it to work again. Are there any prerequisites to this? I feel like I'm missing something.

tyurkevich

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:56 pm

tyurkevich wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:34 pm
Hinoserm wrote:

Let me know how it goes.

-Michael

I was able to get my pi/mifi setup working properly by following the above steps before. However, I had to wipe my Pi and start from scratch and now I can't get it to work again. Are there any prerequisites to this? I feel like I'm missing something.

okay now i got it working with a fresh rasbian install + your directions but after a reboot it stopped working and will no longer connect. :|

Return to “Troubleshooting”