jamieadenuga

Starting up an old Pi

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:11 pm

I purchased a Raspberry Pi a few years ago, tinkered with it for a few months and eventually lost it (or so I thought). Recently I found it in the back of a cupboard and decided to try and get it up and running again.

When I first booted it, I noticed that the green LED was glowing faintly rather than blinking as it should be, and there was no image on my monitor. From this I recognised the problem as an issue with the booting program on the SD card. I formatted the SD, redownloaded the Raspbian operating system and transferred it to the card according to guidelines that I found on here.

Even after doing that, when I booted the Pi I still got the faintly glowing green LED, suggesting that what I did did not fix the problem. Is it a hardware issue? Or did I do something wrong?

Forgotten01

Re: Starting up an old Pi

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:28 pm

I'd say check your power supply. also, try a different SD card if you have one
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

jamieadenuga

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:18 pm

I tried it with a new power supply, then with a new SD card running NOOBS, neither worked. Is it a hardware problem with the circuiting then?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:02 pm

jamieadenuga wrote:I tried it with a new power supply, then with a new SD card running NOOBS, neither worked. Is it a hardware problem with the circuiting then?
Do you know which version of "older Pi" you have? It may be an issue with SD card slot** and/or the contacts - one, crude, solution to ensure the card was "connecting" was the use of a "clothes peg clamp".
Trev.
** including failure to hold the card in etc. :
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... ilure.html
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Return to “Troubleshooting”