After this I tried to install piui by doing the following:
following the install instructions
adding "192.168.1.1 piui" to hosts
starting up piui_demo.py
connecting my mobile phone to the pi router
going to http://192.168.1.1 on my mobile web browser
nothing happened

I now have 2 questions:
Does someone have any advice on how to fix this or what information (scripts ect) i need to share for you to maybe figure out my mistake?

Why can I not connect to the Pi via wifi when the ethernet cable isn't attached, while the wifi network still shows up (i don't intend on using the pi as a router, just want to use it for piui)?

JurgenRoman

Re: Trouble using PIUI

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:48 am

bump

JurgenRoman

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:33 am

bump

JurgenRoman

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:25 am

bump

JurgenRoman

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:36 pm

bump, i would really appreciate if annyone could help, I have been stuck on this for ages

RaTTuS

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:56 pm

what instructions are you following
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

JurgenRoman

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:18 pm

RaTTuS wrote:what instructions are you following
Setting up pi as router with edimax:
http://www.daveconroy.com/turn-your-ras ... s-chipset/

Piui tutorial:
http://errantscience.com/blog/2013/06/0 ... -use-piui/

I followed the piui tutorial except for the fact that i changed the hostapd and network/interfaces to be like the ones in the daveconroy tutorial

Everything works fine except 1 thing, my phone connects to the wifi the pi is emmitting, i start the piui_demo.py, i can find the webpage on when going to localhost:9999 on my pi's browser, but not when i go to either 192.168.1.1:9999 or 192.168.1.1 or http://piui on my phone that is connected to the pi

My phone also get's given an ip that starts with 10.0 (we have an apple router at home), can this have anything to do with it?
Shouldn't it get an ip that is something like 192.168.x.y ???

hope this info can help you in helping me :P Already really appreciate the reply

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Any address in 10.x.x.x/8 (probably sub-netted as 10.0.xxx.xxx/24) is a private, non-routeable address just like 172.[16-31].xxx.xxx/16 and 192.168.xxx.xxx/24 so that's not a problem. It just means that your Apple router supports having 16 million stations on your LAN.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

JurgenRoman

Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:18 am

DougieLawson wrote:Any address in 10.x.x.x/8 (probably sub-netted as 10.0.xxx.xxx/24) is a private, non-routeable address just like 172.[16-31].xxx.xxx/16 and 192.168.xxx.xxx/24 so that's not a problem. It just means that your Apple router supports having 16 million stations on your LAN.
Thanks for the info.

I'm not connecting to the apple router though (the ethernet cable comes from it). Is it correct that I get this specific IP adress?

Also can the fault be some kind of local dns server problem? the pi should probably run it's own dns service since 192.168.1.1 should redirect you to the piui page??

DougieLawson

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:31 am

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

On every machine/server/phone/internet TV/etc. in your network you have three significant pieces
1. Unique IP address (within your LAN segment)
2. Netmask (/24 or 255.255.255.0 is normal for a LAN with at most 253 station)
3. Gateway address (which should be identical on each)

The gateway is the controller, the gateway is usually the DHCP server and the DNS server. If everyone can ping the gateway then (firewalls permitting) they should be able to ping and connect to every one of the other 252 stations.

Draw a diagram on the back of a napkin, label up each machine and from each machine test connectivity to each of the others (starting with the gateway).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

JurgenRoman

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:38 am

Found the problem. Because of the apple router the ip is 10.0.x.x and thus wanting to connect to the pi's webserver i had to use that ip (found it using "hostname -I"), this brought me to the nginx standard page

connecting to the piui was possible by simply using "ip:9999"

I would like if i could just type in "http://piui/" and it would take me to the piui-page, but i can't seem to be able to do this
I added the "ip" in the /etc/hosts, should i enter ip:9999 ????

JurgenRoman

Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:40 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

On every machine/server/phone/internet TV/etc. in your network you have three significant pieces

The gateway is the controller, the gateway is usually the DHCP server and the DNS server. If everyone can ping the gateway then (firewalls permitting) they should be able to ping and connect to every one of the other 252 stations.

Draw a diagram on the back of a napkin, label up each machine and from each machine test connectivity to each of the others (starting with the gateway).
I figured out what i was doing wrong, I was connecting to an ip i had set in /etc/network/interfaces:
address 192.168.1.1

But this didn't work, figuring out the ip of the PI through "hostname -I" told me the ip

I changend the /etc/network/interfaces
address 10.0.x.x (not actually x's ofcourse)

which i could connect trough to the nginx webserver and the piui bij adding :9999 to the ip

Now that i have this working, i still have 2 questions:

-Is the ip i filled in after "address" a static ip? If i connect to another router, will i have the same ip again? Do i need to put 10.0.1.0 there?

-How can i tell the pi that something like "http://mywebsite/" should connect me to the "10.0.x.x:9999" web adress (something like adding a dns entry?)

JurgenRoman

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:13 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I have 1 more question about networking.

Why is it that i can connect to my raspberry pi via my home router using it's ip (and thus port :80) and this takes me to the nginx page.
But when i try to connect to my raspberry pi via my home router using it's ip and port :9999, it can't connect. It can connect to it tho when i am connected to the wifi my raspberry pi is emmiting

Return to “Troubleshooting”