Raspberry wino

How can I tell if it works?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:59 pm

My own new friend, my own RasPi came today. Hooray. You'd think.

But how can I tell whether the lack of anything to SEE is due to SD card not being right, a fault with the RasPi (unlikely, I know), poor PSU (unlikely as it's an RS one and the voltage on test points looks good) or poor connection somewhere or the TV not being tuned in properly?

No I won't whine about it not supporting normal VGA monitors of which I have plenty thankyou very much, and I understand why it won't as it would cost more, and why I have to try to make it work with my old TV via a coax aerial connector but I have seen NOTHING.

Yes the power LED lights up. Yes the OK activity LED flickers for some while but how can I tell what's happening? My own RasPi has been here all day since 8am and we spent hours trying (well, I have) and we haven't communicated at all.

I even forget how to set up an old TV but it says it's scanned and hasn't found any new stations. What else can I try?

I have changed the config.txt to uncomment the sd tv line so it assumes PAL but to no avail.
I've been removing the power by unplugging the tiny power connector as I have no idea how to be gentle and shutdown Linux properly as I can't see what's happening.

Help!

joan

Re: How can I tell if it works?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:43 pm

The output from the Pi is a composite signal, not an aerial UHF signal. You are stuffed unless your TV has a composite input (red, yellow, white phono plugs).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

benras

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:10 pm

First, make sure the SD is pushed ALL THE WAY in. There's a connection that's made when you do.

If you can't get video, you can still get to it via ssh client - download putty - and connect to your pi's ip address. You should get a prompt there if it's working.

Also, connect the TV first, select the right HDMI input first - THEN plug in the pi.

And if you've plugged it in and out a few times, you might want to try re-imaging the sd card. I think if you don't shut down properly, you can corrupt the card - I think-.

Raspberry wino

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:07 pm

joan wrote:The output from the Pi is a composite signal, not an aerial UHF signal. You are stuffed unless your TV has a composite input (red, yellow, white phono plugs).

Yes, of course, that makes sense, thanks. I've found an old phono lead (which fits properly!) but still no joy. I'm damned if I can get the TV to switch to accepting phono input though. :cry:
benras wrote:First, make sure the SD is pushed ALL THE WAY in. There's a connection that's made when you do.

If you can't get video, you can still get to it via ssh client - download putty - and connect to your pi's ip address. You should get a prompt there if it's working.

Also, connect the TV first, select the right HDMI input first - THEN plug in the pi.

And if you've plugged it in and out a few times, you might want to try re-imaging the sd card. I think if you don't shut down properly, you can corrupt the card - I think-.
No the SD card is fully plugged in. How would I find out the IP address? HDMI isn't relevant.

Do we know there's a risk of harm from just removing power?
The FAQs say: "To switch off: remove power."

Jim JKla

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

benras

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:13 pm

I don't think there's any risk to the pi in pulling the plug, but there could be a risk to your SD card.

To find your pi's IP address, you could log into your router and look at attached devices. Or you could check the IP of another computer on your network and start pinging the next consecutive address:

ping 192.168.1.3
ping 192.168.1.4

etc until you hit the last one. The last one will be the last thing you add to the network - make sure it's the pi.

joan

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Raspberry wino wrote:
joan wrote:The output from the Pi is a composite signal, not an aerial UHF signal. You are stuffed unless your TV has a composite input (red, yellow, white phono plugs).

Yes, of course, that makes sense, thanks. I've found an old phono lead (which fits properly!) but still no joy. I'm damned if I can get the TV to switch to accepting phono input though. :cry:
Better start searching for that old remote or manual in the loft!

Raspberry wino

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:15 pm

benras wrote:I don't think there's any risk to the pi in pulling the plug, but there could be a risk to your SD card.

To find your pi's IP address, you could log into your router and look at attached devices. Or you could check the IP of another computer on your network and start pinging the next consecutive address:

ping 192.168.1.3
ping 192.168.1.4

etc until you hit the last one. The last one will be the last thing you add to the network - make sure it's the pi.
Right, so I should do shutdown? Should the FAQ page be changed?

I found the address from the router as you suggest and logged in with ssh from this Ubuntu machine. I've tried a few commands and can confirm that my Pi is working nicely. Thanks very much for the help.

Raspberry wino

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Jim JKla wrote:There's some noob stuff on the wiki under Beginners

http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoardBeginners

http://elinux.org/RPi_Noob_Guides_for_W ... 16-18_beta
Thanks for the links, I've started reading them.

Thanks Joan. I have the TV remote but the on-screen menus don't mention the AV or phono input selection. I'm clearly missing something. I never had the manual as it wasn't new when I got it. Maybe I'll find it online or get an idea from the noob links. It's not so pressing (or depressing) now I know it works and will talk to me!

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:49 am

Raspberry wino wrote: Right, so I should do shutdown? Should the FAQ page be changed?
Like any unix or Linux system, if you have any choice at all, do a proper shutdown. Actually, that applies that *any* computer system. In any case the best fast shutdown is:

shutdown -h -t 0 now

Then wait for the lights to drop to only the power light on. *Then* pull the plug.

drgeoff

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Raspberry wino wrote:I have the TV remote but the on-screen menus don't mention the AV or phono input selection.
Is there a button on the remote marked 'Ext'?
Is there a button on the remote marked with an arrow going into a rectangle or into a circle?
On some TVs, selecting channel 0 will switch to the AV input.

Raspberry wino

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:47 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Raspberry wino wrote: Right, so I should do shutdown? Should the FAQ page be changed?
Like any unix or Linux system, if you have any choice at all, do a proper shutdown. Actually, that applies that *any* computer system. In any case the best fast shutdown is:

shutdown -h -t 0 now

Then wait for the lights to drop to only the power light on. *Then* pull the plug.
Good advice. Thanks, I will do this.
drgeoff wrote:
Raspberry wino wrote:I have the TV remote but the on-screen menus don't mention the AV or phono input selection.
Is there a button on the remote marked 'Ext'?
Is there a button on the remote marked with an arrow going into a rectangle or into a circle?
On some TVs, selecting channel 0 will switch to the AV input.
D'oh! I expected to see something in the on-screen menu and made numerous attempts to get to every possible option without success. Although I'd looked at the keys on the remote I hadn't seen the one marked AV, set well apart from the other source type keys at the top.

So it works! I used a phono lead from the RasPi to the video input and pressed AV and it's all ok.

My TV is shocking though - really fuzzy and not at all suitable for text!

Thanks for your help everyone. :D

Jim JKla

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:07 am

There's a piece about changing the font in the wiki that may help with the text resolution.

Not every text ratio is available for every font and not all fontfaces. If you have a computer on the network which I suspect it may be worth looking at the Blind Login method.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Noob_Guides_for_W ... 16-18_beta

There appears to be some issues with the new image I am just about to post some notes in the wiki.

It's also worth noting composite and HDMI are an either or but not both option and it defaults to composite if you plug both in.

Theres some notes about this on those noob pages. At the moment th new image only works the HDMI after reboot but not boot after shutdown.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Return to “Troubleshooting”