JustBeginners

software not loading properly on first use

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi there
We are just starting out on our raspberry pi learning journey and have run into a problem.

We formatted our SD card, loaded Noobs onto it with pre-installed raspbian. We then turned on the raspberry pi for the first time. It gave us the option of which OS system to load so we chose raspbian.

It then said that it was loading the software and we waited quite a while . It then said that there was an error and it couldn't load so I pressed the shift key to give us the recovery screen.

I got a whole load of code on the screen the last item of which was:

3.479801]---[end kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount roof fs on unknown-block (179,2)

Any suggestions as to what has gone wrong and what we need to do about it?

Thanks very much in advance.

JustBeginners!

DougieLawson

Re: software not loading properly on first use

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Hold (or toggle) the [SHIFT] key while you boot. See if the NOOBS recovery system can get your Raspbian system running.

If not you'll need to reformat your SDCard (use a camera, phone or tablet to do that) and try again with a fresh download of NOOBS.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

JustBeginners

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:13 pm

OK thanks very much, and this is probably a stupid question but I don't want to reck my raspberry pi before I've started!

My raspberry pi is still currently turned on. Do I turn off the power and then try to reboot? And if that doesn't work do I turn off the power again and then start again with a new version of noobs or is there a better way of doing it?

Many thanks

RobHenry

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Just pull the power. Doing so carries a very small risk of corrupting the data on the sd card but since yours is already duff you have nothing to lose. You will never damage the pi itself by pulling the power while it is running.

JustBeginners

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:02 pm

Brilliant. Thanks very much :D

Return to “Troubleshooting”